Garment Manufacturing

lennyi

Mar 14, 2005
www.access-on-line.com
Hello,

I would like to make contact with a small garment manufacturer that might have spare time/overtime availability to work on short run/limited quantity projects. My wife designs, makes patterns, cuts and assembles costumes for a dance studio. This year, from January to April she will have produced almost 200 custom tailored costumes... 12 different costumes with quantities that range from 7 to 40 (various sizes included in this). There are over 1000 students in the studio that purchase anywhere from 1 to 4 costumes a year. We feel there is a huge market for these custom designed cosumes throughout the US, as well as a tremendous market for simple one piece bodysuit costumes.

What I am looking for is a creative manufacturer that would work with my wife next year (possibly during evenings and off hours and be able to cut and assemble the costumes while my wife provides onsite guidance. Samples of last year's costumes are here: http://www.access-on-line.com/costume_design/costume_design.htm

Thanks for your time, I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Lenny Intonti

Last edited:

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Wouldnt that be hard having someone doing them in another country? I mean for meassuring, making changes etc etc... Before coming and living in Dominican Republic I worked at home as well in promotion & marketing, which also included some big events like concert, tours etc. The costume making was a work where the designers worked VERY close with the tailor, in the work, in the details, materials etc etc
And would you gain anything, taking into that you would need to ship those over, alternative come here and get them, making changes etc etc.

Just a few thoughts that came to my mind, maybe I am wrong...

lennyi

Mar 14, 2005
www.access-on-line.com
You are VERY right

Hi,

Yes, you are correct, this particular studio has about 200 costumes (out of 1,200 or more) that are "tailor made". Changes/alterations would have to be done, but, as they are now, they are minimal... which is why my wife would have to work very, very closely with the shop for these costumes. The "simple" costumes are 4 or 5 sizes.

If I can find a company that can work this way, I can sell the costumes and design to other dance studios... The key is always in the numbers and the production costs. But, you are right, shipping too.

I guess what we are looking for is a small manufacturing firm that is doing ok, can, and wants, to grow. I think they would do this as an overtime/slack time venture... in the hopes that I can sell my wife's talent to other studios.

Any ideas on who might be capable?

Lenny

carina said:
Wouldnt that be hard having someone doing them in another country? I mean for meassuring, making changes etc etc... Before coming and living in Dominican Republic I worked at home as well in promotion & marketing, which also included some big events like concert, tours etc. The costume making was a work where the designers worked VERY close with the tailor, in the work, in the details, materials etc etc
And would you gain anything, taking into that you would need to ship those over, alternative come here and get them, making changes etc etc.

Just a few thoughts that came to my mind, maybe I am wrong...

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I dont know of any company, have thought about it, but no.
And small tailor "family business", in my opinion, might be a very hard way for you to work from a distance. In contact, if they dont have email, in keeping timelines, shipping costumes, prepayments, material costs etc.
I see your point but I am not sure it would work, unless you find a medium sized company, but they would charge in other means, and be interested in working on "hours off " etc.