Dominican skin color question????

Status
Not open for further replies.

victoria2005

Mar 18, 2005
Good evening, I am a African American lady. I would like to know if someone asked a Dominican to explain the color of their skin what would they say? In American we would say black, dark, light skinned, yellow ;) and mixed when giving a discription of a person of color. I am very courious. I had this dicussion with a friend. When in the DR all Dominicans think that I am a Dominican which makes me proud! Domincans are so beautiful. Thank you.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Dominican skin color is basically 'indio'. It's a proprietary color, so no other nationality or race can claim it.

DR Rubia

Mar 12, 2005
victoria2005 said:
Good evening, I am a African American lady. I would like to know if someone asked a Dominican to explain the color of their skin what would they say? In American we would say black, dark, light skinned, yellow ;) and mixed when giving a discription of a person of color. I am very courious. I had this dicussion with a friend. When in the DR all Dominicans think that I am a Dominican which makes me proud! Domincans are so beautiful. Thank you.

Good understandable question. I too think Dominicanos/as are beautiful no matter the light or dark of their skin. You are lucky to be "mistaken" for one of their own. It has taken me 5 years to reach that status, with only a few. It is a little hard for me considering I am a blond with blue eyes I don't blend well with my Dominican family :ermm:. I thank God they accept me anyway :D .

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Dominicans come from totally black (like haitians) to totally white like germans. There are many in between. moreno, morenito,indio, indio claro, blanco, rubio etc.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Good answer...

AZB said:
Dominicans come from totally black (like haitians) to totally white like germans. There are many in between. moreno, morenito,indio, indio claro, blanco, rubio etc.

...but in general when I think of dominicans' skin color I think about honey both in its color and in its texture. However, I must admit that when I think about the females I focus more on the taste....sweet...delicious...the honey of course! :lick:

NotLurking

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
"antonio bandera triguenito" : Ciguayo.

Well, Antonio Banderas is Spanish, from Spain, he is, of course, white. Where I come from "trigueno" is applied to whites who are of the Mediterranean type: olive skinned or simply with black hair and dark features. It is not a racial term or classification at all. In that sense, since Banderas is not blond, you may refer to him as trigue?o or moreno, as they say in Spain. Although his skin is very fair. Lolita Flores and others come closer to what I would call trigue?o/moreno. Still, we are talking about Caucasians, not something else.

On the other hand, I know that some Caucasian trigue?os may be mistaken for mulatoes and that some mulatoes may be mistaken for trigue?os. Equally, some curly-haired whites may be mistaken for "jabaos" and some "jabaos" may be mistaken for blond whites.

Jabao or jabado is a term used in some areas of the Caribbean to refer to persons of mixed race who are white-skinned and often have light-colored eyes and blond, curly hair of the "suspicious" kind. Meaning too curly or hard to comb to have derived from a Caucasian background. But as I said, I have seen persons who are members of bona fide white ethnic groups/families who may be mistaken for "jabaos". So it is better not to assume anything.

Finally, I am not Dominican and I am not familiar with the particular classifications used in the DR to describe skin color and the status assigned to each, but I assume that any mulato walking the streets of Santo Domingo may be assumed to be Dominican since that is the predominant type there, regardless of the person's actual nationality. If a white, blond hispanic keeps his mouth shut, people in the US may mistake him for a member of the non-hispanic white majority. Similarly, a Dominican of the same type may be mistaken for a gringo by his countymen, until he speaks.

I also think that when discussing race and phenotypes, one should keep in mind that in no country where two or more races have coexisted for hundreds of years, is there such thing as biological racial purity, regardless of the racial group you were born into or identify with. This applies to the US. and to Latin America as well. In the USA as in the Dominican Republic, being white- or classified as such- is better than being black. That both countries have in common. The difference is that mulatoes in the USA are considered part of the black population, while in the DR, after centuries of racial mixture and being the majority, they have developed their own ethnic identity as a people. If to that you add the genes from the pre-Columbian natives, it solidifies their identity and connection to the land and reinforces their sense of being different from Haitians, who are black and who once laid claim to their land. Because being white is considered better, the lighter a mixed race person is as a result of carrying more Caucasian blood, the higher his social status is. Similarly, having or exhibiting native Taino traits highlights a mixed race person's dominicanidad.

In addition, in the DR, as in many countries, if you look white, you are white and you escape falling victim to racial prejudice. The same is true of the USA today. The difference is that in the USA it is ilegal to discriminate against anyone on account of race or appearance and, from what I have read, in the DR this is not ilegal. But then again, in the DR racial relations are more fluid and relaxed than in the USA, from what I have read. The exception appears to be, of course, relations between Haitians and Dominicans.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.