A-Rod insists he is Dominican.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirit7

Aug 26, 2004
Last night there was a lengthy interview of Alex Rodriguez by Alicia Ortega, on CDN (Cadena de Noticias), the Dominican version of CNN. In the interview, A-Rod spoke of his great surprise at the brouhaha caused by his introduction in the playoffs on TV saying he was from the 'USA'. He says he did not find out about it until about a week later and insisted it was just a big misunderstanding. He claims he was put in a small booth and asked to state his name, position and country of birth and that was what he did.

A-Rod insisted he is as Dominican as Pedro, Manny or Sammy, loves his 'mangu con huevos' (mashed plantains with eggs) for breakfast, and went on to apologize and jokingly saying he hopes he is let back in the country.
It was an interesting interview covering his entire career going from being the youngest player at 18 and the problems he faced, his 40-40 season, his MVP year, etc. He was also asked about trying to slap the ball out of the glove of Bronson in the infamous playoff game and he tried to justify it saying he could have just run over the guy instead and that would have been legal. He claimed ignorance of the fact that slapping the ball out of a glove is illegal.
All in all, he seems to be a man that has his head well put together and realizes how blessed he has been in every way but, he came across as being a bit arrogant but that is understandable in a person that has been treated as a superior being since his youth and most of his life.

Last edited:

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Spirit7 said:
Last night there was a lengthy interview of Alex Rodriguez by Alicia Ortega, on CDN (Cadena de Noticias), the Dominican version of CNN. In the interview, A-Rod spoke of his great surprise at the brouhaha caused by his introduction in the playoffs on TV saying he was from the 'USA'. He says he did not find out about it until about a week later and insisted it was just a big misunderstanding. He claims he was put in a small booth and asked to state his name, position and country of birth and that was what he did.

A-Rod insisted he is as Dominican as Pedro, Manny or Sammy, loves his 'mangu con huevos' (mashed plantains with eggs) for breakfast, and went on to apologize and jokingly saying he hopes he is let back in the country.
It was an interesting interview covering his entire career going from being the youngest player at 18 and the problems he faced, his 40-40 season, his MVP year, etc. He was also asked about trying to slap the ball out of the glove of Bronson in the infamous playoff game and he tried to justify it saying he could have just run over the guy instead and that would have been legal. He claimed ignorance of the fact that slapping the ball out of a glove is illegal.
All in all, he seems to be a man that has his head well put together and realizes how blessed he has been in every way but, he came across as being a bit arrogant but that is understandable in a person that has been treated as a superior being since his youth and most of his life.

Now he just wants to cover the sun with a finger.
Ahora el solamente quiere tapar el sol con un dedo.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It doesn't matter what he says for now on with respect to this issue. People have made up their minds about this.

Besides, "El Ni?o de Oro" did not performed as great as he was expected! The Yankees didn't even won the Playoffs!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I don't get why these people from "the news" keep harping about this. What's the big deal? A-Rod is NOT dominican even if he wants to make it look so to other Dominicans. I've never considered him to be Dominican...He wasn't born there, he didn't grow up there...so can he be Dominican? Does he even have any relatives still living down there?
Are we in such desperate need of famous people that we want to make him BE Dominican even though is clear that he is not.
I actually give him credit for recognizing a bit of his dominican heritage...but do you really believe that he eats Mangu con huevos for breakfast? Give me a break...Maybe back when he lived with his mom.
If he considered himself Dominican I would like to see him wave the Dominican flag like Pedro, Ortiz, Tejada and others do whenever they achieve something...

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
suarezn said:
Are we in such desperate need of famous people that we want to make him BE Dominican even though is clear that he is not.
No, that's not it. It's just that this guy has done something good and since his biological composition is 100% Dominican, many folks here on the island wanted him to attest to that. That he is made of "Dominican parts". Despite the fact that he was born in the US and grew up there, there still were some Domicanisms that was imbedded in him via his mother (either in his way of thinking, acting, maybe the way he looks at life, etc). Such dominicanism is a an influence most Americans don't have, as such many Dominicans feel he should be thankful for that Dominican part of him which made him into what he currently is.

