Beware Boca Chica Beach Scam

JonBravo

Nov 27, 2004
Love DR and will continue to go back stayed at the Sofitel Frances most beautiful intimate hotel in the Zona Colonial.

Just got back from Dominican Republic overall a great trip however the best spanish phrase to know is:

"Cuanto es" LOL

Translated that means "How Much" at most local shops everything is negotiable. All your conversations when purchasing food or service and a there isn't a menu or price tag around should include those words.

All Tourists/Locals (yep they ran the scam on the locals also) should be WARNED about the following scam I've seen run at the beach in BOCA CHICA CONSISTENTLY.

As soon as you drive/walk up to the beach assuming you will be hit by greeted by men whistling and yelling to come over to there area of the beach where they will rent you a table with chairs and a lounge chair to sunbathe if you like... Warning if you drive and park you must pay 20 pesos to the "Administration" that's it only 20 pesos to that person with a badge do not I repeat do not pay any to watch your car if you drove the car is very safe.

The local scamartists oops businessmen lol will rent you a table and chairs for approximately 500 pesos and a lounge chair for approximately 200 pesos. Negotiate 350 for the Table including chairs and 200/150 for the lounge chair a fair price that leaves them a nice profit.

Once you've started to relax at your area:

Do NOT, Do NOT, Do NOT (get the point) purchase anything from the person(s) that sold you the table or lounge chair (Why you might say remember the top "Cuanto es"):

A) You aren't presented with a menu set in stone Prices as if at a reputable place of business. Thus buyer beware ;).

The scam is if you order anything from the scamartists they give you a final bill totaling at a minimum 4000 pesos to which they try to negotiate something lower but you have still overpaid by almost 60 to 80 dollars american for food/drinks directly from the stand vendors.

For example if you walk over to any of the food stands and order your meal the person who manages the stand will bring the food over to your table at the beach "DELIVERY FREE OF CHARGE." You have the option of paying the person that manages the food stand directly before the meal or after the meal I would pay before hand the average price of a large fish and side dishes range about 290 Pesos per person.

The above prices leave a nice profit for the seller bear this in mind as I'm not trying to get the cheapest price just a fair one ;).

If you follow the above you should have a nice time at Boca Chica if any issues arise beyond what was agreed upon immediately locate the Tourist Police don't negotiate go to the Tourist Police and explain your situation all will be worked out amicably. As the Tourist Police are aware of the scam on the beach.

hansbert

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 1, 2002
linguisticservices.aio-world.net
place where they do not rib you off

Go to a beach bar called "Fuente del mar" run by a Swiss. They will not ribb you off the way you were talking about. Some of the bars run by Italians do not do that either. Beware of Dominican thieves: There are plenty of them around ! The best thing to do is not to give them any chance.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Thanks for the warning but ...

JonBravo said:
A) You aren't presented with a menu set in stone Prices as if at a reputable place of business. Thus buyer beware ;).
other than buying a drink in a bar, who in their right mind would ever order something without knowing the price?

Not that you deserve to be taken advantage of but this is idiotic to say the least.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
If you go to Playa Vista (Peter and Flemming post in their blog here) and several other places where the chairs are under control of the restaurant and their employees wait on you then this type of thing won't happen. Anyone who pays RD$350 and RD4150 after "negotiating" for a beach chair and a little table is off their rocker (or off their beach chair).

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Why do you say that...

Malibook said:
other than buying a drink in a bar, who in their right mind would ever order something without knowing the price?

Not that you deserve to be taken advantage of but this is idiotic to say the least.

That is a standard way of taking a vacation around the world. I have traveled to many countries and ordered a drink on the beach without having to think about the price. I assume it is a fair price and it usually is. Why is it in this country that you find scams like this? The original message is right. In this country you NEVER NEVER order anything without asking 'Cuanto Es'. Now my question is...why in this country do you have to be so paranoid?

By the way, you don't have to pay those crazy prices on the beach. If it is not correct...don't be afraid to call over a policeman. If he/she does not resolve the issue to your satisfaction, request another policeman. If they don't help...ask to be taken to the police station to resolve the matter. You will eventually get a sane officer that will resolve the issue. Don't be afraid of these people here. Their bark is much louder than their bite. If you have to call over a few other tourist and ask them to stand by you as the matter is resolved. Or get a few numbers from people on this board who are in the local area...they will help you. I know I will if you are in the Santiago area. I will get the matter resolved.

This kind of scam is really what gets me angry.

tomgallo

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 25, 2004
Snuffy said:
That is a standard way of taking a vacation around the world. I have traveled to many countries and ordered a drink on the beach without having to think about the price. I assume it is a fair price and it usually is. Why is it in this country that you find scams like this? The original message is right. In this country you NEVER NEVER order anything without asking 'Cuanto Es'. Now my question is...why in this country do you have to be so paranoid?

