Is Sosa in Cansecos' Book About Steroids Use?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Is Sosa in Canseco's Book About Steroids Use?

If you read the newspapers, you will have noticed that Cuba's Hot Dog, Jose Canseco, wrote a book (well, since he is such a dummy, someone else wrote it for him) about steroids use in baseball. Coming out on Feb 21st.

He is naming names and he has already said that he injected Mark McGwire and that he saw Barry Bonds and Mcgwire injst themselves with steroids. He is also saying in his book that regular users were Juan Gonzalez, Rafael Palmeiro, Ivan Rodriguez among others.

I have not read the book but I was told that there's a 90% chance that Sosa is also mentioned. Well, there's no surprise there. Whomever thinks that Sosa does not "juices" himself is not only blind, but also dead.

I just hope that Jose "strikeout" Canseco's book would tell me something that I already did not know.

Whomever buys this "trash" of a book, pls let us know if Sosa, Batista and other dominicans that have "grown" in recent years are also mentioned.

Last edited:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I don't know if Sosa was mentioned or not, it hasn't been confirmed in the press that I've read about. Agreed, anyone who's followed Sosa's career, from un flaco to how he was a couple of years ago, to how he is now again, there should be no doubts about steroid use. Apparently, Canseco also said that there was also no way that George Bush didn't know steroids were being used by many of his Texas Rangers.

What I don't get about all this is why Canseco is carrying this so far. Baseball $$$ running out, and wanting to sell his book is the only motive I can figure. But he's sure damaging a lot of reputations, and making a lot of enemies.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
This has been talked about

ad nausium on ESPN all day today, and Sammy's name wasn't mentioned. It seems that as much of a loose cannon as Canseco is, he (or his ghost writer and publisher more likely) was smart enough to limit his accusations to players he actually had associations with. i don't think Jose and Sammy were ever teammates

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
No!

sweetdbt said:
ad nausium on ESPN all day today, and Sammy's name wasn't mentioned. It seems that as much of a loose cannon as Canseco is, he (or his ghost writer and publisher more likely) was smart enough to limit his accusations to players he actually had associations with. i don't think Jose and Sammy were ever teammates
No, they were never teammates but Sosa's name does not need to be mentioned to know that he has used it.

Canseco has always been a "publicity seeker" and now that his money is running low, you know, with all his legal problems, I guess that he has to be a "whistle blower". Then again, who is he kidding.

Have any notice that ever since the baseball commissioner started talking about random steroid tests, many players, including Bonds and Sosa, have lost weight and their production numbers have declined?.

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Miguel

If I understood the reports it wasn't Canseco who injected Mcgwire with steroids. It was Jason Giambi. And vice versa. It is sad that Jose needs to
do this for some attenion and money. However it could be true. The power numbers were going down. Now with more testing on the way they could go even more.

JD

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Sosa hasn't been mentioned but George Bush was from when he was one of the owners of the Texas Rangers. Canseco said GW was fully aware of what was going on.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
miguel said:
Have any notice that ever since the baseball commissioner started talking about random steroid tests, many players, including Bonds and Sosa, have lost weight and their production numbers have declined?.

Difference being that Bonds is still producing. Just that no pitcher has the guts to pitch to him anymore. I know Babe Ruth, Roger Maris, etc. never had to deal with such gutless pitchers. Getting millions of bucks a year to back down from the game's best. Strategy or not, have some heart. Maybe he'd be putting up the same numbers, maybe not. Last year's stats were crazy, and I highly doubt that he was juicing last year.

Sosa, Giambi, McGuire , et al, all succumbed to the effects of steriods and moreso, the aftermath. No confidence and fluke injuries. From Ken Caminiti to Brady Anderson to Brian Bosworth to Tony Mandarich.

Sammy's his own case, not to be lumped into Canseco's rage. It would be interesting to see if the media starts connecting the dots between some of these guys and their teams after leaving the A's/Rangers.

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
Rat Bastid!

Jose Canseco is a first class a$$! Wasted away his talent and his money and now backstabs his contemporaries. The lowest of the low, rat bastid!

I hope no one buys this trash and validates his selfish, warped ambitions.

On another note I have not seen Bonds name mentioned in the many reports I have read regarding this book. Not saying he didn't juice for a while though......

The important thing overall is that it is becoming unacceptable/taboo within the player circles to use steroids, this will have the greater impact on the diminished use of the drug in the sport and insuring everyone is playing on an even field.

thepiper

Jan 25, 2005
Maybe Samuel Sosa will write the tell all book of corked bats. I heard he travels with his "bruja".

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
I stand correctly!

Jersey Devil said:
If I understood the reports it wasn't Canseco who injected Mcgwire with steroids. It was Jason Giambi. And vice versa. It is sad that Jose needs to
do this for some attenion and money. However it could be true. The power numbers were going down. Now with more testing on the way they could go even more.

