Mailing package to Dominican from US??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nic

Jan 13, 2005
Hello,

If any one can give me a suggestion it would be most appreciated!

We visited Juan Dolio at the end of January and had a wonderful time. We met a nice man who showed us around and helped us out a great deal.

He lives in La Romana and he have his address. I would like to ship him a package of stuff for himself and his family.

When I went to my post office they said that packages don't usually arrive there, and that they are usually conficated before the person can get them.

Does anyone know anything about this, or can suggest the best method of shipment?

Thank you!

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Use United Parcel Service (U.P.S.), FedX or D.H.L. Address it to their office here in the D.R. He can arrange delivery here in the DR to his home or work.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Nic said:
Hello,

We visited Juan Dolio at the end of January and had a wonderful time. We met a nice man who showed us around and helped us out a great deal.

He lives in La Romana and he have his address. I would like to ship him a package of stuff for himself and his family.

When I went to my post office they said that packages don't usually arrive there, and that they are usually conficated before the person can get them.

Does anyone know anything about this, or can suggest the best method of shipment?

Thank you!
I have always done well using FedEx. Not so much with UPS.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Nic said:
Hello,

Thank you!

Mail will never arrive, prepare to pay around $100 to use FedEx or DHL and if there is stuff they want to tax, he'll pay that too.

Save the costs and send him $100 + what you were going to buy - the fee via Western Union and call him or e-mail and tell him it is a tip (propina) or gift (regalo) for being such a good friend

N&D

Jan 29, 2004
Nic said:
Hello,

Thank you!

you can also try using an agency that only ships to DR. There's one's that ship large packages (clothes, food,etc..) and others that ship small ones (documents, pictures...etc..) I used one to send an album of pictures of my son to my mother in law. the package was sent to the agency in santo domingo where they called her upon arrival of the package.

Shark

Mar 5, 2005
Send to him a "CAJA"

As N&D told you,
If you live in NYC, Newark, Patterson, Perth Amboy, Miami or any city where there are a significant Dominican Community, you can go to a Dominican Shipping Company and send what we call a "CAJA" ( a big box) with a lot of goods inside (Clothes, shoes, food, DVD, CD's, etc, etc) for around a $100 dls and it will take 30 days to arrive anywhere in Dominican Republic.
Just pick up the yellow pages, look for dominicans shippings companies and ask then if they do this service...
What you put inside, don't lie to them because they do all the customs papers and you dont want to lose everything else.
Be sure to have a correct Name, Address and Phone number...
This is a very common services between us, don't be worry...

Greetings ;)
Shark

Wonderdog

Apr 25, 2005
ricktoronto said:
Mail will never arrive, prepare to pay around $100 to use FedEx or DHL and if there is stuff they want to tax, he'll pay that too.

Save the costs and send him $100 + what you were going to buy - the fee via Western Union and call him or e-mail and tell him it is a tip (propina) or gift (regalo) for being such a good friend

When I send large envelopes to DR (SD) using FedEx, the rate for "priority" service is actually lower than the rate for standard service. Even the FedEx employees were perplexed by this. My packages have always arrived at their destination within 3 days.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Watch How You Ship!!!!

Be carefull how you ship, Fed Ex is probably the best deal $$ wise, UPS is all but non exsistant. Your better to ship your goods to a notable company or hotel resort. Have that person foward your package to whomever. Fill the paperwork out correctly, Customs is sure to open it. I sent a couple of Eng/Span translators to some girls at the hotel in Punta Cana who were in a mandatory school for English. Cost at WalMart was about 10 bucks each, to ship was around $30 US plus be aware that the RECEIVING PARTY ONLY has to pay a duty on said package. This figure can be whatever the Customs wants. Remember that in most cases the people that you are sending to cannot afford the duty, and said package will be "returned to sender" MAYBE. iF IT DOES RETURN IT WILL STILL HAVE THE DUTY TO PAY AS WELL AS RETURN POSTAGE!!! In most cases this will exceed the value . Be carefull, and RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH...........ggn420

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Send MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is done all the time by the Dominicans living abroad.Why waste $100 dollars on shipping,then he has to pay customs,might be stolen,etc.!
Like the movie:"Show Me Da Money"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

NizaoDeBaniPapi

Apr 6, 2005
The Best Carrier is FedEx, go ahead and ship it to their office d own there, and place a "Hold at Station" option. That way they won't be out all day looking for his house, and he can come pick the package up with identification. It's more secure that way and Make sure you mark gift, so customs won't open it, and they never have my gifts. Never send anything other than a "gift".

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Money??

Criss Colon said:
It is done all the time by the Dominicans living abroad.Why waste $100 dollars on shipping,then he has to pay customs,might be stolen,etc.!
Like the movie:"Show Me Da Money"!
Money? Thats like giving the kids a key to the candy store. Ill tell ya a little story sometime..... The NYY hat I gave to a little Dominican boy.... Later. You want to buy a kid a baseball glove IE You send them money...ha! It will go for more needed things....like food. Matbe his big brother will take it and buy a bag of something....or maybe a chica ......Get my drift?? I'de send the glove as a gift.....................................GGN420

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Great Idea! And Then When They Have No Food In The House....

They can eat the baseball glove!!
My point is:::::::: Why waste money on shipping charges,customs fees,and possibly never have the "Gift" arrive anyway :bandit: .SEND MONEY,by Western Union,or any of the "others" you can find if you live near a "Dominican Community".EVERY Dominican I know likes MONEY!!!!And they ALL know how to find "Western Union"...."Vimenca" to them!!!!!!!!!!!
Besides,I you read the "OP" you will see that the "gift" is for a "man" with a "FAMILY",so I KNOW he would rather have $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!

Last edited:

Atino007

Apr 27, 2005
Money

Actually, I have been using moneygram, because their service is cheaper, and their exchange rate of dollars to pesos is better than western union. They are at all Wal Mart stores, and located throughout the DR

Nic said:
Hello,

Thank you!

Juan R. Fermin

Apr 10, 2014
Shipping to Dominican Republic

HELLO TO ALL, and thank you for reaching out and expressing value to your encounter while in the
Dominican Republic. In regards to sending a gesture of emotion to anyone in the DR, The best way is to
inform the recipient to go to POST OFFICE BOX INTERNATIONAL(POBI) or (MAIL BOXES ETC.) And register to
obtain a US Po box that will ship to DR. I have several and under the circumstances it's Ideal .

Aug 6, 2006
I have successfully mailed photos via the USPS. No one charged duty or other fees on delivery.

A fancy greeting card did not make it, though. It was never delivered.

I have found xoom a reliable way to send money. There is a fee of $4.99 and the exchange rate is $41.50 per US dollar. Perhaps other companies have better fees, I have not checked them all.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Nice to see that not much has changed since April 2005.....

CCCCCCologne, can you close this antique relic of a thread?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
2005??????????? Has the package not arrived. I gots to know? Don't leave me hangin'.

LTSteve

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
in 2004 the Post Office in Las Terrenas got a slip for a package for me.. I had to go to Samana to get it. And since I had to go there, they asked me if I would just take over the mail that they had from LT? They pointed to a canvas sac behind them about 4 feet tall!

So those postcards from the vacation in LT are on their way!!!!!

but the mail service in and out of the Capital is pretty good.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Detective Derfish strikes again

Curiosity killed the cat , Fish

Why? Why? whY?

Get a life, stop querying others about theirs.
Wash your socks or something... but take off thew sandals first......... well, maybe not:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.