Buying and servicing a car in the DR

augie

Nov 26, 2004
What makes of cars are easiest and least expensive to get serviced in the DR?Particulary in the North Coast Puerta Platta,Sasoua, Cabarete area.

Is there such a thing as a warranty a new cars?used cars?

If so do the warranty's cover the suspension?

Is it better to buy a new/used car in the DR or ship from USA/Puerta Rico?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Those are all easy questions!

A Toyota Corrola is by far the vehicle of choice in the DR!Parts are available on every street corner,and the "so-called" mechanics here have the most experience with that make and model car.New cars come with a new car garantee,used car usually do not.The new car garantee is usually two years here,and not as comprehensive as in the USA,Canada,or Europe.Have to check each Model/Make for their details.
If you need to purchase a "yeepeta","SUV",the Mitsubishi Montero is the most popular make and model here,but all are available
Buy a good used car here,never import.Too many potencial problems with customs.
Be very careful from whom you buy. :bandit: :bandit: Get help from those on DR1 with experience buying here!!!!
Don't forget about all the types of insurance sold here!!
Good Luck!! Cris Colon

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
good to know

Criss Colon said:
A Toyota Corrola is by far the vehicle of choice in the DR!Parts are available on every street corner,and the "so-called" mechanics here have the most experience with that make and model car.New cars come with a new car garantee,used car usually do not.The new car garantee is usually two years here,and not as comprehensive as in the USA,Canada,or Europe.Have to check each Model/Make for their details.
If you need to purchase a "yeepeta","SUV",the Mitsubishi Montero is the most popular make and model here,but all are available
Buy a good used car here,never import.Too many potencial problems with customs.
Be very careful from whom you buy. :bandit: :bandit: Get help from those on DR1 with experience buying here!!!!
Don't forget about all the types of insurance sold here!!
Good Luck!! Cris Colon

Chris,

Thanks for that info. I'll be in the market for a car before too long, and was already leaning toward a corolla based on the great experience myself and family have had with reliability. It's good to know that they are also vehicles that would be easy to get worked on in the DR.

The one concern I have about getting a compact car as opposed to an SUV or truck is the wear and tear on the suspension with the bad roads. I'd be interested to know if anyone has knowledge/experience with upgrading the suspension of a Toyota or similar small car. What would be the cost of parts /labor to install heavy-duty shocks etc., and would it be worth the investment?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The Toyota Tundra is very popular here also.

The roads here really are dangerous! If you hit a hole,tree,pig,horse,cow,or ANYTHING on a dark highway at speed you are in a World of "manure" no matter what you are driving.It can happen anywhere.I hit a hole in front of Palacio de Bellas Artes,Maximo Gomez,one night so hard it broke my transmission off the motor!!
If you have someone that goes back and forth to the "States",they can bring you heavy duty shocks , springs,struts,or whatever the car you buy might need.One thing that might determine what you buy,is where you will live,and where you will be driving.CCCCCCCCCCC

ps.,"Labor" to install whatever you need should be less than 1000 pesos.It is really very easy!!

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Front Brake Pads Changed On My Nissan Pathfinder...

I had this done today and the entire thing cost me 1250 pesos. I took the price without asking any questions...it sounded so inexpensive. I just made sure the pads were the same.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
As with buying ANYTHING in the DR, you should be prepared to TAKE YOUR TIME!!!!! Buy in haste & you will (generally) be paying over the odds or getting something that will not last you very long.

For cars I would suggest Gregg over in Sosua. He has knowledge of the local market & knows which dealers/showrooms in Santiago are best value for money. His garage is a modern one & he will do a computer check on your car to ensure it is in good shape!! If you want to come over to Puerto Plata, you can call my mechanic (he speaks English so no language problems if you don't speak Spanish!!) & he will take a day away from the garage to take you to Santiago looking for what you decide you want to buy. So as not to waste his or Gregg's time, I would recommend visiting a few showrooms (read car sales lots) & find out what suits your pocket in terms of year, make & model before taking the trip to Santiago.

As the military saying goes - "Time spent in Recce is time seldom wasted" so look hard & long in determining what it is you want to buy & then search BEST price for it!! ~ Grahame.