Need some advice - RE: Santo Domingo

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I plan to go back to the DR in April, and my favorite brother and his family are going to join us. They've never been to the country, and are very excited to see the country where my husband was raised. I've travelled to many parts of the country, including Semana, Barahona, Boca Chica, Santiago, but mostly stayed in the POP-Sosua area. I've spent a couple of nights in Santo Domingo, but they were just part of a commute to Haiti and Puerto Rico.

Truthfully, SD scares the crap out of me. The time I did spend there was spent in my hotel room because we were nearly robbed on the Malecon. Plus, my husband put the fear of God in me due to the fact that he also hates the Capital and says it's too dangerous. However, my brother really wants to see the Capital. I tried convincing him that we could all take a day tour there, but he's quite adamant he'd like to rent a van and go (stubborn like me). SO I sent him Jan's and Cleef's versions of driving in the DR - he still wants to do it. When I lived in Sosua, I would drive often to POP, so I have a good handle on what it takes to drive there. He figures it can't be much different than driving in Saskatchewan (there's no lanes, you often run into horses and other animals on the road, and people pass wherever they want)!

Truth be known, I'm much more Dominicanized than I was during my brief stays in the Capital. Anyways, I know I'll give in and drive. If you were taking people on a tour of SD, and had never really seen the sights yourself, where would you go? The decision has already been made to visit the Zona Colonial - how long would it take to see everything you need to see there? Would it be worth spending the whole day there, or are there other sights we shouldn't miss?

Thanks all for your advice and input.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Personally, I wouldn't drive to see the Colonial Zone. The roads are very narrow, parking is a nightmare, and you can pretty much see everything while walking. Plus I get lost all the time through the maze of roads, but maybe thats just me. We always take a taxi when visiting the C.Z.

Of course, the rest of the city is a completely different story.

I have been to Santo Domingo like 10 times and never had a problem with crime. But a friend of mine just got robbed at gunpoint in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Go figure.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Thanks, Conchman. Good advice - I never would've thought about parking before going there. By the way, I've been meaning to send you an e-mail about setting us up with tickets to Ocean World. We're very much looking forward to it!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Hey Trina, take two or three days and visit SD. Go and see everything! Walk through the colonial zone - it is like you've ended up in the south of Spain somewhere in a little town. First time Richard and I went there, we walked for miles, just enjoying the narrow cobblestone streets, the red flowers hanging from the balconies and the general ambiance. Truthfully, I cannot tell you where all we were as we followed our noses but we simply played tourist and went into every tourist attraction we could find. Defnitely wander through the cathedral. There is also an old fort (don't know the correct name) that is fun to climb up and down the stairs, check out the graffiti and the narrow gun slots - and simply the construction of it.

I've not been to the botanical gardens but next time we get there we'll plan a visit. Eat good food, enjoy the ambiance and take the normal and usual precautions you would take in a big city.

For me, it is actually a little easier to drive in SD than the Cabarete, Puerto Plata, Sosua corridor. Somehow with more traffic, people actually do stop at traffic lights and my feeling is that generally the rules of the road are a little more obeyed.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Chris said:
Hey Trina, take two or three days and visit SD. Go and see everything! Walk through the colonial zone - it is like you've ended up in the south of Spain somewhere in a little town. First time Richard and I went there, we walked for miles, just enjoying the narrow cobblestone streets, the red flowers hanging from the balconies and the general ambiance. Truthfully, I cannot tell you where all we were as we followed our noses but we simply played tourist and went into every tourist attraction we could find. Defnitely wander through the cathedral. There is also an old fort (don't know the correct name) that is fun to climb up and down the stairs, check out the graffiti and the narrow gun slots - and simply the construction of it.

I've not been to the botanical gardens but next time we get there we'll plan a visit. Eat good food, enjoy the ambiance and take the normal and usual precautions you would take in a big city.

For me, it is actually a little easier to drive in SD than the Cabarete, Puerto Plata, Sosua corridor. Somehow with more traffic, people actually do stop at traffic lights and my feeling is that generally the rules of the road are a little more obeyed.

You guys have already made me feel a whole lot better - thanks!

My comments about SD weren't meant as a slight to the city, and I would never discourage people from visiting. I've heard from many who live there that it's a wonderful, beautiful city. I'm not a "big city" girl myself, born and raised in a town of about 700 people. Now, I live in Calgary, which has close to a million people, but to me, Calgary is just a big little city.

