Dominican residency vs citizenship

cgrullon

Apr 7, 2005
As a new member at dr1.com, I want to kickoff my first post by acknowledging what a wonderful resource we have here. Many thanks to the folks at dr1.com and the community that makes all of this possible!

I'm trying to understand the relative benefits of Dominican residency vs citizenship. I am a US citizen/resident who wants to apply for dual citizenship based on being the son of two Dominican citizens. My dad lives full-time in the DR and has all of his assets there. My mom and I live in the US.

Based on a previous post by Fabio Guzman, I understand that a nonresident beneficiary must pay a 50% surcharge on inheritance estate taxes; residents are not subject to this surcharge. Does the 50% surcharge also apply to nonresident Dominican CITIZENS?

More broadly, what are the major differences in rights and responsibilities of Dominican residents vs (nonresident) citizens?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Fabio can correct or confirm your understanding re inheritance.

For most, the main difference is that Residents are unable to vote or hold political office.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
The surcharge is applicable to all nonresidents, including Dominican citizens.

On the plus side, inheritance taxes have been lowered recently to a flat 3% after deducting medical, funeral and other expenses.