K-1 Fiance Visa

Figgy1020

Sep 30, 2004
Does anyone know how long it takes for the DR consulate to schedule an interview once they've received an approved Petition? I hear that it shouldn't take more than 3 months but I can't seem to confirm and/or find that in writing anywhere...

Thanks...

jeanmarie

Mar 24, 2004
On average between 3-5 months from receipt of an approved K-1 Petition to an Interview.

1) Once they receive the Petition they will send you an instruction packet (3-4 weeks if you're lucky... 2-3 months if there's a mail problem)

2) You prepare documentation requested, complete a medical exam, pay the interview etc. (Less than 2 weeks if you're motivated.)

3) You call to advise that you're ready to be scheduled for an interview. (Interview date approximately 2-3 months from when you call.)

BUT, every case is different and some take longer.

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
Well..... things are better now...

Lately the wait is MUCH less thank God. But be prepared, they are going to really grill you on the relationship. Bring plenty of evidence of the realtionship with you to the interview, phone bills, e-mails, pictures of bothe of you TOGETHER in the DR.......and be prepared for questions like "when and where was the last place you had sex". Make sure your novia knows where you work and what you do and what your address is in the US. Oh yeah, check out www.visajourney.com before you go to the interview. Good luck!

-Tim

Figgy1020

Sep 30, 2004
Tim,
Thank you...
your information is very helpful...
I know about bringing proof of our relationship but
I have a question about the phone bill...I use calling cards
99% of the time...my cell phone bill just shows the access #'s that
I dial...u think that's gonna be a problem?

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
Bring the bill with the access numbers and also if your card is like mine, you can go online and get all the details and print them. Every call is detailed for me. Also the best rates if your calling from the states BTW. www.tel3.com. and no, I don't have anyting to do with the company, just never can find anything cheaper. 7.9 cents a minute anytime, even to cell phones. quality is good most of the time.

-Tim

Figgy1020

Sep 30, 2004
Thanks...I'm using Speedypin.com...excellent quality all the time and its 8.6 per minute to cell ... I did look into tel3 though...haven't had a chance to sign up ...my cell phone bill is over thirty pages each month...what an inconvenience...
should I have the bills from way back when we first started talking??
we have hundreds of pictures...should we bring them all?
does the fact that I visit my fiance every 6-8 weeks improve our changes of his visa getting granted?

Are you waiting on your interview date also? or did it happen already?
do u live in the states? I'm in Jersey City, NJ.

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
Just be extra careful.

The K-1 SEEMS like it is a wonderful, fast way to get your novia/novio to the US. In most countries that is the case. But in the DR it is EXTREMELY difficult to prove a bonda fide relationship especially if:

1. There is a huge age difference.

2. Your courtship has been very short.

3. You wanna take a very poor Dominican(a) to the US to get married.

If you want to improve the odds, the best way is to get married in the DR and go for the K-3 or CR-1 visa, and even then, it really shouldn't be a casual relationship. They WILL find out if your relationship is less than genuine. Also, the process is much longer. many people just don'y have any idea of what they are facing for any of these visas. One more thing I almost forgot. In order to sponsor your loved one, you will need to make at least 125% of the poverty wage in the US. many people find out (mostly students) that they don't have the income needed to qualify to bring their loved one into the US.

I'm certainly am NOT trying to dissuade anyone from bringing their loved one to the US. If I had my way it would be alot easier. I just see so many people say things like "Oh, you just go to the embassy and they give you a K-1" when the road is long and hard and you will be spending LOTS of time away from your loved one and a fair amount of money. It has been 6 months for us so far and we have at least 2 or maybe 3 more to go........and we are MARRIED. That being said, my offer to help still stands. I am not an immigration lawyer, but I am totally immersed in this process and I can steer you away from the pitfalls that most people will fall into. You can PM me or write in the forum if you want. I don't get to post every day, and right now I am moving so be patient :eek: I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Hope this helps someone avoid a mistake or two.

-Tim

Wedding pics at http://www.twincactus.com

cbarrin

Feb 1, 2005
Wanting to marry

twincactus said:
The K-1 SEEMS like it is a wonderful, fast way to get your novia/novio to the US. In most countries that is the case. But in the DR it is EXTREMELY difficult to prove a bonda fide relationship especially if:

1. There is a huge age difference.

2. Your courtship has been very short.

3. You wanna take a very poor Dominican(a) to the US to get married.

If you want to improve the odds, the best way is to get married in the DR and go for the K-3 or CR-1 visa, and even then, it really shouldn't be a casual relationship. They WILL find out if your relationship is less than genuine. Also, the process is much longer. many people just don'y have any idea of what they are facing for any of these visas. One more thing I almost forgot. In order to sponsor your loved one, you will need to make at least 125% of the poverty wage in the US. many people find out (mostly students) that they don't have the income needed to qualify to bring their loved one into the US.

