Do Postcards sent from Abroad make it through the DR Mail system?

JC171

Oct 20, 2002
I Have heard of how horrific the mail system in DR is..my question is Do Postcards sent from Abroad make it through the DR Mail system?especially since they can see its not an evelope with something of value in it?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
My experience in Puerto Plata is that nothing much has made it through the mail system since last August, envelopes, postcards, whatever. Up until then, for the preceding 11 years I used to get mail sent from uk in 10-21 days. My bank statements sent monthly from uk have not arrived since July. Out of 50 Christmas cards which I know were sent from uk, I received 9. I have received postcards from US. S. Africa, Italy etc but not many since last August. Have now moved over to Business Mail, so this isn't a problem but the Puerto Plata post office has been in iffy condition for about 5 months. I'm not even sure it is Puerto Plata's problem, since I have a friend who works there & all the sacks are regularly tipped on to floor when I visit & staff search like crazy. I think the stuff is not making it out of Santo Domingo, since that is where it goes first.
So sorry, JC171, I am not optimistic on this one.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It isn't theft, just the sad state of the postal service. When the present president was president previously, the gave attention to the postal service and it became very efficient. Courier services like EPS were afraid of closing their doors for lack of customers. But the previous administration ignored the postal service, failed to pay employees on time, etc., etc. The result it is that is very unreliable. You card might go through rapidly, or they may not get their at all.

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
Don't bet the farm on it.

I get mail sent to me every month from my employer in Denmark, salary caps-newsletters-jobinfo and the likes. Since I know what's being sent I can figure out what doesn't reach me. 20%-30% of the stuff I was supposed to receive doesn't get here and the stuff I do get is 3 weeks or more underway.

I don't think the postal workers seek out the fluffy envelopes to give themselves a 5-finger raise. I miss my salary cap from December which is sent in a boring flat envelope while the christmas present reached me: A big fluffy envelope with two nice wrist watches of Danish design.

Be happy if you get any mail or the mail you send here, reaches its intended receiver.

Bok

Bonita Morena

Sep 24, 2004
Since the mail delivery system is a little messed up, what is the best way to send packages to people in the DR. I wanted to send something to a close friend but I'm afraid that they won't recieve it. What would the best way to do this?

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
Any courier service

I've had no trouble make things reach their destination in the DR when I've used the well known courier service: UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc.
Better pay the little extra to make sure the package gets there.

If you're sending stuff inter-DR; Metro tours and Caribe tours will get it done for you. Had no trouble with this service either.

Good luck
Bok