By the way, you don't have to pay those crazy prices on the beach. If it is not correct...don't be afraid to call over a policeman. If he/she does not resolve the issue to your satisfaction, request another policeman. If they don't help...ask to be taken to the police station to resolve the matter. You will eventually get a sane officer that will resolve the issue. Don't be afraid of these people here. Their bark is much louder than their bite. If you have to call over a few other tourist and ask them to stand by you as the matter is resolved. Or get a few numbers from people on this board who are in the local area...they will help you. I know I will if you are in the Santiago area. I will get the matter resolved.

This kind of scam is really what gets me angry.

I am not surprised!!!

There is an open season for tourists all over the world. CNN had a story of a Danish tourist that was billed usd$4000 at a Budapest restaurant for a two person meal not including wine. If you are a tourist you ought to have money (true) To qualify as a tourist you need to have spending money otherwise you're entering the country illegally (any country). You're an easy target and they just want to help you unload your vacation money not assigned to pay your rent or groceries back home.

You're not a world traveller at all. This is not a Dominican situation it is a world situation. You have to upgrade yourself from tourist = moron to a traveller = educated and informed wise traveller. Sometimes greed or trying to save usd$1.99 get you in this kind of trouble. Just pay 70% of what you would paid back home and go to a reputable place and stop thinking that because you're in a poor country you only need to bring peanuts as legal tender.

When I travel I do quite a bit of research including the countrie's customs and more important the history and the name of it's president/primer minister.

I do suggest you know the name of your president/primer minister before you go.

Tell me who is Mississauga's mayor?

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
JonBravo said:
Do NOT, Do NOT, Do NOT (get the point) purchase anything from the person(s) that sold you the table or lounge chair (Why you might say remember the top "Cuanto es"):

If you rent a table the chair comes with it
The only people who rent tables are generally the dominicans from the capital on their weekly sunday beach outing and they bring their own food and drink.
If you are buying from them, then the table and both chairs are included.

Mi dos centavos

Spirit7

Aug 26, 2004
Stay away from those 'tigueres'.

In the end, you may spend as much or more with the scam artists than if you went to the Hotel Hamaca and paid the daily rate to enjoy all the facilities. Head straight for a hotel and forget those 'entrepeneurs'.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
JonBravo said:
Love DR and will continue to go back stayed at the Sofitel Frances most beautiful intimate hotel in the Zona Colonial.

Just got back from Dominican Republic overall a great trip however the best spanish phrase to know is:

"Cuanto es" LOL

Translated that means "How Much" at most local shops everything is negotiable. All your conversations when purchasing food or service and a there isn't a menu or price tag around should include those words.

All Tourists/Locals (yep they ran the scam on the locals also) should be WARNED about the following scam I've seen run at the beach in BOCA CHICA CONSISTENTLY.

As soon as you drive/walk up to the beach assuming you will be hit by greeted by men whistling and yelling to come over to there area of the beach where they will rent you a table with chairs and a lounge chair to sunbathe if you like... Warning if you drive and park you must pay 20 pesos to the "Administration" that's it only 20 pesos to that person with a badge do not I repeat do not pay any to watch your car if you drove the car is very safe.

The local scamartists oops businessmen lol will rent you a table and chairs for approximately 500 pesos and a lounge chair for approximately 200 pesos. Negotiate 350 for the Table including chairs and 200/150 for the lounge chair a fair price that leaves them a nice profit.

Once you've started to relax at your area:

The scam is if you order anything from the scamartists they give you a final bill totaling at a minimum 4000 pesos to which they try to negotiate something lower but you have still overpaid by almost 60 to 80 dollars american for food/drinks directly from the stand vendors.

For example if you walk over to any of the food stands and order your meal the person who manages the stand will bring the food over to your table at the beach "DELIVERY FREE OF CHARGE." You have the option of paying the person that manages the food stand directly before the meal or after the meal I would pay before hand the average price of a large fish and side dishes range about 290 Pesos per person.

The above prices leave a nice profit for the seller bear this in mind as I'm not trying to get the cheapest price just a fair one ;).

If you follow the above you should have a nice time at Boca Chica if any issues arise beyond what was agreed upon immediately locate the Tourist Police don't negotiate go to the Tourist Police and explain your situation all will be worked out amicably. As the Tourist Police are aware of the scam on the beach.

BLAH BLAH BLAH, NEXT TIME PARK SIT ENJOY ORDER A COKE AND DO NOT PAY ANYTHING. THAT'S WHAT I DO.

