Traveling in Mid-March

Sunnidae

Feb 18, 2005
I'll be heading to the Dominican Republic in mid-march, first to Santiago and then north to the coast. I was wondering what a reasonable budget would be - I'm very used to traveling barebones and I was curious how much a low-budget traveler would spend per day. I'll probably be taking buses around.

How much is a very low-budget night of housing? Is it possible to find somewhere for under 10 dollars? 20? What about food?

Also, there are two further considerations - I'll be traveling with my boyfriend, and I was wondering if we stay at a more home-style place, will there be problems with us sharing a bed?

And, I'm vegetarian. I survived for a month in Cuba without eating meat - how similar will it be in the DR? Really tough, or just a little more difficult than finding normal food?

Thanks so much!

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
I do not see why you could not sleep on the beach, eat coconuts, and bathe in the sea. Just bring mosquito repellant, salt water soap and a machete.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
If you're not fussy about food, it is easy to live here as a vegetarian. Not fancy food, but sufficient fruit and veg and rice and beans.

Travelling low budget is also mostly easy. I would suggest you do a couple of searches on travel, transportation, moto concho, guagua, metro and caribbe tours.

For low budget accommodation these days it is perhaps better to plan for the 20 dollars a day range. If you have an idea of where you're going to be, you could search on the forum for those towns and I'm quite sure that there will be recommendations for low budget places for just about every town of note in the Dominican Republic. I'm sure you can share a bed with whoever, wherever and whenever you want to in the DR. ;)

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
There are some very low cost hotels, but you will share bathroom facilities, and they may not have hot water and probably no generator for power during outages. There are a few places with private bath and hot water in the $20 range. I believe Rockey's in Sosua still has rooms for $18.

As a vegetarian, you can certainly eat cheaply. Hope you like rice and beans! Spaghetti and other pasta dishes are also readily available. Fruit can also be cheap, especially bought from vendors off the back of trucks, or from small fruit stands. In fact, if you are resourceful, you may find some free. Avocados, batatas (local variety of sweet potato), and platanos are other staples, although I guess platanos aren't as cheap as they used to be!

Transportation by bus or guagua is also inexpensive, and the Caribe and Metro Buses are modern and comfortable (except when they crank the AC to arctic cold). About $5 from Santiago to Puerto Plata.

I can't imagine any accomodation in the DR which would have a problem with a couple sharing a bed. Some may charge more for 2 than for one.

I know I'll probably get ripped for saying this, but it's possible for 2 to travel "back packer style" on less than $40 a day, including a modest amount of "adult beverage". I haven't done this, but I know people who have.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Lechero said:
I do not see why you could not sleep on the beach, eat coconuts, and bathe in the sea. Just bring mosquito repellant, salt water soap and a machete.

LOL. They got to remeber DR is not like cuba they mentioned. DR is more expensive people are paying $255 RD pesos for a whopper combo at Burger King(8.50$ us). They will not find any hotel for $10.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Huh?

stallion said:
LOL. They got to remeber DR is not like cuba they mentioned. DR is more expensive people are paying $255 RD pesos for a whopper combo at Burger King(8.50$ us). They will not find any hotel for $10.

Half of this thread has been spent discussing the fact that the OP is a vegetarian and the options they will have for food and what it will cost. I somehow doubt they'll be stopping at Burger King for the overpriced whopper combo. Last I checked you could gorge yourself on rice and beans for about 50 pesos or so.

There are hotels in the $10 range, it's just that the people who eat at Burger King don't stay there. (I'll admit I don't either, although I've visited some.)These are sometimes referred to as "pensiones", and are very basic accomodation with a shared cold-water bath. Usually most of the occupants are Dominicans paying a monthly rate, but if they have an empty room, they will rent it by the night.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
sweetdbt said:
Half of this thread has been spent discussing the fact that the OP is a vegetarian and the options they will have for food and what it will cost. I somehow doubt they'll be stopping at Burger King for the overpriced whopper combo. Last I checked you could gorge yourself on rice and beans for about 50 pesos or so.

There are hotels in the $10 range, it's just that the people who eat at Burger King don't stay there. (I'll admit I don't either, although I've visited some.)These are sometimes referred to as "pensiones", and are very basic accomodation with a shared cold-water bath. Usually most of the occupants are Dominicans paying a monthly rate, but if they have an empty room, they will rent it by the night.

hey burger king sells veggie burgers too.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Sunnidae said:
I'll be heading to the Dominican Republic in mid-march, first to Santiago and then north to the coast. I was wondering what a reasonable budget would be - I'm very used to traveling barebones and I was curious how much a low-budget traveler would spend per day. I'll probably be taking buses around.

How much is a very low-budget night of housing? Depends but look at 10-20 dollars Is it possible to find somewhere for under 10 dollars? I dont think so with current peso rate 20? that would be about right What about food? for 50-80 pesos a meal at a local stand

Also, there are two further considerations - I'll be traveling with my boyfriend, and I was wondering if we stay at a more home-style place, will there be problems with us sharing a bed? Not that I know of.. they might charge you more.. if he' s Dominican he might know some budget places

And, I'm vegetarian. I survived for a month in Cuba without eating meat - how similar will it be in the DR? Really tough, or just a little more difficult than finding normal food? Just a little more difficult.. at the stands they usually sell banana, potatoes and veggies.. a basic meal usually includes meat, but you can ask for a meal without meat no problem

Thanks so much!

As far as transport goes.. try the publico's or guagua buses.. the cheapest local transport..

So a real minimum bare-bones budget for 2 would imo be:

1) Sleeping at around 500-750 pesos (17,5 to 26,5 dollars at 28 to 1)
2) Food at around 6 * 50-80 = 300 - 480 pesos ((10,5 to 17,5 dollars at 28 to 1)
3) Drinks at around 6 * 45-60 = 270 - 360 pesos (9,5 to 12,5 dollar at 28 to1)
4) Transport (depending on destination) at around 150 - 500 pesos (5,5 to 17,5 dollars at 28 to 1)

So total exclusive of sight seeing etc...

Daily expenditure would be ranging between 43 to 74 dollars a day for two.. imo the latter number would be more realistic..

Hope this helps,

MD

Last edited:

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
stallion said:

Forget the Whoppers.
How much is a tostada de queso and a jugo de limon in a cafteria? Or a piece of torta de maiz in a panaderia?
A couple of guineos from a guy on the street isn't more than a few pesos.
It can be done really cheaply if they stay away from American food chains and tourist traps.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
stewart said:
Forget the Whoppers.
How much is a tostada de queso and a jugo de limon in a cafteria? Or a piece of torta de maiz in a panaderia?
A couple of guineos from a guy on the street isn't more than a few pesos.
It can be done really cheaply if they stay away from American food chains and tourist traps.

Depending on where...

Some prices in Moca.. street vendors:

Batidos = DR$ 30 (drink)
Various empanadas = DR$ 35 -50 (filled rolls)

A few pesos is not gonna cut it anymore.. mainly because of the peso/dollar you will not get away on a shoestring budget anymore..