Cost of cell phone?

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
I don't mean to post a new thread about the same question you have seen many times-I have seen past threads and have gotten some different information about the cost of a phone.
I have checked out Orange and Codetel and they show phones but I am unsure of what the real cost would be to buy one outright.
Any help?
Thanks

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
jrfkhe said:
I don't mean to post a new thread about the same question you have seen many times-I have seen past threads and have gotten some different information about the cost of a phone.
I have checked out Orange and Codetel and they show phones but I am unsure of what the real cost would be to buy one outright.
Any help?
Thanks

I was in the orange store yesterday and asked about their specials.They showed me a small Motorolla phone going for $990.00 RD pesos with activation and $100 RD pesos worth of minutes. This is a prepaid account.
Also check with centennial dominicana. Verizon(formerly codotel) also has specials Ask for the Pre-pagado. (Pre-paid). Best of luck.

Rami

Sep 25, 2003
you are right

Just came back two days ago. we bought motorola phone at Orange store in Sosua for 1000 pesos with a 100 peso card included. Used it for month and sold it for 1000 peso as we left.Total cost? only the time we bought with cards. Calls to US and Canada were at same rate as local calls.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Thanks for the response-someone down there said a camera phone was about 400 dollars. I know in Canada now they are about 250. But a 1000 pesos for a phone isn't bad.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Verizon has similar deals on Qualcom or Nokia phones. About RD1000 with some talk time included.

chica

Feb 9, 2004
Hi,

I have 2 questions.

What cost a cell phone with camera in DR ?

Where can i find a store where the sell orange or verizon pre cards and cell phones?

I gonna stay in the riu hotels in Maimon.

Thanks

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
chica,

I suspect you will need to go into Puerto Plata to get the phone. The main Verizon store is near the Parque Central. Not sure about Orange. Both companies also have small branches scattered everywhere. Verizon has one inside the Western Union next to the Brugal Factory on the carretera. The cards are sold at virtually every colmodo, supermarket, drug store, etc. throughout the DR. You can probably buy them right at the resort.

caro

Sep 24, 2003
if you want use your cell at the hotel don t buy a orange one because they don t work at the riu hotel .

BigDaddy

Jan 16, 2005
Know what you're buying

jrfkhe said:
Thanks for the response-someone down there said a camera phone was about 400 dollars. I know in Canada now they are about 250. But a 1000 pesos for a phone isn't bad.

For 1000 pesos you're probably going to be buying a reconditioned phone. If you want a new one that's pretty good, plan on spending about 3 times that.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
BigDaddy said:
For 1000 pesos you're probably going to be buying a reconditioned phone. If you want a new one that's pretty good, plan on spending about 3 times that.

The phone prices mentioned here are for either brand new or factory reconditioned phones bought direct from Orange or Verizon. I've bought a couple from Verizon and found them to be perfectly servicable. I believe they were new, probably overstock of discontinued models bought in bulk. I'm not sure what a "pretty good" phone is, especially if you are only using it for a week or 2 while on vacation.

The little factoid caro gave is priceless to the OP. Verizon is what they need. What good is a phone if it doesn't work where you are staying? I've always used Verizon because I tend to travel around when I'm there. While I know there are some specific places where Orange reception is better, the Verizon coverage is more extensive.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
chica said:
Hi,

Sweetdbt where did you bought your cell phones?

I bought mine from Verizon at a small branch they operate inside the Western Union on the carretera next to the Brugal factory. It is on the other side of PP from Maimon. However, you would pass right by it on your way from the airport. If you are in a cab, you could have the driver stop, exchange your money at Western Union and buy the phone in one stop! I doubt if a hotel shuttle with other passengers would do this, but you could ask.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
BigDaddy said:

You are half right. The Orange store's sell new phones for about $1,000 RD about $37.00 US.

Rami

Sep 25, 2003
Brand new

As I posted above, I paid RD1000 and it was brand new at orange in Sosua.

wight-boy

Nov 6, 2003
Just to clear this up...

The Motorola T-193 (the now legendary 1000 peso phone) IS FACTORY RECONDITIONED contrary to popular belief. Look at the stickers on the side of the box. Its says, translated, reconditioned equipment guaranteed by Orange for 6 months. It is in currently in stock again as of today in the NetService Orange stores (Sosua, Cabarete, Nagua, Rio San Juan, Sabaneta) but is selling very fast I hear.... ;)

lrh2100

Feb 16, 2005
chica, Sweetdbt is right , make sure you use verizon they work everyehere.
i paid RD$1300 with a $300 pesos calling car. therefore it only cost me $1000 pesos. you can buy then anywhere.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Orange very rarely sell new phones into this market. I think you will find that 95% are reconditioned. This is one of the reasons they can compete so well here. They dump product :)