two questions

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
1. can you freeze plantains?

The only place that sells them around here is 3 hours away. I was at that store today and bought..well.....a lot.

2. is it ok to put cigars in the freezer?

I have a box of cigars and a small pack of H. Upmann mini cigars. The ones in the box will be smoked before the Christmas season ends, but the Upmanns are for me and it will take me a year to smoke them.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Your answers

1) No, you can't freeze them-at least that I have ever heard. However, since you can cook them in different ways until they are absolutely mushy and the skin all black, they shoud last you a month. Then you can combine the very ultra ripe plantains into a "Tutti-Frutti" icecream... So with some imagination you should not waste any of them. But HEY, try and freeze some pieces of the peeled, very green platanos, and report back here in a month or so, okay?

2) Cigars. For proper storage, get three zip-loc? bags; put your cigars in one of them. Seal it. Now get a tiny iece of sponge or paper towel or florest's sponge (their green stuff) and moisten it in water, not totally squshy with water, but well dampened. Put that in another zip-loc?. Put both of them in the third zip-loc?. If there is a cool spot in your house about 70?F you can keep your cigars there for ages. Check,every now and then, to see that the moisture element has not dried out.
You can use a Tupperware? container as the third enclosure..

Homemade humifying element for larger containers (Tupperware? or Igloo? ice chests: Take one or two of those plastic soap cases we used to take to camp. Add a few more holes to the bottom. Get some florest's green sponge, cut it to size with a bread knife, moisten the element well, close the soap dish, and put it upside down in the enclosure so as it never allows water to touch a cigar (with the holes facing up). Keep in a cool place.

All ready?

Good, have a Merry Christmas..

HB :D:D:D

One final thing: You can put cigars in two or three zip-loc? bags and freeze them. But just for three days! Then you have to put them in the fridge for another three days. This will kill off any beetle larvae that may have escaped the factory. It is a good practice for new boxes of cigars. But just once! When I say two or three bag. I mean covered by them all-in order to avoid zreezer dry out. Capische?

MaineGirl

Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Thanks. Kids in college used to keep their, uh....tobacco products....fresh in a similar way.

I have lots of that florist stuff so I will pack up those mini cigars and save them for rainy days.

The other ones will be passed out at a Christmas party this weekend.

Oh and the plantains...I am going to cook the really ripe ones, mash them, and freeze them as expiriment number one, and freeze a whole peeled super green one as experiment number two, and sometime in January I will tell you all about it.

Yan-Yan

Sep 22, 2003
Yes You Can!!

I'm a very lazy cook, so when I finally decide to peel (specially green) plantains, I peel them all and freeze the ones I'm not going to use.

To unfreeze them, just leave them out of the fridge for about 30 mins... Do not put them under water or anything like that.

In the case of Tostones, I fry them the fist time, crush them and put them in the freezer in foil paper.

... No clue about cigars, though.... :nervous:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Hillbilly said:
If there is a cool spot in your house about 70?F you can keep your cigars there for ages. Check,every now and then, to see that the moisture element has not dried out.

HB, apparently you have never been to Maine at this time of year. To have a "cool spot about 70 degrees in her house, Amity will have to turn the furnace on.

Actually, that is pretty much the case all year long in Maine. ;)

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Plantains freeze well, but you have to peel them first, otherwise the peel will be stuck. Better if you use a ziplog bag. Don't boil them first, they will turn a disgusting black color.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
About them plaintains.......

I know you're in the DR, but if you let them get good and ripe (black skin), then slice them diagonally, put them in the skillet and saute in light butter with some sugar and cinnamon, you have almost the duplicate of candied yams. The Cubans cook them this way all the time. I don't like the green ones at all since they have no flavor, so I fix them the Cuban way.
Give it a try......

Texas Bill

MaineGirl

Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Texas, I like cooking them like that.

Ken, I did have to laugh at HB's "cool 70 degrees" suggestion. I keep the thermostat at 64! Don't make me turn it up!

Thanks everyone! Platanos are one of my first loves in the tropical food department. Food has a quality of memories, and plantains never fail to remind me of wonderful kitchens and meals in Venezuela and the DR.