April Farm Tours

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
My dad and I are coming for a week in April. We're there for business. He is a teacher and a retired organic farmer. He was very involved with the Cooperative Extension in his day....a smart guy all around.

We will be based in POP, and we have a car, and he wants to see farms, just for fun.

SJH has agreed to a dairy farm tour. What about tobacco? What other types of farms can we see?

I am sending a PM to D.D. and welcome any other suggestions.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
D.D. is the man

Tobacco will have finished the harvest by then.

I could show you the processing, but if you are not into cigars, it might be a little overkill.

Rice farming? I can get you going in the right direction? Macadamia, Avocados?

Will be a lot of travelling...Let me know.

HB :D:D

MaineGirl

Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Hillbilly, a cigar tour sounds nice. A finished agricultural product is always nice to see.

Avocados, also good. Macadamia, why not? :) whatever is green and grows is interesting to us.

I am intrigued by Costanza, just because I want to feel "cold" in a tropical location.

Any grapes?

What else is being grown? Last time I was there in April there were a lot of cane fileds being burned. Rather exotic against the Atlantic backdrop.

Also, what is your idea of travel time? 4 hours is about the most I'd want to drive in any direction.

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
D.D. is your answer. Debebe and Jetta are the most lovely people with one of the cleanest and nicest businesses on the entire Island and whats more their Bananas are ORGANIC. Heck we should plan a road trip while you are there since it has been a while since a group of us have been there.

Shads place is also a great place and a great experience. A lovely family to boot so make sure you get em all and not just shad!

Scott

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
If you like plants

I'd be happy to take you as my guest to our plantation. It is not a working plantation but is beautiful anyway! We are about 25 minutes from Playa Dorada. I am sure both you and your dad would enhance our knowledge at the plantation as well.

Let me know by PM when you are here and I will make the arrangements.

MaineGirl

Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Escott, a road trip sounds good.

Planner, I will send you a PM with our trip details.

My mother keeps a hobby herd of goats and now my dad is asking if there are any operations with Boer goats. They are a meat goat, very hefty. Also she has Nubians and Oberhaslis, which she raises for the milk and to make cheese and soap. Anyone doing anything like that?

Any sort of small-scale, artisan operation is just as interesting to us as large scale ops.

My dad and I are going to be there to work on a business model for a bilingual school. Because we are who we are, one of the points we will be proposing is a business/ag type course that will allow an integrated learning experience. As teachers in New England and farmers by nature we "get" the ag cycle here and there are several successful examples of school projects that teach marketing, business, agriculture, genetics, economics, biology, etc etc etc. So our motivation in seeing these farms is to begin our own education of the tropical agricultural environment and how it can be used to teach students.

I'm "wicked psyched" to go and learn all I can, and I am bringing my rubber boots.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Well darling you need to come to the Finca de Escott then.

I have 2 goats, one boy and one gal. Boy is named billy and gal is named goat.

I have mucho stuff growing on 5500 meters. Yucca, batata, corn, peppers of all sorts, bananas, plantanos, avocado, orange, limon, grapefruit, noni, peas, red beans, white beans, melon, squash, summer squash, watermelon, 5 types of tomatos, cucumbers, basil, coconuts (two types) mango (many types), papaya, lettuce, radish and mucho ornamental stuff. I have a full time person there who plants and cultivates every day. Probably more but off the top of my head I can't remember.

I get a lot of enjoyment out of this. Will start my farmhouse when the dollar or prices come back in line.

Escott

PS> get in touch with Jamie who is Dolores's hubby. He has a lot of interest in this and teaching methods for producing more and better with worms and composting.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Julia Alverez and her husband Bill have an organic coffee farm just outside Jarabacoa and Bill told me that they welcome visiters. They live most of the year in Vermont, i think, but Bill in a trained Agri-something or another. Certainly their place sounds like something your Dad would enjoy. They have a website. http://www.cafealtagracia.com/

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
bob saunders said:
Julia Alverez and her husband Bill have an organic coffee farm just outside Jarabacoa and Bill told me that they welcome visiters. They live most of the year in Vermont, i think, but Bill in a trained Agri-something or another. Certainly their place sounds like something your Dad would enjoy. They have a website. http://www.cafealtagracia.com/

Julia Alvarez the author? I wouldn't mind going to the farm just to meet her.

Larry

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
An important question:

Which week?

Grapes are out of the question. They are on the other side of the island.
Macadamia are out near the border, so a two day trip with one day to see D.D. and Jetta and the next to see the macadamia.

ISA has a small herd of goats. Black Belly. Might be interested in Boar variety.
Tabacco/cigars are no sweat.

ISA is the Instituto Superior de Agricultura, the DR's answer to Texas A & M. It was founded with that in mind. Top of the line faculty, many outstanding graduates. Of course, it is here in Santiago....:D:D

HB :D

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
They have them here

A good friend of mine is buying a certified he-goat for RD$15000 tomorrow. He is raising goats.

FYI Goat meat is getting way up in price and nowadays you can't really be sure if it is sheep or goat...
Might be something for Shadly to look into...

I learned that you have to separate the males from the females really early since copulation appears to stunt the female's growth!! At least according to one tale I heard today.. Gee, I wonder about hair growing on your palms?????

HB :D:D

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I saw for the first time last week a tobacco harvest and I was quite spellbound. As I was driving along a little country road, my eye caught this row of 'bobbing heads' just slightly above the tobacco leafs, off in the distance. Strangest site I ever saw. On getting closer I saw a row of fellows sitting on, and peddling what looked like stationary bicycles. On getting even closer, I saw that the front wheels were attached to a fairly narrow conveyor belt about hip high. The conveyor belt disappeared into the fields and is the leaf transportation belt. In the fields, pickers were picking mature leaves and laying them on this conveyor belt. As the leaves on the belt reached the fellow madly peddling his stationary bike, 'picker uppers' neatly took them off, smoothed them out a little and carefully packed into packing boxes for transportation to drying sheds.

As the 'peddlers' got tired, the 'picker uppers' would relieve them on the stationary bikes. What really impressed me, was the combination of modern technology, i.e., the conveyors and the bikes, and manual labor, and the ease with which these two processes came together. It is one of the neatest harvesting processes I've seen. Surely beats harvesting rice with harvesters sloshing about in the muddy fields.