devorce - how do i start

beth

Oct 30, 2004
hi

you guys are gonna love this. basically i got married on the 5th of october this year (sucked in, i know) and now - just 2 months down the line am going for a divorce.

im in the UK at the moment, but am due to go to Puerto Plata on Sunday. can someone point me in the right direction of how i get the ball rolling,how long it takes/costs.

i know ive been a fool but right now i just need to deal with this asap.

thanks

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
beth said:
hi

you guys are gonna love this. basically i got married on the 5th of october this year (sucked in, i know) and now - just 2 months down the line am going for a divorce.

im in the UK at the moment, but am due to go to Puerto Plata on Sunday. can someone point me in the right direction of how i get the ball rolling,how long it takes/costs.

thanks

My girls uncle is a lawyer in Sosua. You fill out a form, pay some low amount and you are divorced.

beth

Oct 30, 2004
do i need him to sign also ?

hopfully that shouldnt be a problem - but just incase

Vegas1973

Nov 17, 2004
beth said:
hi

thanks

Hi Beth!

Sorry to hear that Beth but weren't you married before?....I remember reading a thread written ages ago saying thar you were going diving with your husband in the DR?

beth

Oct 30, 2004
hi vagas

nope this was my first. i only returned to the UK at the end of december, and didnt post whilst i was out there. Perhaps i should have - you guys would have stopped me. but we were engaged for a while.

jimmy - thats handy to know - i take it that would still be valid in the uk

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
beth said:
hi vagas

nope this was my first. i only returned to the UK at the end of december, and didnt post whilst i was out there. Perhaps i should have - you guys would have stopped me. but we were engaged for a while.

jimmy - thats handy to know - i take it that would still be valid in the uk

You got married in DR then Divorced in DR, I believe its valid.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
beth said:
hi

thanks

Hi Beth,
I am very sorry about your experience but it would also be nice if you post your short marriage experience with every detail because by doing so you could help many others that are about to make the same mistake.

Let something positive come out of this by telling.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Mr_DR said:
Hi Beth,
I am very sorry about your experience but it would also be nice if you post your short marriage experience with every detail because by doing so you could help many others that are about to make the same mistake.

Let something positive come out of this by telling.

I completely disagree. There is enough negativity on this board, enough regulars that are ready to pounce on every opportunity to make someone look and feel more foolish than they already do. Keep it private and don't subject yourself to further humiliation. Some people love this kind of gossip because it takes them away from their own problems (I am definitely not directing that comment at you, Mr DR, even though I am quoting your post). You know now what you have to do, I'm sure you have good reasons, and I'm sure you've learned from this experience. Take care, and best of luck!

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
trina said:
I completely disagree. There is enough negativity on this board, enough regulars that are ready to pounce on every opportunity to make someone look and feel more foolish than they already do. Keep it private and don't subject yourself to further humiliation. Some people love this kind of gossip because it takes them away from their own problems (I am definitely not directing that comment at you, Mr DR, even though I am quoting your post). You know now what you have to do, I'm sure you have good reasons, and I'm sure you've learned from this experience. Take care, and best of luck!

Trina,

I definitely see your point and know what you mean. However, I think that by posting her experiences she will be helping out the many people that come to this board and are about to get married.

Unfortunately, sometimes people are bashed when giving their experiences.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
carlos said:
Unfortunately, sometimes people are bashed when giving their experiences.

Don't worry, I will make sure that does not happen.

Feel free to post "beth" so others can learn.
Ideally in the Mars & Venus forum.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Jimmydr said:
My girls uncle is a lawyer in Sosua. You fill out a form, pay some low amount and you are divorced.

Obviously this is a lawyer you should avoid at all costs if that?s how he/she processes divorces here.

Read the link I posted above.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yes ti will be valid

You just need a lawyer, some money and someone that will help you through the process. As long as it is uncontested, it should not be a problem,

I think, from a historical point of view, that it would be interesting to know some of the following--:
1) Did you read Hillbilly's Three Golden Rules for Dating a Dominican?
2) Did you decide to ignore them?
3) Was the reason for this divorce
a) He was violent
b) He did what "all" Dominicans do--> He wandered too much
c) It was a major mistake: We really have nothing in common
d) He wanted me to pay for everything--I think he was using me.

Really sorry that you have to go through this. You might want to talk to Dra Bienvenida Dum? there in the Municipal Palace in Sosua. She is a dear friend of mine and her hubby-Donato- is a very good friend of our family...

Take care, feel free to talk if you want. I do not think anyone will try and insult you. Hearts are tough things to control...

HB :D:D

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Robert said:
Don't worry, I will make sure that does not happen.

Feel free to post "beth" so others can learn.
Ideally in the Mars & Venus forum.

No one will learn anything. Each person thinks they are special and have found that specilal someone. They never listen.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Jimmydr said:
No one will learn anything. Each person thinks they are special and have found that specilal someone. They never listen.

That's a matter of opinion....

tomgallo

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 25, 2004
beth said:
hi

thanks

You do start by spelling it right!! Then you separate. Make sure that she does not have a copy of your CC's or Dr card.

beth

Oct 30, 2004
thanks everyone

i really cant believe i got myself into this mess. Robert the website is really handy, though it looks harder than i thought it would be. no doubt ill have to swallow the costs aswell - if he doesnt try to make this difficult for me.

ill post about my "wonderful" experience, then maybe ill post again after i get my life back !