JD
Actually, I just re-read the NY post's article and it says that, indeed, Canseco injected McGwire. He says that he, Canseco, on a later date, saw Giambi and McGwire injecting themselves.

From my point of view, the game is tainted so for me, Bonds or Sosa can hit 1,000 home runs a season and I would not be happy about it. Baseball is not the same for me anymore. I used to be a die-hard baseball fan and I still have collection of baseball "goodies" dating back to 1970 (when I was just 8), but when the game changed it's name to "the money game", out went my die-hard status.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Not certain

But I heard Sosa has lost almost 30 pounds since the end of the season.

Have to see it to believe it, but after his '04 season, nothing will surprise me.

I wonder what Golo will attribute that to.

IMO, Sammy's exploits in baseball are a link to the dozens of deaths of Dominican youth who have ingested growth hormone drugs designed for cattle.

If you think that's a stretch, you'd better build a really good argument before responding.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Steroids for cattle in the DR?

Who exactly has died from this stuff in the DR? I'm not trying to question your validity, I just want some more information on this subject. My own personal experience with this has been with amatuer cyclists who can pretty much get their hands on whatever they can afford if they know the right person/pharmacist in the DR.
For Sammy Sosa to have lost so much weight (30 pounds) is a testament to the bloating that occurs while on steroids. Now that he may be off the stuff, he may look very svelte indeed.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Under the newswire.

Berzin said:
Who exactly has died from this stuff in the DR? I'm not trying to question your validity, I just want some more information on this subject. My own personal experience with this has been with amatuer cyclists who can pretty much get their hands on whatever they can afford if they know the right person/pharmacist in the DR.
For Sammy Sosa to have lost so much weight (30 pounds) is a testament to the bloating that occurs while on steroids. Now that he may be off the stuff, he may look very svelte indeed.
I haven't seen him, but I heard it somewhere, but until we see it...

There have been various stories (Washington Post - i believe - was the last one I saw) about break-ins at Veterenarian offices and what have you. There have been numerous deaths, but it gets only a weak once-over in the news.

Keep in mind, it's the ones we don't know about that really scare me. The numbers are probably quite significant.

Sad.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Si!

Cleef said:
But I heard Sosa has lost almost 30 pounds since the end of the season.

Not only that I have heard it but when I saw Sosa on tv (celebrating his wedding), he looked thinner than when he was playing. The same with McGwire.

I promise you that you will see many, many thinner ball players from now on!.

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
Jose names 2 Dominicans... are there more?

In NY Daily News:

"The furor continued on Friday when Canseco's diss-and-tell hit New York bookstores, along with its suggestions that Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, Miguel Tejada and others also used steroids. Canseco acknowledges he has no direct evidence those athletes juiced. But he pulls no punches - he believes those stars used."

In Jose Cansecos opinion he states 2 Dominican All-Stars are users, I can see Sosa but not Tejada.

Peace.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Oye!

capodominicano said:
In NY Daily News:

"The furor continued on Friday when Canseco's diss-and-tell hit New York bookstores, along with its suggestions that Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, Miguel Tejada and others also used steroids. Canseco acknowledges he has no direct evidence those athletes juiced. But he pulls no punches - he believes those stars used."

In Jose Cansecos opinion he states 2 Dominican All-Stars are users, I can see Sosa but not Tejada.

Peace.
Canseco is not credible on many things but I believe him completely on this. He said on an interview that many are saying that he is doing this because he needs money and he put those rumors to rest when he said that he is still a millionaire and that it's very easy to find out if he is broke or not. He also said that just his properties are worth more than 10 million dollars and anybody can see their values because they are on open record.

Sosa is a sure thing. Tejada, who knows but I would not sit here and say that he has not done it.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002

miguel said:
I would not be surprised if he mentions the Pope.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
stats out the window

last night on espn seen peter gammons say ,alot more is going to come out of this and feels most of the truth will be heard in the end.and bonds homers will mean nothing along with many others and may stop them from hall.i think if they were users that would be the right thing to do.baseball has had enough problems to overcome to get fan base back after the strike,by juicing the ball in the 90's.this should have been niped in the butt a long time ago by the owners,mangers,trainers,clean players, and mostly the commissioner's office. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
miguel said:
Actually, I just re-read the NY post's article and it says that, indeed, Canseco injected McGwire. He says that he, Canseco, on a later date, saw Giambi and McGwire injecting themselves.

From my point of view, the game is tainted so for me, Bonds or Sosa can hit 1,000 home runs a season and I would not be happy about it. Baseball is not the same for me anymore. I used to be a die-hard baseball fan and I still have collection of baseball "goodies" dating back to 1970 (when I was just 8), but when the game changed it's name to "the money game", out went my die-hard status.

I heard it on WFAN in New York. I actually lost my desire to follow the game after the 1994 strike. Right now NCAA basketball is the sport I follow most closely.

JD