My experience on the Malecon could've been greatly derived from my thoughts before I travelled there. It honestly could be a figment of my imagination - however, we didn't take the chance of finding out. A friend and I were walking, and these two big Dominicans suddenly fell into step with us. One moved quickly ahead, but we knew they were together, because we'd been shoulder checking, fearing the worst. Anyways, the one that moved ahead went behind a wall, and I could see him pulling something like a chrome bar out of his backpack. The other, that fell into step with us, moved closer to us. Bells went off in my head, I grabbed my friend by the hand, and we scooted, through traffic, across the street to the other side of the malecon. We looked back, and both men were standing together watching us, dumbfounded. It was amazing, the malecon was so busy, but at the moment we needed to cross, it was like a huge break happened in traffic. So like I said, I could be totally wrong, but we weren't about to try our luck and see what happened!

ETA: This same scenario could've easily happened anywhere, including Calgary, so I'm just going to chalk it up to a bad experience.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The capital is no more dangerous than most large European cities. I feel completely safe walking around, although - as in any large city - you have to be on your guard and not walk around looking witless with an open handbag as if to say 'dippy girly here, please help yourself'. ;) Looking foreign makes you slightly more vulnerable, but you knowing Spanish and your husband being Dominican should make things much easier.

Driving is another matter. I would not recommend driving in SD if you don't know the place well. Better to base yourself somewhere within walking distance or a short taxi ride from the sights, which are basically the Colonial Zone, Plaza de la Cultura, the Acuario, the Botanic Gardens and possibly the Zoo, Parque Mirador Sur and Mirador Norte. The Malecon, Gazcue or the Zone itself are probably the best places to stay.

In any case, Trina, you are asking these questions as if there weren't several posters living in the capital who would be delighted to meet you and show you around during your visit. Put me down on your list!

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Chirimoya said:
In any case, Trina, you are asking these questions as if there weren't several posters living in the capital who would be delighted to meet you and show you around during your visit. Put me down on your list!

I've never been one to impose, but if it meant the chance to finally have the opportunity to meet you, I'm all for imposing! We'll be in touch closer to the time of arrival. Thanks again!

PS: Maybe we could have our very own AMETland experience! While feeling terribly sorry for you, your thread totally cracked me up - I was in tears due to your narrative.

Last edited:

vinnie

Mar 19, 2003
wrong wrong wrong the capital is not as dangerous for dominicans but for non doms if ur in the wrong area at day u mite aswell be a walking wallet at nite in most areas dont bother unless with a local u know and trust or in a tourist zone even then be aware of whatsgoin on around u illive near the botanic gardens were every other nite there is an incident in the area gunpoint muggings jewelry snatches store hold ups drug shootings to name but afew ok during daylight at nite be aware my girlfreind had a gun put to her head at an atm in the colonial zone in day lite with people about she is dominican and is always very aware when using an atm but seeing as though there was a member of the policia nacional standing very close by. the last thing she expected was him to turn a blind eye which he did ....but you will generaly find the tourist police a lot better keep your eye out for them if they are about you are probably ok

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Santo Domingo is safe!

Sure, the newspapers headlines include robbery here and kidnapping there, but the reality is that those things don't happen as often as in other cities of comparable size in the world.

As such, newspapers indulge in such stories because beside corruption in government, there isn't anything else to write a news story about!

Its very safe.

When in the Colonial Zone, realize that Calle El Conde (the pedestrianized street) crosses the zone through its center. So, if you get lost in the zone, once you cross a north-south avenue, walk towards the south (if you are north of El Conde) or to the north (if you are south of El Conde) and you'll find your way around. The area is a grid in north-south, east-west narrow streets that for the most part meet at 90 degree angles. Don't drive in the Colonial Zone simply because the area was built 500 years ago! As such, driving was not incorporated into the designs of the city (the Columbus family would never had guessed that cars would be zipping through SDQ, actually they did not even knew what a car was!) as such, there are lots of blind corners. Many buildings are built right up to the corner!

Also, while walking, notice that sidewalks were built in the Colonial Zone during Trujillo's time, before that there were no sidewalks. That explains why the sidewalks there are so tight! But the area is very attractive, you will love it and your previous negative experience of the DR will be overshadowed by the beauty of the area - especially if you are a history buff.

