Bahia de las Aguilas

jannl

Jan 25, 2004
Since the new government I read all the writings about the development of Bahia de las Aguilas.
In my opinion it is or a dream that never can be reality or there is some talk of personal (financial) interest of people concerned or some individuals want to have a kind of eternal memorial.
Why a dream? The minister of tourism maintains always the statement that in 2006 3.500 hotelrooms will be in operation. If he can count it is more or less only one year to construct these hotels. And that in a region at this moment of waste land. And what about infrastructure as water, electricity, airport, food etc? Only if there can be found a magic wand it might be possible but as we all know miracles are rare even in the DR.
So my advice wil be concentrate on other things and try other things to stimulate the development of this region.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well, the W.T.O. (World Tourist Organization

Came out against any hotels in that particular region.
Instead, they suggested the development of small and medium sized facilities in the town of Pedernales. Including land areas within each hotel that would exceed the size of the buildings propers and preserve the native flora and fauna, as a type of reserve.

Before this, other tourism experts have opined that tourism based on sun,sand and sea was pretty much at its limits and now the thing to do would be to go into eco-tourism, cultural tourism, and other sustainable varieties of tourism.

A case in point. Tomorrow the Fiesta de los Congos " begins in Villa Mella. A 93 year gentleman whose name is P?o Brazoban is the leader of the "cofrad?a" that heads up these ancient celebrations. There are deep African roots here as well as medieval Spanish Christian roots. Ironically, some a$$hole in the Santo Domingo municipal government (PRD, I think) ordered the hundred year old mahogany trees in the park to be cut down, just where the fiesta takes lace during the day. (Maybe he needed new furniture??)

There is no national campaign to move students and teachers to witness this specticle, and most of the visitors are foreigners who dare to visit one of the more depressed areas of Santo Domingo to see something really unique..And the place has been singled out by UNESCO and one of humanity's important places!!

Go figure!

HB:(:(

jannl

Jan 25, 2004
Hillbilly said:
Came out against any hotels in that particular region.
Instead, they suggested the development of small and medium sized facilities in the town of Pedernales. Including land areas within each hotel that would exceed the size of the buildings propers and preserve the native flora and fauna, as a type of reserve.

Before this, other tourism experts have opined that tourism based on sun,sand and sea was pretty much at its limits and now the thing to do would be to go into eco-tourism, cultural tourism, and other sustainable varieties of tourism.

A case in point. Tomorrow the Fiesta de los Congos " begins in Villa Mella. A 93 year gentleman whose name is P?o Brazoban is the leader of the "cofrad?a" that heads up these ancient celebrations. There are deep African roots here as well as medieval Spanish Christian roots. Ironically, some a$$hole in the Santo Domingo municipal government (PRD, I think) ordered the hundred year old mahogany trees in the park to be cut down, just where the fiesta takes lace during the day. (Maybe he needed new furniture??)

There is no national campaign to move students and teachers to witness this specticle, and most of the visitors are foreigners who dare to visit one of the more depressed areas of Santo Domingo to see something really unique..And the place has been singled out by UNESCO and one of humanity's important places!!

Go figure!

HB:(:(

What you said about the mahogany trees did me remeber the year 1999. Then (also Bahia de las Aguilas) was offered a piece of land of 8 km2 at a price of US$ 8 per m2! Contact persons were army officers. I adviced a client of my not to do business, because it was and is a protected area. The man was offered a video of the area and because I know the region very well I also told my clinet that the video was not reliable. I will not suggest anything but it is suspicious that under this government there is a revival of old plans.
May be more a$$holes?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Pu

For those of you who have vested interests in the development of Bah?a de Las Aguilas, I hate to see you get caught between a rock and a hard place ( especially Mr Felucho Jim?nez, our flamboyant Minister of Tourism), but there's absolutely no chance anyone of us will find anything meaningfull touristwise occurring there in our life times (or during the next 24000 years...for that matter), and although reasons are environmental, the only endangered species concerned is our own (homo sapiens sapiens, and not too sapiens)...

jannl

Jan 25, 2004
Dear Mirador,

May be you are angry that I was dealing with someone who was interested in Bahia de Las Aguilas but if you read my thread good you will see that:
1. I said to look for other possibilities to develop the region
2. I adviced my client not to invest there because of the protected situation