Of course, the Dominican part of him is not 100% responsible for what he has become, he is responsible for that. But, the truth is that if it wasn't for his Dominican mother and Father managing to bring him into this world, then A Rod would have never come into existence. Furthermore, there are somethings Dominicans that he have been exposed to since childhood and those things made the biggest difference into what he has become today as an adult.

For example: maybe he is ashamed of his Dominican roots? That extra feature of his personality (being ashamed) developed because of the Dominican influences that he received during his childhood and his comparisons between Dominicanism and Americanism. The fact that he is ashamed of his Dominican root (or the fact that he is proud of his Dominican roots, which ever is true) is a result of the Dominican influences he received, despite being born and raised in the US. Like I said before, if ARod was truly 100% American, he would not be connected to the DR to the level that he is, but then again, he has invested a few things here in the DR and he does come to this part of the world once a while and everytime he looks at his mother, he is starring right into a genuine Dominican. In fact, everytime he looks at himself, he is seen a Dominican flesh and bones who has an American way of looking at things with a slight Dominican twist.

Then again, it could all just be a result of his fame. After all, when a 2nd generation Dominican who was born and raised in the US is commited of a violent crime, American sources almost always point to his/her Dominican roots when identifying such person. (ie. They say: Carlos Morales (I made up this name for the sake of the example) Carlos Morales, American of Dominican descent, etc etc etc). In the other hand, I have read in many articles and even some American encyclopedia that say Oscar de La Renta, the American designer, etc etc etc.

Oscar de La Renta was born and raised in the DR, since when is he an American in the full sense of the word? The guy even spends much of his time at his Punta Cana mansion! But, since he is doing something extraordinary and good, everybody wants to claim him.

I guess this is just part of human nature.

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
Let him

If he wants to say he is Dominican let him say so .If he is saying it its probably becuase he feels Dominican and thats what matters ,i rather him say he is Dominican becuase is a good baseball player and a good representation for Dominican youth. i did research and he never exactly siad he wasnt Dominican ,they just asked him where he was born and he said the U.S.A , if he would have said anything else he would be lying . This is coming from someone who not too long ago , didnt wanna know anything about A-Rod , but it was more of a mis-information thing .However, i still kinda think he is an A-Hole of a person.

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
Maybe he's saying he is 100% Dominican, as in ancestry. My dad can say he's 100% German (ancestry), but in no way is he a German.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Will this satisfy the folks who doubted him?

It's a shame that he's got to go so far as prove his heritage. Sadly, some folks will even find fault with him for this.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2106934

A-Rod: 'I want to say it out loud: I am Dominican'
By Enrique Rojas

DETROIT -- Alex Rodriguez feels determined to help the Dominican Republic play a key role in baseball's first World Classic, which will take place in March.

That's why the Yankees third baseman has already decided which country he will represent in the most important international event in baseball's history.

"I am going to play for the Dominican Republic, and I am going to make the Dominicans feel proud," Rodriguez said during the All-Star Game.

"I want to say it out loud: I am Dominican," added Rodriguez.

Major League Baseball, the Players Union and the International Baseball Federation have already announced baseball's first World Classic on Monday, with 16 countries slated to participate.

Rodriguez is one of the many baseball players who has dual citizenship and has the choice of representing the country he prefers.

Rodriguez is son of Dominican parents, but was born in New York. Along with other Dominican players born in the U.S., Rodriguez could play for the United States if so chooses.

"I am Dominican, and that's the flag I will represent in the World Classic," said Rodriguez. "We will have a great team, and we will try to win the title so that all the Dominican people will feel proud of their ballplayers and of their own nationality," he said.

The Dominican Republic will share Pool D, which will play the first round in Florida, with Australia, Venezuela and Italy. The two best teams will advance to the quarterfinals.

The Yankees third baseman was one of the five Dominican players to occupy successive places in the batting order for the American League lineup at the All-Star Game. Rodriguez batted second, a place he has been comfortable with during his last two seasons with the Yankees.

David Ortiz, the designated hitter, was the third player in the batting order, leftfielder Manny Ramirez was the cleanup, shortstop and eventual MVP Miguel Tejada was fifth and outfielder Vladimir Guerrero was sixth.

"Our country is a baseball power. With players like Miguel Tejada, David Ortiz, Manny Ramirez and others, we are going to keep the Dominican flag at the top," concluded A-Rod.

M

Mr.Mark

What do people have against Alex Rodr?guez?

ERICKXSON said:
He lived in the DR when he was a kid............... on KM 10

Km 9 to be more precise. That is near my house, about two years ago he was there with some friends and I even got to see him face to face and he signed a paper for me.

Now to the question that entitles my post. According to numeral 3 of article 11 of the Dominican Constitution: Dominicans are [also] "all the persons that were born in a foreign country, of Dominican father or mother, as long as, according with the laws of their country of birth, had not acquired a foreign nationality; or that, in case of having acquired it, manifested, by act before a public official submitted to the Executive Power, after having reached the age of 18 years, their will to opt for Dominican nationality."

In light of this, we see that just by having a single Dominican parent one person that was born outside Dominican territory has the right to have Dominican nationality. I haven't studied the U.S. Constitution, but from my empirical knowledge, I know that one can share the US nationality with others (Just as Einstein had Swiss, German and U.S. nationality and Angelina Jolie has U.S. and Cambodian nationality).

So, Alex is legally Dominican. Culturally? He's Dominican-American -or American-Dominican if he's more identified with the American culture and since he was born there-. Also, why are people saying he's not Dominican now? That was not an issue 2 years ago, before the 2004 NLCS. I think that many people who discriminate Alex do so because he's ethnically not your typical Dominican -kind of white, green eyes-. I say this, because that's what I hear in guaguas, why are people like this? If Alex were black maybe this wouldn't be happening, because many associate their Alex-is-not-Dominican-I-hate-him with being on Justice's side. I don't know if you get what I'm saying: is that they think they're compensating the fact that negritos are discriminated by discriminatin Alex. I'm not saying all do it because of this, it's just an hypotheses applicable to some people.

Alex may be "more" Dominican -if you can say one person is more national than other, which I think you cannot, but you get my figure- than Felix Sanchez. He's lived more time here than Felix and he also speaks Spanish better than Felix. He knows and practises Dominican culture. What's best, Alex is a gentleman and fortunately those things about the Dominican culture that are negative have not taken root in his personality. Alex may not be as patriotic as Miguel Tejada, but that doesn't make him less Dominican. Get over it people: He has dual nationality -not just citizenship, but nationality-.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
What happens if Alex's Mother was Puerto Rican and his Father was Dominican, what would he be?? Or if it was the other way around.

Ricardo900 said:
What happens if Alex's Mother was Puerto Rican and his Father was Dominican, what would he be?? Or if it was the other way around.

Well many cultures recognized the mothers side in terms of "culture". Race is a different thing. I would say that he says he is both, but many would argue against that.

M

Mr.Mark

Ricardo900 said:

According to the Constitution he would have the right to have Dominican nationality. Now, I don't know if he can have triple nationality. Do Puerto Ricans have a Puerto Rican or U.S. nationality?

Mr.Mark said:
According to the Constitution he would have the right to have Dominican nationality. Now, I don't know if he can have triple nationality. Do Puerto Ricans have a Puerto Rican or U.S. nationality?

Nationality of Puerto Ricans is, Puerto Rican
who are Citizens of the United States

A-Rod

Nationality - American
Citizenship - US some are saying DR as well
Heritage - Dominican

I like this definition/quote: "Heritage consists of those things we want to keep that give us a sense of the past and of our cultural identity."

M

Mr.Mark

rellosk said:
On Autopista Duarte outside The Capital?

Noooo. On Prolongaci?n Avenida Independencia. Haven't you heard about "Los Kil?metros" or Casa de Espa?a? Well, it's near that zone.

Prolongaci?n Avenida Independencia is also known as Carretera S?nchez.

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
Who cares...Dominican or American no one in the Dominican Republic or the U.S.A is getting any money off him. He is a good baseball player and thats it, he represents the spanish community. In the U.S he is classified as hispanic.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Grandstanding and front-running, nothing more, nothing less

He's beating his grande because being Dominican in baseball is the "hot" thing right now. They (dominicans) presently rule the league and he wants to be in front, with everyone else. If he was originally from Haiti, his comments would be "I'm a New Yorker!!!".

It's his history - not being Dominican - but being a grandstander.

He feels the need to connect with something, because most want nothing to do with him.

I have met him and know people close to him, they all say he's "very cool, down to earth person" - what else would they say really?. I'm sure that's very true in moments.

But, - and taken in context - most of what he says is shallow, self-serving and self righteous.

He's arguabley the most outstanding player in all of MLB, and most notably to me, a loser on every level in his professional career. Something often referred to as the "Ewing Theory".....wherever he goes, losing follows him; Seattle, Texas, Yankees.

He'd gain more admirers by saying much less, although he gained points with me by divulging the health he's received with therapy. The first glimmer of a leadership quality he's exhibited in his career.

M

Mr.Mark

Probably you will go back to the statement that you have met Alex and people close to him to maintain that you know what you're talking about, but I'd like you to tell us what are you basing the ideas of your first paragraph on.
It could be that he's gotten more enamoured with the DR now and that he's realized that he should represent the DR a fortiori, but I don't think that he's saying he's Dominican just because bein Dominican is the "hot" thing right now in baseball.
You're right when you say that he needs to connect with something, but I don't think most want nothing to do with him. Give the guy a break, as you say in the last paragraph of your post, he's had to deal with emotional wounds -surely those relative to his father abandoning him-. People just want Alex to be perfect, you're asking too much from the guy. He might have had to grow with an identity crisis and he's hopefully in the superation phase of it now.
About the Ewing Theory, what if he the Yankees turn out to win 3 consecutive titles now? That will make your statement fall down. Even if they don't win, that doesn't make Alex a loser.

Someone said on this Forum that the media wants to brainwash ourselves and I agree with that. Someone said that he didn't even marry a Dominican woman, trying to imply by that that he's less Dominican -which I believe is absurd-.

Cleef said:
He's beating his grande because being Dominican in baseball is the "hot" thing right now. They (dominicans) presently rule the league and he wants to be in front, with everyone else. If he was originally from Haiti, his comments would be "I'm a New Yorker!!!".

He feels the need to connect with something, because most want nothing to do with him.

I have met him and know people close to him, they all say he's "very cool, down to earth person" - what else would they say really?. I'm sure that's very true in moments.

But, - and taken in context - most of what he says is shallow, self-serving and self righteous.

He's arguabley the most outstanding player in all of MLB, and most notably to me, a loser on every level in his professional career. Something often referred to as the "Ewing Theory".....wherever he goes, losing follows him; Seattle, Texas, Yankees.

He'd gain more admirers by saying much less, although he gained points with me by divulging the health he's received with therapy. The first glimmer of a leadership quality he's exhibited in his career.

Cleef said:

Is that how you define loser??? Very strange. Not getting a championship ring, disregards his financial gains in the sport, his batting career, his game period. No way is he a loser. A loser is someone who gets drummed out of the game in shame, or drugs drags them down into oblivion. but to achieve the status of one of the premier elite baseball players in the league. I would say he is a winner. Doesn't sound like you are a true lover of the game if that is how you define a loser with those accomplishments.

Nobody calls Sammy Sosa a loser. He doesn't have a ring, and he is suspect when it comes to steroids and corked bats.

Status
Not open for further replies.