Even if you are not a history buff, just keep in mind that many of the historic buildings there are not just historic because they are old, but because they were part of history. For example, the Casas Reales Museum is in a building that was the first court of law of the entire hemisphere having jurisdiction for the entire Spanish empire in the Americas, later the jurisdiction was reduced to the Caribbean islands area. Also, there are many firsts like the first cathedral in the hemisphere, the first house, street, hospital, etc. And also keep in mind that most of the historic buildings were already standing and in full operation for a good 200 years before any anglo-european ever casted their eyes on the areas that today make up the US and Canada!

In the modern part of town, the Botanical Gardens are nice, one of the largest in Latin America. You could easily spend an entire afternoon or day there. There is a small train that shuttles people around and give them a quick tour, the grounds are massive. Its hard to realize that you are ringed by a city with 3 million people in such a tranquil place.

Parque Mirador del Este is where many of the affluent go to catch some fresh air and jog or exercise either early in the morning or in the evenings. Its a nice long park bounded by affluent neighborhoods to the north. Avenida Anacaona for example have some very attractive residences. The Guacara Taina nightclub is in the vicinity also, you should check it out. Its unlike any other club in the world.

If you stay at one of the major hotels in the Malecon (Jaragua, Centenario, Santo Domingo, Melia, etc), the people at the front desk might be able to get you a tour agreement at the national palace. If permission is granted, dress nicely because otherwise you will be turn down if you look average or unkept or even touristy. The palace was built by Trujillo as his personal mansion. Today its filled with government offices and supposely, Trujillo's ghost still wanders around slamming doors and moving cristal chandaliers. The building was built in an extreme opulance. Its impressive from the outside, but even more so on the inside especially in the hall where there are two rows of caryatid columns (columns shaped like women) with grand chandaliers, its almost like the Dominican version of Versaille. Just impressive.

There are many other places of interest, you might want to stop by at the tourist office on Avenida Mexico, near the Colonial Zone for more info.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
vinnie said:
wrong wrong wrong the capital is not as dangerous for dominicans but for non doms if ur in the wrong area at day u mite aswell be a walking wallet at nite in most areas dont bother unless with a local u know and trust or in a tourist zone even then be aware of whatsgoin on around u illive near the botanic gardens were every other nite there is an incident in the area gunpoint muggings jewelry snatches store hold ups drug shootings to name but afew ok during daylight at nite be aware my girlfreind had a gun put to her head at an atm in the colonial zone in day lite with people about she is dominican and is always very aware when using an atm but seeing as though there was a member of the policia nacional standing very close by. the last thing she expected was him to turn a blind eye which he did ....but you will generaly find the tourist police a lot better keep your eye out for them if they are about you are probably ok

Don't take this the wrong way Vinnie, but you might want to try using periods (.) and uppercase letters to make it more readable...

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Excellent info, all. Thank you very much. Nal (Can I call you that? :classic: ), it's nice to see someone who loves his country and knows so much about his country as you. I frequently enjoy reading your posts.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Chris said:
There is also an old fort (don't know the correct name) that is fun to climb up and down the stairs, check out the graffiti and the narrow gun slots - and simply the construction of it.

The fort's name is Fort Ozama. Not a whole lot to see, but yeah, fun to climb through, particularly if you're with kids...

Also, while in CZ, go to the Casa de Colon...

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Nal0whs said:
Parque Mirador del Este is where many of the affluent go to catch some fresh air and jog or exercise either early in the morning or in the evenings. Its a nice long park bounded by affluent neighborhoods to the north. Avenida Anacaona for example have some very attractive residences. The Guacara Taina nightclub is in the vicinity also, you should check it out. Its unlike any other club in the world.

Nals, that's the Parque Mirador DEL SUR, not del Este. The Mirador del Este is on the other side of the river, on the way to the airport. I oughta know -- I used to jog and bike through the Mirador del Sur all the time when I lived in SD. I'm surprised you would make a mistake like that...

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
I know someone that could give you a walk tour of Historical sites in the Colonial zone. I walked with him after moving here and learned so much about places I would normally not even notice. He's a little off the cuff (different) but extremely smart, and safe guy.
TEHAMA

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Keith R said:
Nals, that's the Parque Mirador DEL SUR, not del Este. The Mirador del Este is on the other side of the river, on the way to the airport. I oughta know -- I used to jog and bike through the Mirador del Sur all the time when I lived in SD. I'm surprised you would make a mistake like that...
Oh, thanks for pointing that out.

Sometimes, I am thinking of one thing and something else comes out, it happens from time to time. I'm only human. :laugh:

But, yeah, how did I made that mistake? I mean, I go to Mirador del Sur all the time.