Dominican Life in Toronto...

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Okay, since there is a current thread going on Dominican "stuff" or "culture" in Montreal, Canada... I figured why not ask where I can find Domincan stuff in Toronto. I am sure this has probably been covered in the past but I would love to some up-to-date information!

Specifially, I would love to know stores, markets, etc. that sell Dominican stuff - fruit, meat, spices, products, etc. Also, if anyone knows where the Toronto Dominican "life" and "night life" are at please tell me... i.e. baseball leagues, hair salons, clothing stores, clubs, etc....

MoReNiTa GuApA

Oct 8, 2004
Some info.

An answer to some of your questions...

There is a Dominican Baseball League here in Toronto. The season is just about to get underway. Last year they played at a baseball field near an elementry school behind the Finch and Milvan intersection. This year I am not sure if they are going to play in the same place. I used to go every Sunday but did not pay too much attention to the games. Mostly chating with my girlfriends and watching the kids play in the park. It is a mens league and that is what they do, the men play and the women chat. It really is a nice sunday afternoon vibe.

As for the Clubs, I know that Las Brisas has a Dominican night on Fridays and Sundays. Well I am not sure if Friday is a dominican night but the Promoter is Dominican and alot of Dominicanos do go. Sunday I think is the official "Domingos Dominicanos" Personally I like the Friday night better because 1) The crowd is younger and 2) People got to go to work on a Monday Morning!!!

Latin Fever also has a sunday dominican night where at about 10pm they serve free food and it is also free to get in. Although the last time we went (on a long weekend) it was pretty much empty so we ended up at Las Brisas.

The only restaurant that I know that is officially dominican is the Dominican Friendly on St. Clair west. Very good food and I believe friday nights they have a live band and dancing.

Oh yeah, Forgot to add Brugal is now being sold at some of the LCBO's in the city. The large one at Weston road and 401 and also the small one at the Galleria mall, Dufferin and Dupont to name a few. Mind you at a Rip off price. reg size bottle ...Toronto $22 CAD, DR $ 2-4 CAD.

Hope this helps

MG

Last edited:

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Super Latin Music on St Clair W sells various imported food products but not sure if they are specifically Dominican...maybe some similar though!
Plantains are available in most supermarkets too!
Hope this helps!

MoReNiTa GuApA said:
An answer to some of your questions...

Oh yeah, Forgot to add Brugal is now being sold at some of the LCBO's in the city. ...Toronto $22 CAD, DR $ 2-4 CAD.

MG

You are correct it is a real rip off, that gut wash doesnt remotely resemble the real Brugal. Too bad they wouldnt import some Anejo or Extra Viejo

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Toronto vs. Montreal Latin communities

Fiesta Mama,

I don't think you can be that Dominican specific in Toronto. The TO Latin community is very diverse. You can't compare the two cities. If you want to know more details in terms of the differences send me a PM. In the mean time familiarize yourself with this website torontohispano.com. It will give you great orientation as to where everything is i.e. monthly events, restaurants, stores, salons for the whole Latin community. If not just go to Montreal for a weekend and check it out. You will see what I mean.

All for now.

LDG.

Last edited:

debs

Jun 10, 2002
The Dominican Baseball League plays at the park on Lawrence at Keele. The name of the park escapes me right now. The 2005 season begins May 28th, but the guys are already practicing on Sunday (possibly Saturday as well?) afternoons.

If you're looking for a club with a Dominican vibe, Las Brisas on a Sunday night is the way to go. In the summertime I always feel like I'm back in the DR when I am there. Last I heard, the guys will be going back to Brisas after the games on Sunday, so things should be back to normal this year.

MoReNiTa GuApA

Oct 8, 2004
Ha!

debs said:
The Dominican Baseball League plays at the park on Lawrence at Keele. The name of the park escapes me right now.

Not anymore.....They lost that one for drinking in the park last season. LOL They then moved to the one on finch.