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
All of this kind of information is just chasing the average tourist (like myself) back into the AI's. This would not be good news for the proprietors of local bars and restaurants. Who wants to fight with someone while they are on vacation?

Last year we tended to head down in front of Onno's in Cabarete. Syvester minded the chairs there and did not charge us for the use of the chairs, but he would bring us beers and food at our request from either Bamboo or Onno's. We checked at the end of the day and he was not overcharging us for either. He made his money from tips. We would settle up the tab and then give him a nice tip. This bacame an almost daily ritual.

If I have to start worrying about being heavily overcharged by scam artists on the beach for food and drinks, I WILL head back to the AI's simply to avoid the hassles. One of the reasons we came out of the AI's was because this did not seem to be happening.

Just a word to the wise for proprietors of beach bars and restaurants and those who make their living off the beach. I am not above tipping for good service, and I do understand that the price of food and booze has gone up, but I am not about to put up with being scammed or having to fight about my bill at the end of the day.

Rose

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Here's a tip

Go find a bar that appeals to you. Go inside from the beach and ASK THEM what it costs. If you don't like it go elsewhere.

In Boca Chica I'd say stick with Peter and Flemming's place as they are not shysters and they speak and several other languages including Danish and Japanese as well as Spanish.

boca chica dave

Sep 25, 2004
Verde Luna

Yes, Playa Vista with Peter is fine. About 4 restuarants to the west is Verde Luna. Owned by italian named Marco. He speaks pretty good english, has good fresh food and is a real paranoia when keeping track of your bill. He reviews it with you. To my knowledge just about all beach restuarants do'nt charge for chairs and tables as long as you have a couple of drinks or something to eat. If they want more just grab a tourist police and it will be rectifyed.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Surely you jest

boca chica dave said:
If they want more just grab a tourist police and it will be rectifyed.

The tourist police won't do bupkus. And for most visitng tourists they are of scant help since almost none speak anything but Spanish.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i always refer people to pan pan (?) right next to the costalung (green chairs) toward the end of the beach.......pan pan is the second to last chairs....the LAST guy is a bastard.

I usualy pay 100 pesos for the day.....150 is i sit in costalunga's chairs....i buy a fruit plate and a large presidente and thats about it....and julio(i think that is his name...i will tell you in janury) takes care of my stuff and treats me well

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
jrzyguy said:
i always refer people to pan pan (?) right next to the costalung (green chairs) toward the end of the beach.......pan pan is the second to last chairs....the LAST guy is a bastard.

I usualy pay 100 pesos for the day.....150 is i sit in costalunga's chairs....i buy a fruit plate and a large presidente and thats about it....and julio(i think that is his name...i will tell you in janury) takes care of my stuff and treats me well

Quick note - while the chairs say Costalunga they are not related to the actual Costalunga. At one time I think they had a beach club idea and the chairs are a memory of that - the ones at the hotel said the same thing.

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
scams

people,people, people. What is going on? The husslers on the beach want you to sit in their area so they can cater to you because they get a commission from whom ever they get your drinks or food from.
There will always be " husslers". Relax! For ex. in Sosua the chair rate is posted along the beach. Besides, if you have ever tried setting out 20-30 lounge chairs and their pads and the umbrellas and draging them into new positions you would charge too.
I've been going to the D.R. approx. 6 years and except for some one like " jerry " who works at then at the Verda Luna and really tries to " work" you over everyone has been fair and very helpful. IMHO

wushu22

Nov 9, 2004
Memories!!!

I went to the beach in Boca Chica during mid-november 04 and I had a run-in with one of these scam artists. They told my me and my two friends (both who have lived there for a while) that the chairs are free and we would only pay for food and drinks. We ate decent, but paid for each food item right away. We asked prices on our drinks ahead of time, but ran a tab.

At the end of the day, they bring us a bill that included the stuff of the people sitting next to us. They included our stuff on their bill. We just laughed it off. Then when we reconciled everything, we saw that they charged us for the chairs and overcharged us for the drinks. The guy who was doing this started barking and threatening to kick our @$$'s, but we just stood up and told him if he wants to make a scene, we have no problem with that. We gave him his fair share, he talked a lot of smack, and we walked away with good memories and a tan.

These people pray on the weak. I will not recommend many of my friend's to come to the DR unless it is at an AI because it takes a special person to handle the culture. The few people who try to scam you will sour the taste of all the wonderful people who are just there to have fun.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Seems that we are much better off here in Sosua. No need to go to AI's up here, Sosua Beach is a paradise. (When it's not raining the whole day, like today)