Bicycle

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Hey there, hope all is well. I am wanting to bring a children's bike with me as a gift for a friends son. Was wondering if anyone had any idea if it is a huge deal/hassle or any suggestions on prep before leaving. I am travelling from my city via Toronto airport to P.Plata.
Was thinking of breaking it down a bit and shrink wrapping it. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
jrf said:
Hey there, hope all is well. I am wanting to bring a children's bike with me as a gift for a friends son. Was wondering if anyone had any idea if it is a huge deal/hassle or any suggestions on prep before leaving. I am travelling from my city via Toronto airport to P.Plata.
Was thinking of breaking it down a bit and shrink wrapping it. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Probably easier to buy one here - my daughter just had a birthday and my folks picked up a bike for her for a thousand and something pesos, not bad quality either. She's just turned 4 so the bike has training wheels still.
Let me know if you want to know where they bought it - you could probably get one cheaper in Santiago or the Capital in any case.

Stay well,
Amy

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
jrf said:

Get a box from the airline or approved by them for the bike. I have a friend in Cincinnatti who when he did come to the DR brought a bike every time in a huge 4 by 4 by 1 foot special bike crate. AA charged $50 extra, though when he checked in with me once they waived it due to my status with them.

If you read the luggage rules for your airline they will tell you how to bring a bike. Since it has to be taken apart at least partially for the box just buy a bike in the box and bring it as is.

RevenueCanada

Apr 13, 2005
ricktoronto said:
Get a box from the airline or approved by them for the bike. I have a friend in Cincinnatti who when he did come to the DR brought a bike every time in a huge 4 by 4 by 1 foot special bike crate. AA charged $50 extra, though when he checked in with me once they waived it due to my status with them.

If you read the luggage rules for your airline they will tell you how to bring a bike. Since it has to be taken apart at least partially for the box just buy a bike in the box and bring it as is.

"Special Status" ?

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Where to buy?

amy2761 said:
Probably easier to buy one here - my daughter just had a birthday and my folks picked up a bike for her for a thousand and something pesos, not bad quality either. She's just turned 4 so the bike has training wheels still.
Let me know if you want to know where they bought it - you could probably get one cheaper in Santiago or the Capital in any case.

Stay well,
Amy

Thanks Amy for the response. Not a bad price since a good bike here is about $75 cndn. I am staying in Sosua but P.Plata or even Santiago should not be a problem. Any ideas where? When I was there last, just didn't see a lot of kids with bikes, mind you, I was in some of the poorer areas visiting. Any other ideas about a great gift for her son?
I am well, and will be much better when back in the DR.
Thanks again.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
jrf said:
Thanks Amy for the response. Not a bad price since a good bike here is about $75 cndn. I am staying in Sosua but P.Plata or even Santiago should not be a problem. Any ideas where? When I was there last, just didn't see a lot of kids with bikes, mind you, I was in some of the poorer areas visiting. Any other ideas about a great gift for her son?
I am well, and will be much better when back in the DR.
Thanks again.

A bike is always a good idea - some books, paper and paint go down well too, although if their upbringing is less-than-middle-class the books and stuff will just get torn up and thrown away. No offense intended.
Bikes in Sosua (El Batey) are hard to find, but in Los Charamicos (which is 5 minutes away) they are easy to find, let me know when you're here (by PM) and I'll show you a few shops where they sell kids toys.

Stay well,
Amy

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Update on shipping a bike...

I checked out Westjets and Airtransat's websites and actually found that they will allow one piece of sporting equipment, such as a bicycle, for free.
However, it must be counted as one of your pieces of luggage. All you need to do is to turn the handle bars sideways and remove the pedals as well as either put into a box or a bag-which may be available at the airport for about 5 cndn. Hope this helps anyone else out there.
Should've checked there first-but hey, I like you guys.