Saman? or Bayahibe?

Mikito

Feb 17, 2005
Hola

?Como Estan?

I apoligize how long this post is but i figure the more info i give the better answer i can get.

First a quick background on me which I think is important to my question:

Canadian Gringo that has been living in Santo Domingo for the past 6 and a half months. I have what I would call survival spanish, I can get around, people can understand me, i can have interesting conversations but my grammer is far from perfect, i wont be discussing foreign trade policy in spanish any time soon, and i sometimes have to ask for people to repeat themselves. I have travelled a fair bit within the RD, driven from SD to Bayhia de los Aguilas, and know how to use the dominican public transport system of guaguas and carro publicos which i refer to as "organized chaos". Now for my question.

My father who speaks no spanish is coming down to visit me in a few weeks for 5 days (arrives thurs at 2pm and leaves tuesday at 1pm mas o menos). He wants to spend a day or 2 in SD, 2 days in a beach, and 1 day for something different (ie. the interior). For a beach he says he would like una playa tranquilla, with good snorkeling and a nice hotel. Money is not that much of a concern. So I was looking at 2 options for my time outside SD, both involve renting a car.

First is bayahibe, going to isla saona for a day, spending another day lieing on the beach and maybe take him to the national park in the east for a day.

The second is driving to Samana. Now i know its far (5 hours i am guessing) but think it would be nice to drive through the interior, be able to show him Santiago quickly which I think is beautiful. There is also a lot of differnent things to do in the Samana area and by all accounts its beautiful. One important thing i do not know is if there is any good snorkeling around Samana.

I am looking for advice on the better option, and recommendations for things to do within the two options. It should be a relaxing trip, and a little touristy but i do not want it to my too touristy if you know what i mean (ie. spend 2 or 3 days in an AI).

If you have gotten this far, than wow, I am impressed and looking forward to your suggestions.

Gracias

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Suggest you take him to Bayahibe, with a side trip to Altos de Chavon and La Romana city. The trip to Samana may be tiresome, because it is four hour drive there and four hours drive back.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Dolores said:
The trip to Samana may be tiresome, because it is four hour drive there and four hours drive back.

You may want to consider flying Aerodomica from STI to Portillo Airport (a 30 min. flight), which is a few miles east of Las Terrenas. From there you can take a taxi to Samana (approx. 20 minutes). Have a great trip!