Sosua, what a nice place

bertgilbert

Feb 1, 2005
spaces.msn.com
This is a little outdated since we went last year, but I just joined and here is my experience of Sosua. Friends of ours recomended this hotel, Sosua by the sea, said it was small and friendly, it was. A few problems when we checked in, they gave us a regular room, we paid for a suite, no problem, it was corrected instantly with a smile.

The room was fantastic, living room, bathroom and a separate bedroom, the hot water was a problem for the first day but was fixed the next day. Not that we spent a lot of time in it. The beach was right there, just a few step from the pool bar, the sand was so nice, never seen such a clean beach, not even a small rock in the sand, pure pure sand only.

Location, talk about a great location, just a 10 to 15 minutes to the airport, none of the 3 hours bus ride to your resort. The town of Sosua was also an added bonus, just steps away from the hotel, I really mean steps, 30 feet across the street, there was this wonderfull restaurant/bar for those who like a little change of pace and meet people from other resort in the area. It was open 24 hours a day, and I actually went there one morning at 6 am for a beer. They have a menu that you have to see to beleive, (the restaurant across the street), alligator, kangorou, deer, wild boar and other unsual stuff, they also have normal stuff like burger and pizza.

You can walk in town with no problem, some vendor are a little annoying but that's how they make a living. We walk to the bank, use the ATM machine, very usefull, walk by a school, and found this grocerie store that actually had prices on everything, no dealing needed, that is where the locals also shop, great selection of everything from wine, hard liquor, food, cigars, regular groceries, fruits and a lot more, the prices were unbeleiveable we bought a bottle of local rum for a buck fifty, Dominican cigarette for around 25 cent a pack and they taste a lot better than american, dont bother bringing some from home or buy some at the airport, the same smoke at the Luperon airport ( duty free) were 3 dollars a pack.

We went whale watching and did the waterfalls, don't and I repeat don't buy any escursions from anybody but Mel's tour, also across the street, he is half price of any tours from your trip rep. We did not know that at fisrt but we got really screwed from the sunwing rep, paid 100.00 us each for the whale watching and there was no refund, even after they cancelled the scheduled day and moved us to another day, and forced us to either go on a day that we did not want to go or lose our money. That day that they moved us to, we already made plans with Mel to go on a day trip, had to go see Mel to re-schedule the waterfall trip, no problem, by the way, the whale trip with Mel was 50.00, not a hundred. The waterfall trip was quite the experience, 25.00 dollars for the entire day, what a deal, and with Mel, if you are not sure, you don't have to pay him until you return, if you are not happy, he does not want your money. That even include lunch and a big 60 pounder of rum after the waterfall, unless you have an heart problem, climbing the falls ( 7 of them ) is an experience I will never forget, what a beautiful scenery.

Back to the hotel, we met so many nice couples, a lot were from Quebec, that's ok, lived there for 28 years, no young loud teenegers, just middle age couple like us, and the fact that there is only 91 rooms, you see all the same people every day and you make friends.

In a nutshell, I liked the quiet atsmosphere of the hotel, I like if I want to have a lot of action, I go to it, not the action coming to me when I don't want it, it was perfect for us, if you want to party all night, you go downtown, if you want to rest and enjoy the beach, the relax atmosphere, the nice conversations with couples from around the world, you stay at the hotel restaurant and bars and enjoy, just the sound of the waves hitting the rocks in the morning while having breakfast make me want to go right now.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
bertgilbert said:
This is a little outdated since we went last year, but I just joined and here is my experience of Sosua. Friends of ours recomended this hotel, Sosua by the sea, said it was small and friendly, it was. A few problems when we checked in, they gave us a regular room, we paid for a suite, no problem, it was corrected instantly with a smile.

The room was fantastic, living room, bathroom and a separate bedroom, the hot water was a problem for the first day but was fixed the next day. Not that we spent a lot of time in it. The beach was right there, just a few step from the pool bar, the sand was so nice, never seen such a clean beach, not even a small rock in the sand, pure pure sand only.

Location, talk about a great location, just a 10 to 15 minutes to the airport, none of the 3 hours bus ride to your resort. The town of Sosua was also an added bonus, just steps away from the hotel, I really mean steps, 30 feet across the street, there was this wonderfull restaurant/bar for those who like a little change of pace and meet people from other resort in the area. It was open 24 hours a day, and I actually went there one morning at 6 am for a beer. They have a menu that you have to see to beleive, (the restaurant across the street), alligator, kangorou, deer, wild boar and other unsual stuff, they also have normal stuff like burger and pizza.

You can walk in town with no problem, some vendor are a little annoying but that's how they make a living. We walk to the bank, use the ATM machine, very usefull, walk by a school, and found this grocerie store that actually had prices on everything, no dealing needed, that is where the locals also shop, great selection of everything from wine, hard liquor, food, cigars, regular groceries, fruits and a lot more, the prices were unbeleiveable we bought a bottle of local rum for a buck fifty, Dominican cigarette for around 25 cent a pack and they taste a lot better than american, dont bother bringing some from home or buy some at the airport, the same smoke at the Luperon airport ( duty free) were 3 dollars a pack.

We went whale watching and did the waterfalls, don't and I repeat don't buy any escursions from anybody but Mel's tour, also across the street, he is half price of any tours from your trip rep. We did not know that at fisrt but we got really screwed from the sunwing rep, paid 100.00 us each for the whale watching and there was no refund, even after they cancelled the scheduled day and moved us to another day, and forced us to either go on a day that we did not want to go or lose our money. That day that they moved us to, we already made plans with Mel to go on a day trip, had to go see Mel to re-schedule the waterfall trip, no problem, by the way, the whale trip with Mel was 50.00, not a hundred. The waterfall trip was quite the experience, 25.00 dollars for the entire day, what a deal, and with Mel, if you are not sure, you don't have to pay him until you return, if you are not happy, he does not want your money. That even include lunch and a big 60 pounder of rum after the waterfall, unless you have an heart problem, climbing the falls ( 7 of them ) is an experience I will never forget, what a beautiful scenery.

Back to the hotel, we met so many nice couples, a lot were from Quebec, that's ok, lived there for 28 years, no young loud teenegers, just middle age couple like us, and the fact that there is only 91 rooms, you see all the same people every day and you make friends.

In a nutshell, I liked the quiet atsmosphere of the hotel, I like if I want to have a lot of action, I go to it, not the action coming to me when I don't want it, it was perfect for us, if you want to party all night, you go downtown, if you want to rest and enjoy the beach, the relax atmosphere, the nice conversations with couples from around the world, you stay at the hotel restaurant and bars and enjoy, just the sound of the waves hitting the rocks in the morning while having breakfast make me want to go right now.

I am glad that you enjoyed your visit in Sosua! it is always nice to hear great stories!

gert51

Dec 27, 2004
going to casa marina next door

bertgilbert said:

hi whats name of restaurant across the road

bertgilbert

Feb 1, 2005
spaces.msn.com
Name of bar across from sosua by the sea

gert51 said:
hi whats name of restaurant across the road
the name is; Tainobeach Bar, plaza Bohio Taino, can't miss it, if you want, I have some picture of it I can e-mail if you want

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This place is closed for renovations, they should be open soon though