Does anybody know about car taxes...

Bella Dama

Dec 11, 2004
Before I become a full fledged DR disaster,,,,, could anyone tell me how much taxes/duty it is on a 2001 Ford Windstar from the States??? Or how you figure out ???? My container is leaving Tuesday, jan. 4, 2005, and I don't know if it's a mistake to buy this vehicle and put on with my household goods. I will own outright and have title signed over to me, but not registered in my name yet. Any advise is desparately sought!!!!! Thanks!!!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
These kinds of vehicles are not good to own in The DR. If you can sell it here, do so and use that money to buy one down there. I've posted quite a bit about this before. Buy only Toyota or Honda while down there and you'll have a much easier time finding parts and such. Buy a vehicle with good ground clearance as there are many "speed bumps" and potholes.

In terms of taxes, they have a table that they use to calculate them, but I don't know what they would be. I will tell you that they are quite a bit (i.e. I just shipped a 2001 Honda Accord and taxes will be close to 200,000 pesos, which is about 6700 USD at current exchange rate).

The only way I would ship this vehicle is if you can get a tax exception (I believe you can bring a vehicle, exempt of taxes, if you're Dominican, have lived outside the country for at least a year, owned the vehicle for at least 6 months, or something to that effect. Not sure about the specific requirements). It looks like you have very little time to make a decision. Like I said before, if it was me I would sell it and use the money to purchase down there.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Actually, you can get a partial tax exemption if you are a returning Dominican or if you are a resident in the DR, but the car has to be owned at least a year before shipping and you must be sure to have all your registration papers in order and official. And even then, the tax to be paid is considerable (US$1,000's), and the bureaucracy you must go through to get the tax break and get the vehicle out of customs it is a real pain in the rear. Also, Suarezn is very correct, a used Ford vehicle is a bad idea for the DR market in terms of parts and repairs. All in all, I say it would be a very bad move on your part.

Regards,
Keith

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Bella Dama said:
I appreciate your educating this Gringo! Thanks!
?A sus ordenes!

This is what DR1 is supposed to be all about. I had to learn all that I told you the hard way, because when I went through it, there was no DR1 board yet. Better you learn from those of us that already had deal with it than endure it yourself...

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Bella Dama said:
Before I become a full fledged DR disaster,,,,, could anyone tell me how much taxes/duty it is on a 2001 Ford Windstar from the States??? Or how you figure out ???? My container is leaving Tuesday, jan. 4, 2005, and I don't know if it's a mistake to buy this vehicle and put on with my household goods. I will own outright and have title signed over to me, but not registered in my name yet. Any advise is desparately sought!!!!! Thanks!!!

Hi I was interested to know how much did you pay for the container. I was thinking about sending a container too. Please let me know. Thanks