Help from Richmond, VA to RD

Couillard

May 10, 2005
Hello,

I live Richmond, Virginia USA. I am trying to figure out the least expensive way to travel to the dominican. Richmond itself can be quite costly to fly to the Dominican... well I prefer to fly into the puerto plata area. I usally try to find flights out of Washington, from Reagan or Dulles.

I have been looking at prices that last couple of days and they really seem quite expensive. The best prices I have seen really end up being some sort of package with a resort. I don't mind staying at a resort, but do have other options that I can do in the Puerto Plata area.

I recently saw that Jet Blue flys into Santiago for $75 one way... looking at the small print there seems to be many taxes and other things not added into that price. Has anyone flown Jet Blue, can you give me an idea of the price? I would look into maybe a quick jumper up to NYC to take that flight, not sure in the long run if it makes that much of a difference??

Also I know that Air Tram flys out of Richmond to Ft. Myers Florida for only $59. Didn't know if there are any good prices or even airlines going to RD form there? Any ideas?

Thanks if you can help. Don't mind paying a higher price once in awhile, but would like to visit RD much more often, without it costing me an arm and a leg.

Tony
Richmond, VA

andyt

May 28, 2003
Options find other airports

Have you tried www.sidestep.com ? They have an option that will check other nearby airports. I am moving to the D.C. area and it looks like there are direct flights out of Baltimore to the DR. As for Jetblue if you select the flights the website will tell you the total cost including taxes.

Couillard

May 10, 2005
andyt said:
Have you tried www.sidestep.com ? They have an option that will check other nearby airports. I am moving to the D.C. area and it looks like there are direct flights out of Baltimore to the DR. As for Jetblue if you select the flights the website will tell you the total cost including taxes.

Thanks for the info, I will be check it out. ;)

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I live in Central Virginia,

so I know what you're dealing with. Until last fall, I could count on getting a good fare to POP in low tourist season out of either DC or Raleigh. I haven't seen one since last Spring. There are no direct flights to the North coast originating anywhere in the mid-Atlantic coast area. All connect through Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, NY, or Newark. Currently no good rates on connecting flights either. Right now you can get a good rate (under $400 with taxes and fees) from DC to SDQ. Also from Baltimore to La Romana. Flights to POP are $600 plus.

Any round trip flight from the US to the DR will have over $100 in taxes and fees, regardless of the airline.

Couillard

May 10, 2005
sweetdbt said:
so I know what you're dealing with. Until last fall, I could count on getting a good fare to POP in low tourist season out of either DC or Raleigh. I haven't seen one since last Spring. There are no direct flights to the North coast originating anywhere in the mid-Atlantic coast area. All connect through Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, NY, or Newark. Currently no good rates on connecting flights either. Right now you can get a good rate (under $400 with taxes and fees) from DC to SDQ. Also from Baltimore to La Romana. Flights to POP are $600 plus.

Any round trip flight from the US to the DR will have over $100 in taxes and fees, regardless of the airline.

Right now the best deal I have seen if from the Coral Marion in Puerto Plata, you can get 7 days, all incluesive with airfare for $690. I have stayed at the Coral before its very nice. In the past I have found that sometimes the cheapest way is with a hotel package.. I have a friend there that can rent me a small apartment for around $20 a day in Cofressi, think the apartments are called the Tropical Suites (Or villas).. again I have stayed there before when I find cheaper Airlines. Anyway, thanks for all the help, I will continue to look.

Anthony

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Couillard said:
Right now the best deal I have seen if from the Coral Marion in Puerto Plata, you can get 7 days, all incluesive with airfare for $690. I have stayed at the Coral before its very nice. In the past I have found that sometimes the cheapest way is with a hotel package.. I have a friend there that can rent me a small apartment for around $20 a day in Cofressi, think the apartments are called the Tropical Suites (Or villas).. again I have stayed there before when I find cheaper Airlines. Anyway, thanks for all the help, I will continue to look.

Anthony

Is that 7 day package price flying out of DC? I've never stayed at an AI, but would consider it for the right price, and $690 sounds pretty good to me. I've also heard good things about the Coral Marion.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Couillard said:
Hello,

I live Richmond, Virginia USA. I am trying to figure out the least expensive way to travel to the dominican. Richmond itself can be quite costly to fly to the Dominican... well I prefer to fly into the puerto plata area. I usally try to find flights out of Washington, from Reagan or Dulles.

Any ideas?
Here's an idea - quit calling it the Dominican. Use Expedia or Travelocity and since you know how far you will drive to an airport, whether Washington or NYC or whatever start with that or simply ask at a travel agency for packages with either a charter from where you live or somewhere nearby. This is not rocket science.

anyonebut

Apr 24, 2002
Here is an idea!!!

Try flying out of BWI- Baltimore. Apple vacations have great deals that include airfare on their USA3000 planes. They are charters but nice charters. The planes are all new with movies etc. We booked Villas Bavaro for two people for total including fees and taxes $1730. That is pretty good. I have friends who loved the place and I stayed at another resort on its beach which is awesome. It might be worth staying in a hotel in the Linthicum MD. area the night before your flight. Try a red roof inn, motel 6 etc. Your airport parking will be about $50 for the week in long term parking. You will still come out with a vacation under $2000 for two people. My sister lives in Richmond. If we travel together, she would have to come here to Baltimore. It is only maybe 2 1/2 to 3 hours out.

Ben

Feb 2, 2004
Spirit Air to SDQ

From DC to Santo Domingo Spirit Air is $288 R/T (with taxes & fees it comes to just over $400). www/spiritair.com

Depending on the dates it could cost a bit more or less. I haven't seen any great deals to the north coast.