I'm certainly am NOT trying to dissuade anyone from bringing their loved one to the US. If I had my way it would be alot easier. I just see so many people say things like "Oh, you just go to the embassy and they give you a K-1" when the road is long and hard and you will be spending LOTS of time away from your loved one and a fair amount of money. It has been 6 months for us so far and we have at least 2 or maybe 3 more to go........and we are MARRIED. That being said, my offer to help still stands. I am not an immigration lawyer, but I am totally immersed in this process and I can steer you away from the pitfalls that most people will fall into. You can PM me or write in the forum if you want. I don't get to post every day, and right now I am moving so be patient :eek: I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Hope this helps someone avoid a mistake or two.

-Tim

Wedding pics at http://www.twincactus.com

I was reading what you wrote and started to get discourage...i fell in love with a dominican and we?ve been dating for a little over a year now...alot of odds are against us because one he is very poor and two i?m a recent graduate from school so currently i don?t have an income...we?re not married yet, but want to later this year...any advise so we can overcome hurdles??? i?ve gone online about the visa requirments...but i didn?t see anything for the Dominican Republic requirements...do you know where i can find it...thank you

cbarrin

cbarrin

Feb 1, 2005
also wanting to marry

I guess everyone is wanting to marry a dominican...and i?m part of that group...i was needing advise on what direction i need to go and the reality of my situaion...i saw the requirments for the visas...but didn?t i didn?t see any requirments by the Dominican government...can anyone point me in a direction...

jskr1us

Apr 29, 2003
K1 Easier if you are sure

I speak from experience, I've gone through the process. Once you get an a pproved K1 petition the interview takes place in approximately 60 days. Note you will probably be turned down the first time and need to request a second interview if you can get an expadited hearing it will take place within 90 days. If everything checks out the visa will be granted. What do you need to prove? 1. A long term relationship (in my case 3+ years) 2. You will need pictures of both of you together at different times. 3. I proved that I supported her for a period of time with WU reciepts. 4. Correspondence is important (written). 5. Supporting Affants of the relationship will help. I would suggest (as I did) giving them as much proof as you can get of the relationship no matter how small it seams to you. I have also (and am continuing to go through) the I-130 process (for our kids and it is taking much longer and is more complicated (they want more proof and several agencies are now involved making the process much more complicated and longer). But if you decide to do this you need to understand that your partners adjustment to this country will not be easy (you can take a Dominican out of the Republic but you can not take the Republic out of a Dominican). Wishing you the best and happiness always.

cbarrin

Feb 1, 2005
Poorer dominican

Do you think the process of a K1 visa will be ?harder? if the Dominican I?m going to marry is poor...

Last edited:

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
No, it's you the needs the money....

cbarrin said:
Do you think the process of a K1 visa will be ?harder? if the Dominican I?m going to marry is poor...

The financial state of your Dominican(a) does not make a whole lot of difference, but YOU will nedd to show income of 125% of the US poverty level or show 5 times that in assets, or get a co-sponsor (like a relative or parent) who makes enough money to garuntee that your Dominican will not become a ward of the state.

That being said, i'll make another comment <sigh> and you can take my advice or leave it, but I think what jskr1us said is leading you down the wrong path. I don't want to start a flame war here but many people don't realize the DR is a third world country and MANY people are trying to get out by any means possible. The US government isn't stupid, they know people will commit marriage fraud, so they scrutinize visa applications very thoroughly. the K-1 is fast, but very hard to be sure you will get it. Do you really wanty to go through a 6 month process and then have some consular officer just say NO to you because they had a bad day? If you don't think this happens, go to www.visajourney.com and read about it.

A better plan woul be to get married in the DR abd then apply for the CR-1 visa which is given to permanent residents. Immigration has changed RADICALLY in the last 6 or 8 months and the I-130 (CR-1) process is alot faster than before. The advantage is that you have a much better chance of getting approved (nothing is 100%) and when your spouse comes here under the CR-1 they will have a green card and can work right away, and you can even get them a Social Security number right away. You have a long enough relationship, I wouldn't worry too much. The K-1 could be done, but you will have to be very careful and have lots of evidence that your relationship is valid. There is much less to prove if you are already married. PM me if you need some help. BTW, I'm not a lawyer.

-Tim

glennys

Apr 5, 2005
hello just join

twincactus said:
Lately the wait is MUCH less thank God. But be prepared, they are going to really grill you on the relationship. Bring plenty of evidence of the realtionship with you to the interview, phone bills, e-mails, pictures of bothe of you TOGETHER in the DR.......and be prepared for questions like "when and where was the last place you had sex". Make sure your novia knows where you work and what you do and what your address is in the US. Oh yeah, check out www.visajourney.com before you go to the interview. Good luck!

-Tim
i would like to know more about the interview im wainting on mine and im very nervuos

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
twincactus said:
... Also the best rates if your calling from the states BTW. www.tel3.com. and no, I don't have anyting to do with the company, just never can find anything cheaper. 7.9 cents a minute anytime, even to cell phones. quality is good most of the time.
That's a great link. Thanks.