LTI - Never Again

aggiemom

Sep 27, 2003
First off let me say that we are not new to travel in the Dominican Republic. We have been coming here for the last 25 years and have visited at least 19 resorts. I do not have high expectations and want North American service, accomodations or food. What I do want is a decent bed, food that does not make me sick and surroundings that live up to the description in the brochure.

We booked with Air Transat holidays in October. Also booked and paid for Club class. Check in was wonderful, thats where the club class happiness ended. The seats were uncomfortable and the food was the pits. Our luggage which was supposed to come off the plane priority came off with everyone elses. Not that I want to be a snob or anything it is just when you pay $600.00 more for a service you should receive it. It will be interesting to see what happens on our return flight.

The resort itself sucks, the food sucks, everyone has been sick and no one seems to care. I wish I had the the reports on this site before I booked. I am now warning everyone who comes to this place come prepared with heavy duty medicine not Immodium, that is not strong enough, go and get a script for Lomotil a lot of it..
Don't worry about the mosquitos, the wind is so strong here they can't fly around it is at a steady 20- 25 km an hr with gusts stronger. And the rain let me tell you that my husband and I timed it , there was a rain shower every 30 min or so ALL DAY LONG. I realize that the wind and the rain is not the resorts fault. but that adds to the lack of enthusiam I have for this holiday. The bed is like lying on a slab of concrete. the pillows are a mini slab.

Both my husband and I got sick the second day here and it is now day 7 of a 14 day holiday. I think I am starting to feel human again. The first two nights I felt as if I was giving birth to an elephant . I have never had such abdominal pain, after the third day of eating dry toast and pasta i decided to try my luck with real food and that is when the rest of the wonderful montazuma visited me and remains to this day. There are many many many people here that are very sick and I can only wonder as to the reason. This has never ever happened to us before in our 25 years of travel to our beloved DR.

The food:

all i can say it is a minus 1 on the 1 - 10 scale The dining room is so dark I think that they do not want you to see the same thing day after day, after day, after day

The surrounding; again a 1 on the 1 -10 scale. I realize that a hurricane came thru here last year but the only evidence of it was a few of the tops being off the coconut palms. If you want wonderful surroundings go to the Bavaro princess, Catalonia, Carabella Bavaro or Venta Club. I am stunned at the resort being called stunning. What is that all about..
We went to the Princess yesterday and it is as beautiful as ever and it is right next door to us. So hurricane be damned.

The reception staff have generally been great, the barmen so-so, the wait staff in both restaurants are great.

After this experience I think that I am too old for this crap any more ( pardon the pun) and I will go to Florida from now on. You can be deceived by glossy photos in the brochure, and on the internet.

Please ,please heed my advice about the medication required if you journey to this resort, also please be sure to take out, out of country health insurance and bring along a credit card because the hospitals and or doctors will not accept anything but cash or credit card.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to email me at beckytonner@yahoo.com

P.S. I am still down here and will return Jan 22 (hopefully)
PPS- For anyone who may think the I overindulge in either food, drink, or sun, I learned that I can't do that back in the late 80's this resort is by far the worst that I have ever been to and this is just a warning from a seasoned traveller

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
Where aew tou staying. Your experience is most unusual. I know many people who have gone to A1s in DR and have excellent reviews. I think you just have to be careful before you book a vacation. I would not let this one experience color your view of the island. There are alot of very nice resorts. As for myself I loved Miami and POP and when we decided to purchase we purchased in POP.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
That was bad!

aggiemom, I am sorry that you are having a horrible vacation. What you just wrote about that place is like living a nightmare.

1- I do have a few questions for you: I know that you paid alot of money to stay in that place but I truly believe that my health is worth much more so why not go to another place since you still have 7 days before the end of your vacation and things can get worse?.

2- Since you have visited the DR about 25 times, I gather that you kept on going there because you like it, then why would you not go again?. Anybody can have a bad experience. On my first trip to Cancun, on the same day, I got the worse case of the "Indians" curse in history ( and I truly mean in history since I was not able to leave the room for a few days, if I wanted to leave the room, I had to put a pamper on and sorry but no pamper for me ). The resort was ok but the food was the worse that I have ever had. I did not say that I was not going to Mexico again, I said that I would not go back to the same resort. Thank God that I kept an open mind because more than 15 trips later, I LOVE CANCUN. I was not going to blame ALL RESORTS just because I had a bad experience with JUST ONE.

I can write a book (1,000 pages) of all the bad experiences that I have had during all my vacations but one have to keep an open mind and realize that it's human to have a bad experience every now and then. It's called LIFE and Life is not perfect.

Last edited:

neepawaguy

Jan 9, 2005
I'm new here and I wish I hadn't found this site sometimes. The "knowing too much" thing is scary sometimes.
I have been to RD twice, once at an AI and the last time at a friends timeshare in Cabarete. I picked something up at the AI and spent 3 days in hospital hooked up to an IV because of dehydration from the runs when I returned home. In Cabarete we went to restaurants every night and the food was great and no side effects. I found one of the best meals was from a street vendor/hot-dog type stand.
I'm off to Cabarete in a couple of weeks and I hope the weather improves.

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Confused

(LTI - Never Again)

Aggiemom what is LTI? Or, where is LTI? I read your entire message and I cannot figure out what hotel you are talking about and worse yet, what part of the country you are in. Please clarify.

Thanks, Juniper

elbobocan

Jul 1, 2004
Sorry to hear about the resort. We have always gone to Puerto Plata and been very well pleased. Actually, until this year we have always gone to the Gran Vetana and every year has been like going home. In fact, Junior, the chief porter, has greeted my wife with a kiss on the cheek and a cheery, "Welcome home". The food has always been great and if not was readily replaced. And the rooms left nothing to be desired.

However, I am concerned over your comment about Club Class on Air Transat. For our first 6 trips we always flew that way. Our first trip only cost $240 extra. I metioned that we are not going to Gran Ventana this year and that is because it is not served by Air Transat and we are going to a resort that they do service. We leave on the 22nd of Feb. and if you have time I would like to hear your comment on your trip home via Air Transat.

Regards Bob Morris morrisrl@telus.net