First time visitor questions

boocat149

Nov 6, 2004
We will arrive Puerto Plata November 17. I am really pleased that a poster on LP referred this link as many questions have been answered by reading previous posts but of course I still have a few more.

We will stay at Marien Coral ---- yes - yes an AI but in the last couple of years we have found this type of accommodation convenient for one week vacations. Having said that ---we always explore outside the resorts, so here come the questions.

It appears that we can walk into Puerto Plata town but I need a little info on public transport within town. We usually end up walking about for hours and being a couple of those old fogeys that AZB referred to in his post 11/04, we often find ourselves walked out and looking for transport back. Yes I know we can flag down a taxi but riding public transport can be fun. So:

Any clues on recognizing the name of a bus that will bring us close to the resort?

What does a single fare cost?

We also like to see some surrounding places. For instance while in Veradero, we took a bus to Havana for the day. Any suggestions on a bus trip of no more than 2 hours to nearby towns and where to find that bus station?

Rented a video from the library on DR and it showed the cable car. How do I get there?

We always expect to pay more as tourists but a few examples of costs always helps me know if I am really being ripped off.
(read the answers but now can?t remember on which posts I saw the info)

: cost of driver /hr for tour?

: cost of taxi to the fort from the opposite side of town?

: are there folks who do massage on the beach? What would I expect to pay?

Tourist office still on 1 Avenida Hermanas Mirabal Parque Costeroe?
Guide books are printed so far in advance that often the location has moved by the time we arrive.

On occasions in other countries, we have met locals who have invited us to their homes. I need suggestions as to what would be an appropriate gift for a thank you. We have for instance brought pastries but something else may be more appropriate in the DR.

That?s about it.
Thanks in advance
Kathy

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
There are caros that will pick up as many as 7 people and they are about 20 pesos. There are Gwa Gwa's that hold as many as 20. They look like mini vans. They are 10-15 pesos or at least they were. You need to be heading in the direction of Sosua to get back to the resorts. Your best bet is a taxi from Puerto Plata back since they charge much less than the tourist taxis out of there.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
boocat149 said:
: cost of driver /hr for tour?

: cost of taxi to the fort from the opposite side of town?

That?s about it.
Thanks in advance
Kathy

I paid 200 pesos per hour flat rate last week at Playa Dorada.
This used to be less than half the listed prices but with the incredible rising peso maybe it's a bit more than half now.
Most drivers scoff at this price and none will do this for 1 hour.
I usually hire them for at least 3 hours and it also depends on how far you are going.
3 hours in Puerto Plata for 600 pesos is no problem but for 3 hours in Sosua it is more like 800 plus 200 pesos per additional hour.
I usually buy them a couple of beers and they all want to see me manana.