A Business is Closing

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
It is with sadness that I announce that the guided tours at the Tropical Plantation have stopped! Some of you know that I have been running the marketing and sales departments for the owner in Santo Domingo.

Apparently he is selling the plantation and moving out of the country! IF anyone is interested in the property please send me a PM.

Unfortunately the way the announcement was made was not very nice. The owner showed up in the office Wednesday morning and within the hour made the announcement! HE started removing furniture etc in the afternoon! My staff were let go immediately and I am finished tomorrow!

For those of you who know me - don't worry - I have other projects on the go. I am still in the office and will keep it for my own business!

I have contacted a lawyer on behalf of myself and my staff to make sure we are treated according to the laws here!

Thanks to everyone who helped me out and gave me support!

Apparently you can still show up at the plantation and walk the grounds. The cost is $10 payable at the gate. However you will not have a tour guide, coffee, fruit or other benefits. It is still worth seeing!!!

solituna

Jan 26, 2004
Where?

Hi, Sorry to hear about the treatment! Good move to get a lawyer. As you said, you should be given what the law stipulates.
Since I have never heard about the tropical plantation, could you please let me know?

Thanks & Good luck!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Thanks!

The plantation is about 10 km up Carretera Touristica, also known as the twisty road to Santiago. IT was developed as a tourist excursion and is absolutely stunning! IT is 30 acres of grounds, 2 free flight bird aviaries, a koi fish pond holding 4,000 fish and so many stunning plants you just can't imagine!

It is worth seeing!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You had better put a lein on the property!

I get a nasty feeling when things like happen.

Lawyers for sure.

Make sure he does not leave the country. Put in a "Querella" at the Oficina de Trabajo. Document what he took. It may just be your severance pay....

YOu have to get nasty now, do not be your normal, nice personnae.

HB !!!!!!!

aerobaticman

Nov 10, 2004
Ouch

Sorry to hear that bad news. But glad that you have other things on the burner to keep you going.

I'll never forget the day when we got back from lunch one day at work, the boss said he lost a contract, he was closing the company, and we (60ish employees) had 3 hours to pack up our stuff. And this was in the USA!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Good advice

thanks everyone for your kind words! Just so you all know, I am also still looking for other projects to work on!

I was absolutely shocked when he did this. I did make a list of what he took but it is not complete as I was emptying desks while they were moving things. They did take some items that don't belong to them butn ot much.

Some items were left behind by them and my lawyer has given me some advice. One problem Hillbilly is that my last day is tomorrow, technically we can't file the "Querella" till then. He left the country apparently yesterday. However he has other business dealings here and assets so we have options.

I am very hopeful it won't come to nasty dealings. We shall see. But rest assured I am NOT seeing this through rose coloured glasses!

Pa' Lante as they say here... not sure I spelled it right but what the heck.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Thanks, I have a couple projects on the go now. In fact I head to Juan Dolio on Sunday for 3 days of work.

There is a lot of work out there depending on your skills! I"m sure I will stay busy.

Justintime

Aug 18, 2004
So Sorry..

...to hear about this situation. Please consider Hillbilly's advice carefully, he is bang on (as usual). I wish you well.

Justintime

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Don't worry I take HB's advice very seriously. He is very much in the know and has his feet firmly planted on the ground. My lawyer is very reputable and giving me good advice as well!!!

Thanks....

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Sorry to hear about the plantation being closed and sold. I really enjoyed the tour last year, it was very educational and so quiet and relaxing up there in the hills.
Good luck with your new projects,
All the best,
Bartolomeo

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Thanks Bart, the plantation really is a stunning place. Like I said for those who want to see it - $10 at the door.

As for other projects I'll be letting people know when it is time.....LOL