"Semana Santa" Off To A Sad Start In The DR!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Sadly,the Catholic Church announced that they had to cancel the,"Parade Of The Virgins" in Santo Domingo today.They stated that ONE of the Virgins became ill just before the start of the traditional event,and the OTHER VIRGIN refused to march alone!

Well,here we go again!!

"Holy Week" in the DR!
"Supposedly" a time to celebrate Jesus' ascent into Heaven,but NOT HERE!!!!
In the DR it is more like some"PAGAN RITUAL"
How drunk can these people get??
Best part is,the TV & radio stations and all the newspapers will be keeping a running total of the "Dead",and how they got that way!!!
Number one way to die is in a car/bus/"motor" crash.
Number two is drowning.I almost did that myself! You really shouldn't dive off a boat after drinking a bottle of rum!I WAS able to walk to shore under water,I forgot how to swim!
"Intoxication" takes quite a few.
Being shot or stabbed or clubbed to death is # 4
Everpopular in the DR,Electrocution!(Never a good idea to make that illegal electrical connection when you are "$hit Faced"!!)
So,watch the "Media" and have a few laughs seeing all the ways dominicans can "off" themselves honoring "The Holy Spirits"!... "Brugal & Barcelo" that is!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
"Parade of Virgins" cancelled because Catholic Church

found out that the "Virgins" were not... :eek:

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
What age

Criss Colon said:
Sadly,the Catholic Church announced that they had to cancel the,"Parade Of The Virgins" in Santo Domingo today.They stated that ONE of the Virgins became ill just before the start of the traditional event,and the OTHER VIRGIN refused to march alone!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Chris, what was the age of the virgins?

Chuckuindy

They were 12,but they could STILL outrun all the men in their families!!!CCC

Last edited by a moderator:

DR Rubia

Mar 12, 2005
You are wicked.....BUT....true

Criss Colon said:

Well,here we go again!!

"Holy Week" in the DR!
"Supposedly" a time to celebrate Jesus' ascent into Heaven,but NOT HERE!!!!
In the DR it is more like some"PAGAN RITUAL"
How drunk can these people get??
Best part is,the TV & radio stations and all the newspapers will be keeping a running total of the "Dead",and how they got that way!!!
Number one way to die is in a car/bus/"motor" crash.
Number two is drowning.I almost did that myself! You really shouldn't dive off a boat after drinking a bottle of rum!I WAS able to walk to shore under water,I forgot how to swim!
"Intoxication" takes quite a few.
Being shot or stabbed or clubbed to death is # 4
Everpopular in the DR,Electrocution!(Never a good idea to make that illegal electrical connection when you are "$hit Faced"!!)
So,watch the "Media" and have a few laughs seeing all the ways dominicans can "off" themselves honoring "The Holy Spirits"!... "Brugal & Barcelo" that is!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

You just have no mercy do you! Altho this is sad it is true. They sure like to drink this week away! I called a friend of mine down there last night and what do you suppose he was doing??? YUP! Drinking, wasted! HE said it was holy week and so they were down to the pool hall in Cabeza De Toro and he had MUCH to drink! Man, I love that country! Can't wait to go back! :p

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Man, talk about hypocrisy. I like the times that I had during Semana Santa down there but the drunk driving and swimming when drunk and all that other crap that people do down there was insane. I can't believe that I never had a drink during any Semana Santa here or in DR, however, I never went to church either down there. Oh well.......I do stupid things all the time.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Funny, I love Christmas music, but have no idea about Easter music. Maybe I should go to church this week!? Last time I went to an Episcopal service on Easter the priest opened a bottle of brandy afterwards and almost every old person fell asleep after lunch!

