Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey My DR1 People.. need some advice for a good friend

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey My DR1 People.. need some advice for a good friend

Hey everybody.... need some good advice for one of my best friends.....

he`s 25 years old, lives in Santiago, DR. and knows perfect english...... also he has a major in Business management in Pontificia Universidad Catolica Madre y Maestra (PUCMM) and works at a very respectful company in Santiago.......

The thing is that he wants to leave the country and go work and live in the United States, and, of course he doesnt have legal papers to stay..... he has family there that are willing to help him out, friends that have jobs for him, he even has a girlfriend there.... he is an only child and wants to make things happen in his life to have a better future....
    he has everything to make it work in NY but has is not a resident nor does he have a work visa, just a normal tourist visa

I tried to help him out but he wants to hear from people that are there and know what it`s all about.... Of course right away i came to my DR1 people for advise for the kid.....

What do u guys think.....
    Thanks a lot in advance

STIOP

Post Thanks / Like

Default He needs to get a job offer in writing

And request a work visa to the US. Ortherwise he should be patient, marry his girl friend and have her do the filing, or as others have suggested, get a fiancÚ visa which seems to be quicker.

The basic point is this: He must be legal in the US if he wants to get ahead. He cant go around scurrying from the INS or the security people.

Also, as an illegal alien, he will never, no matter what people say, be paid enough for his work.

I think that a little time and patience can make this happen.

HB

It occurs to me that he could apply to a graduate program, if he has decent grades...there are a lot of programs.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly
    And request a work visa to the US. Ortherwise he should be patient, marry his girl friend and have her do the filing, or as others have suggested, get a fiancÚ visa which seems to be quicker.

The basic point is this: He must be legal in the US if he wants to get ahead. He cant go around scurrying from the INS or the security people.

Also, as an illegal alien, he will never, no matter what people say, be paid enough for his work.

I think that a little time and patience can make this happen.

HB

It occurs to me that he could apply to a graduate program, if he has decent grades...there are a lot of programs.

What about his girlfriend...? can she get 'em a fiancee visa...? and then proceed with permanent status...?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks hillbilly

hey thank you very much for your help HillBilly

i`ll make sure that he gets all of your replys to help him out.......

gracias

STIOP

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STIOP
    Hey everybody.... need some good advice for one of my best friends.....

he`s 25 years old, lives in Santiago, DR. and knows perfect english...... also he has a major in Business management in Pontificia Universidad Catolica Madre y Maestra (PUCMM) and works at a very respectful company in Santiago.......

The thing is that he wants to leave the country and go work and live in the United States, and, of course he doesnt have legal papers to stay..... he has family there that are willing to help him out, friends that have jobs for him, he even has a girlfriend there.... he is an only child and wants to make things happen in his life to have a better future....
    he has everything to make it work in NY but has is not a resident nor does he have a work visa, just a normal tourist visa

I tried to help him out but he wants to hear from people that are there and know what it`s all about.... Of course right away i came to my DR1 people for advise for the kid.....

What do u guys think.....
    Thanks a lot in advance

STIOP
    Why do you want to be a 2nd class citizen in another country when you can be a 1st class citizen in your own country.

It is not worth it! Yes, you would be able to have a garage sale; bigger house size and bigger debts. As a human being you would not improve anything but to be a bigger and respected full of debt consumer. Then when you travel with your american passport you would have to say that you're a Canadian.

In the USA you would be classified as a :

a) white latino or
    b) latino (meaning indian, mulatto, black etc.)

You are much better off if you come to Canada instead. More of a just society and Canadians are not the "in your face type"

Please, take this advice as a first rate personal experience plus a good deal of research on this topic including advising for a fee.

Good LUck!!!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Que venga en yola !
    le sale mas facil

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tomgallo
    Why do you want to be a 2nd class citizen in another country when you can be a 1st class citizen in your own country.

It is not worth it! Yes, you would be able to have a garage sale; bigger house size and bigger debts. As a human being you would not improve anything but to be a bigger and respected full of debt consumer. Then when you travel with your american passport you would have to say that you're a Canadian.

In the USA you would be classified as a :

a) white latino or
    b) latino (meaning indian, mulatto, black etc.)

You are much better off if you come to Canada instead. More of a just society and Canadians are not the "in your face type"

Please, take this advice as a first rate personal experience plus a good deal of research on this topic including advising for a fee.

Good LUck!!!
    Why in the hell would he want to leave Santiago to go freeze up in the artic circle, Come on lets be for real.

Why do you think all you Canadians are in DR because it is too damm cold up there!!!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend in a similar situation in Santiago - also a graduate of la ucamaima, he has already had his interview, his paperwork is all in, one of his cousin's is married to a minnesota twin so money is not an issue, and he has a job lined up for him in minneapolis, but still he has heard nothing - the US embassy said he would have a reply by July.

Hillbilly's suggestion of graduate school may be helpful. Tell him to look into different programs. Since PUCMM is a good school it may help him get in.

The girlfriend can try - but in the eyes of the u.s. embassy, a educated santiaguero is the same as a sanky.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not quite

But if he had an "interview" that sort of means that he is requesting residence, doesn't it?

Can't do much now until they decide on that.

HB

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tomgallo
    I have to respond to this... Simply one answer, experience. If I did not leave my home country (which I love) I would not have had an eighth of the experience which make me a human being today. Let the man go and learn something else... experience something else... and decide whether to come back or not. (Hopefully not by yola..!)

It should be mandatory 'world policy' for every citizen of the world to spend a year in the US, a year in Europe, a year in the middle east and year in the Far East...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast