Cuban cigars sold at hotel real?

raphster

Nov 11, 2004
When I was at the Iberostar Costa dorada in POP, the hotel had a shopping night, where various trinkets and goods were displayed and sold in the lobby/courtyard. They had a dealer who sold both cuban and dominican cigars, what's the probability the cubans are fake? I would think that the hotel would not allow they're customers to be "ripped off" in a hotel sponsered event, but everyone knows what a couple of $$ under the table will do. Are they real or fake???? :bandit:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"If You Don't Know Your Cigars,Know Your Cigar Store"!!

100% Fakes! You want Cuban Cigars? Go to Cuba!!! I went,sat in the lobby of the hotel watching them being made by an old man,$5.00 each,smoked one,asked him if he could make me 50 more.He said yes.I'll roll them over the weekend,and bring them on Monday wrapped in plastic wrap.They will not be in a box,and I will only charge you $2.oo each.Best $100 I ever smoked!!

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Fake

raphster said:
When I was at the Iberostar Costa dorada in POP, the hotel had a shopping night, where various trinkets and goods were displayed and sold in the lobby/courtyard. They had a dealer who sold both cuban and dominican cigars, what's the probability the cubans are fake? I would think that the hotel would not allow they're customers to be "ripped off" in a hotel sponsered event, but everyone knows what a couple of $$ under the table will do. Are they real or fake???? :bandit:

The hotel only rents them space for the night. The cigars are fake without question as a friend of mine is a vendor at the La Hamaca events and has told me thsy are fakes.
JOHN

Fake?

100%

They also came to our hotel one night, they would not let me slice one open with a jack knife to see what was inside, so as far as I am concerned even the dominican ones were scrap tobacco rolled. Their is 10% was minimum in the rolling of cigars, they sweep it up and make cheapies with a decent looking wrapper to hook tourists.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yeah, and now I know why he hasn't called me lately!!

To the Original poster:

Chances are they were fakes. If you want, you can email me with the details.
Size, brand and the price you paid. I can probably tell from that if they were or not.

If you want honest Cuban cigars, there are a few places to get them.

Dominican cigars are excellent and you need to try more blends!!

HB :D:D

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Whoa

Cuban cigars are never wrapped in "Plastic" . Sometime some of the brands are wrapped ins a waxed paper like paper, but I have never seen real cubans wrapped in plastic.....

the new seals have UV details and microprinting to foil photocopiers. They have slightly different scenery int he tobacco fields, too.

HB

raphster

Nov 11, 2004
Hillbilly said:
Cuban cigars are never wrapped in "Plastic" . Sometime some of the brands are wrapped ins a waxed paper like paper, but I have never seen real cubans wrapped in plastic.....

the new seals have UV details and microprinting to foil photocopiers. They have slightly different scenery int he tobacco fields, too.

HB

Yup, I got taken. That 'S' on my chest is for SUCKER!
Although the box is real, I checked the codes and seals which are legit.
I guess they reused a real box and put in fakes.
How I was able to tell is by the cap on the end of the cigar.
I compared the fakes vs "real" cubans that I have and the real
ones all have a distinctive cap on them. The fake ones I got do not.
I guess in my drunken state and the desire to buy some cubans,
I failed to do the simplest check. Live and learn the hard way.
Oh well, some non cigar smoker is going to get a box of "Cubminican" cigars for christmas.