Classic post!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
What makes you all think that Samana Santa has anything to do with this? You got to go to the beach and see all the Classy Dominicans from Santiago in the water with Half Gallon Jugs of Brugal in the Ocean. I saw one guy that had a string around his neck tied to the bottle so he didnt lose it fer heavens sake. What was real funny was that one guy had HB tattooed on one shoulder and AZB tattoo'ed on the other. That was how I was able to tell he was a "real" Dominican and not one of those Made by Mattel type we normally have here.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Escott said:
What makes you all think that Samana Santa has anything to do with this? You got to go to the beach and see all the Classy Dominicans from Santiago in the water with Half Gallon Jugs of Brugal in the Ocean. I saw one guy that had a string around his neck tied to the bottle so he didnt lose it fer heavens sake. What was real funny was that one guy had HB tattooed on one shoulder and AZB tattoo'ed on the other. That was how I was able to tell he was a "real" Dominican and not one of those Made by Mattel type we normally have here.
From as far as I can remember, Semana Santa is nothing more than a week's worth partying and going crazy for many many people here.

Nothing religious at all.

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
That's why I'll see you guys in a couple of weeks. The big hitters will be gone. Trina, we'll be there at the same time. Let's have some drinks and a dinner.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Think We Have finally Discovered What The "Gold Net"

On the "Brugal" bottle is for! Run a rope through the net and around your neck,and jump in the water!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Criss Colon said:
On the "Brugal" bottle is for! Run a rope through the net and around your neck,and jump in the water!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Colon nails it again...the two most religious weeks of the year have the highest death tolls...Xmas and Semana Santa....although it is tasteless....we need to take guesses on the death toll....I will begin....

my guess : as of midnight on Sunday, the death toll will be 117 nationwide....

as a tiebreaker...I predict 80 in vehicle accidents, 12 drownings (bathtubs do count!)...17 from gunshot wounds....4 alcohol overdoses....and 4 killed by the police for what will appear to be no reason....

Any other takers? I will buy the winner a beer at the next DR1 gathering....

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
KenoshaChris said:
That's why I'll see you guys in a couple of weeks. The big hitters will be gone. Trina, we'll be there at the same time. Let's have some drinks and a dinner.

Definitely! I've been trying to return your e-mail, but it has come back to me 3 times! Angel won't be coming as he's working, but I'd love to see you two again. Let me know what day is good, I'll be there for 2 weeks! Can't wait!

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Talldrink said:
I'll be there too! Anyone else down there for Semana Santa!!

Really? Great!!! MaineGirl will be around too. We need to have another reunion in Sosua for us latecomers! How about Eddy's for a change? Second Friday in April?

Eddy, I don't know if the Casa Marina will let me use their oven to bake you a cake ;) ! But we'll see what I can do with my aunt's stove! :D

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Scandall, you funny!

Scandall said:
Colon nails it again...the two most religious weeks of the year have the highest death tolls...Xmas and Semana Santa....although it is tasteless....we need to take guesses on the death toll....I will begin....

my guess : as of midnight on Sunday, the death toll will be 117 nationwide....

as a tiebreaker...I predict 80 in vehicle accidents, 12 drownings (bathtubs do count!)...17 from gunshot wounds....4 alcohol overdoses....and 4 killed by the police for what will appear to be no reason....

Any other takers? I will buy the winner a beer at the next DR1 gathering....

Pretty much agree with your death toll assessment except "those killed by police for no apparent reason". I will wager un litro de Brugal anejo that it'll be higher. Any more takers?

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Don Juan said:
Pretty much agree with your death toll assessment except "those killed by police for no apparent reason". I will wager un litro de Brugal anejo that it'll be higher. Any more takers?

I call your raise....and thanks for keeping to the subject...some "others" apparently don't know how to use the PM feature.... :)

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Scandall said:
I call your raise....and thanks for keeping to the subject...some "others" apparently don't know how to use the PM feature.... :)

Actually, no....I will see your bet and raise it to un litro de extra viejo...a?ejo is only one step up from carta dorada...which is poison....

The house is open if others wish to place their bets.....

going once.....goinf twice