DR Internet Domains?

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
OK, silly question from a supposed tech-geek. here goes:

why doesn't the DR use their country code for a standard web address?
e.g. www.hotels.do

why do they use a sub-domain?
e.g. www.hotels.com.do

seems strange, maybe there is a good reason?

Gregg

wight-boy

Nov 6, 2003
This is no different to for example the uk, there is no .uk domain.
always. co.uk for companies, org.uk for organisations, gov.uk for governments
ac.uk for educational facilities.

I like this situation as it gives a little insight into the nature of the site first.

This is not a however as stated a second level domain (this is the DR1 bit of the DR1.com DNS), you have your teminology confused. The .com .org bit is a top level domain and the .uk .jp .do is a ccTLD (contry code top level domain.) ccTLDs operate with gTLD according to local policies that are adapted to best meet the economic, cultural, linguistic, and legal circumstances of the country or territory involved. Although it is now possible to register a .us ccTLD it is not often used as most US individuals and companies prefer to have a generic top level domain (gTLD) such as .com .org .net. The US authorities have no problem with using .us on its own, because they do not, maybe as you, see the need for conjoining TLD's
The www. piece is the third level domain.
Hope this provides a little insight.
Jon

Last edited:

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
Wtf????

wight-boy said:
This is no different to for example the uk, there is no .uk domain.
always. co.uk for companies, org.uk for organisations, gov.uk for governments
ac.uk for educational facilities.

I like this situation as it gives a little insight into the nature of the site first.

This is not a however as stated a second level domain (this is the DR1 bit of the DR1.com DNS), you have your teminology confused. The .com .org bit is a top level domain and the .uk .jp .do is a ccTLD (contry code top level domain.) ccTLDs operate with gTLD according to local policies that are adapted to best meet the economic, cultural, linguistic, and legal circumstances of the country or territory involved. Although it is now possible to register a .us ccTLD it is not often used as most US individuals and companies prefer to have a generic top level domain (gTLD) such as .com .org .net. The US authorities have no problem with using .us on its own, because they do not, maybe as you, see the need for conjoining TLD's
The www. piece is the third level domain.
Hope this provides a little insight.
Jon

can you explain that again Jonny in words of 1 syllable please!!!

nah second thoughts I don't need to know

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Gregg said:
thanks but still a little confused. :cry:

the government uses: www.bancentral.gov.do or www.secffaa.mil.do
commercial uses: www.orange.com.do or www.codotel.net.do

www.example.do is not available. a visit to http://www.nic.do confirms this.

does anyone know why second level domains are not allowed?

Gregg
It allows for growth. There is only so many domains you can fit into a .do, but if you combine it you can have many more. For example, with your proposed setting you can only have www.example.do, but as it is now it allows for www.example.gov.do, www.example.com.do, www.example.org.do, etc. thus multiplying the choices and space for growth. In Denmark where they only use .dk they have reserved the .com.dk, .org.dk, .gov.dk, etc. for future use once they run out of good domain names (meaning you can't register www.example.com.dk), for once we are ahead of them :)

Another example: Codetel has www.codetel.net.do (as an ISP) and www.codetel.com.do (as a company).

regina-Duo

Jan 7, 2005
wtf? If I may

gjsuk said:
can you explain that again Jonny in words of 1 syllable please!!!

nah second thoughts I don't need to know

===
the short answer is "yes", they use DO as the top level domain.

The longer answer has been given, but to state it differently:
just remember that when the net started (didn't Al Gore invent it? ha ha) it was a military tool and there was little consideration for how widespread it would become and therefore the earliest users assumed that what was, would always be and this formed the north american thinking about domain names.

50 years ago your grandparents probably had a 4 or 5 digit phone number and that was all they needed. Over time that has expaned to seven, then seven plus an area code and in major centres more than one distinct area code. Fortunately the phone growth was much slower and the hardware developed as fast as the need.

Hope this helps.. knowledge for knowledge's sake.

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
thanks everyone

some good explanations and i understand now the why of it.

it is a shame though as the .do has so many possibilities. could have been a great money earner for the DR. something like .tv. might have attracted some more internet businesses....

BTW i think there are around 45,500,000 .com names registered. and yes, they may run out of combinations hence the new .biz etc... being available. however, the Americans i think also new of the great commercial value in owning the .com names. i have a fiend who sells a few names every couple of years...just made $10K off the last one.

why'll i am not a personal friend of Al Gore, i was on the internet aournd 1982 through the University of British Columbia. it was is now really the CANARIE net. used mostly for talking to others and trying to meet girls ( i was in grade 10). i guess things don't really change much. :cross-eye