Can you bring a PC into the DR?

A

anna coniglio

Can anyone tell me if I can bring a personal computer into the DR? It is not a lap top. Would I have a problem at the border? Has any of you fine ladies and gents done this before? I've read the nightmare stories about getting a car over and would not want the same to happen in this case.Thanks Anna Coniglio

D

DR One

Taxes on a computer are barely 3%, so you will pay peanuts to bring in your computer. Lap tops do not pay taxes. Just bring it in as carry on luggage or make sure it comes as accompanied luggage and does not get sent to the cargo department. What you want is to clear it as you walk through customs. It it gets sent to cargo, you will have to make a return trip to the airport, and prepare to spend about four hours going through the process.

W

Will

You can bring a PC, just be slick. Best luck is take a carry-on(sounds ridiculous but it ks) big enough to encase the CPU and just use it for that purpose. They very rarel check carry-ons. If not, never. As for the monitor, well, cross your fingers and pack it somewhere else. And good luck!

L

Luis Salcedo

Hi,

I recomend you buy that computer in the DR, computers are relativly cheap there, a full pentium PC with everything loaded (multimidia CD-ROM, and everything) can cost 12,000 pesos, that's less than 800 US dollars.

Plus, you wont have to ship the PC to the US if something happens to it there, don't be fool they have good warranties there.

Good luck

L

Luis Salcedo

Sorry I meant "don't be fooled"

Sorry I meant don't be fooled. not dont be fool.

D

Dee DeMusis

HI there--

Would someone PLEASE tell me where in the DR you can buy a computer for $800 US??? It always seemed the going rpice was over $1200-1500.

Dee

C

Canadian Bob

Dee, try Corsino's Computers in P. Plata. Canadian Bob.

L

Luis Salcedo

Hi there,

The starting price can be 12,000 pesos, depending on the amount of hardware you want to add, a good system can cost 15,000 pesos, or more, that's less than one thousand dollars that includes modem, printer, UPS and all software preinstalled, call Herrera Perez for details.

Don't just go to a retailer and buy, do some research first, IMO, is cheaper to get a pc in the DR than in the US.