getting from DC to Cabarete cheap

alliebrian

May 11, 2005
Hi,

Am planning my first trip to DR next April and will be staying in Cabarete. I was told to fly into POP but the fares going there seem exorbitant. does anyone know of a cheap way to fly there or would it make more sense to go into Santiago and then hire a driver (and how would I do that). Also, how bad is the drive from Santiago to Cabarete? Any tips you can give will be appreciated!

Karen

jerryme

Feb 1, 2004
If your checking online prices for tickets, they seem to have gone up alot in the last few weeks. Someone told me they will go down after the holiday. I would fly to NYC then into POP. That would probably be cheapest.

The road from Santiago to Cabarete is about 1.5 hours of winding mountain potholes.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
jerryme said:
The road from Santiago to Cabarete is about 1.5 hours of winding mountain potholes.

There are three roads from Santiago to Cabarete. One is through Moca and the road is relatively good through the mountains.

The one with winding mountain potholes defnitely needs a Dominican Driver.

The other one through the tunnel and Puerto Plata is acceptable in spots.

If you decide to fly into Santiago, arrange for a driver or go to Cabarete by bus. It will save a lot of frazzled nerves.

Morena76

May 10, 2005
Try JFK...

I live close to DC and just returned from Playa Cofresi, near Puerto Plata, the other day. I flew from JFK to Santiago on jetBlue and then took a cab from the airport to the resort for $70 USD. Maybe I'm biased because my mom works for JB but that was the cheapest route route for me. Flights from Dulles or National seemed to be overpriced.

andyt

May 28, 2003
The bus

The bus to Caberate is cheap. You can take the taxi to caribbe tours and then the bus to Caberate. You need to decide if you want the convience of a cab or waiting in Santiago for the bus. Have you checked with your Hotel if they will
pick you up? They may not go to Santiago but you could save a few dollars if they met in Puerto plata

Jun 5, 2004
American trhough MIA or JFK Delta through JFK JetBlue through JFK or Continental through EWR are basiclly your only choices. I would guess that Delta or JetBlue are the cheapest. Dont go near Puerto Plata they will charge you like if you were flying out of this world. STI is your best choice.