Playa Dorada Questions

OttawaTom

Dec 15, 2002
I've read a few times here on the board that "locals" are allowed into the Playa Dorada complex.

If that's the case:

Why are there guarded gates at both entrances?

Are the guards at the main entrance Politur?

Why do I see hotel employees walking from the hotels all the way out past the gates to catch a ride with someone?

Tom

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
OttawaTom said:
I've read a few times here on the board that "locals" are allowed into the Playa Dorada complex.

If that's the case:

Why are there guarded gates at both entrances?

Are the guards at the main entrance Politur?

Why do I see hotel employees walking from the hotels all the way out past the gates to catch a ride with someone?

Tom

Locals are allowed inside Playa Dorada. It is a public beach. There is also a major shopping center within. The guards may restrict some admissions, though.

There is a Politur station at the entrance to Playa Dorada.

The employees walk out to catch a ride because public transport is not allowed inside the complex. They need to go outside to catch their public transport vehicle.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Addition: the politur/guards at the 2 gates of Playa Dorada are most there to check that there is no motoconchos etc that enter to drive.
They also work to prevent any problems.. but it is always very calm there.

Playa Dorada also have their own taxi company, the only one allowed to pick up people from the area. They are more than expensive, so the best is to walk up pass the main gate and grab a taxi from there.

Private cars are allowed though.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
carina said:
Addition: the politur/guards at the 2 gates of Playa Dorada are most there to check that there is no motoconchos etc that enter to drive.
They also work to prevent any problems.. but it is always very calm there.

Playa Dorada also have their own taxi company, the only one allowed to pick up people from the area. They are more than expensive, so the best is to walk up pass the main gate and grab a taxi from there.

Private cars are allowed though.

The tourist taxi's are nothing more than a bunch of thieves. When ever possible taks public transportation and save yourself 60% or more.

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Employees-

Are no longer allowed to ride their scooters into the complex. They have to park 'em at one of the service garages, like the one along hole #4. Sucks.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Jimmydr said:
The tourist taxi's are nothing more than a bunch of thieves. When ever possible taks public transportation and save yourself 60% or more.
As with almost everything, the price is very negotiable.

The list prices are outrageous but I never have a problem finding one for less than half the listed price.

I typically pay 600 pesos for 3 hours or so in Puerto Plata and 800 for Sosua.
I am prepared to walk outside of Playa Dorada but it is rarely necessary.
I just ask them if they want to continue sitting around hoping some uninformed newbie (actually, I usually say stupid gringo or idiot) might come by some day or do they want to make some money.
I always buy them some drinks and they all want to see me manana.
I like to use the same driver many times and I get very good flat rates which is great because the "thieves" are the ones who ask for an arm and a leg just because it is late at night.
Some of them want more for a 15 minute ride than I pay for a few hours.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Jimmydr said:

Couldn?t agree more! But also the taxi company itself "Playa Dorada Taxi" charges way more than the other taxi companies that are not allowed to pick up clients inside the area (just drop off ), it is not just the drivers adding.
Last I heard yesterday 2 young tourists were offered a taxi ride from PD to the city for the amount of 2000 pesos. That is more than sick! :bandit:

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Malibook said:
As with almost everything, the price is very negotiable.

The list prices are outrageous but I never have a problem finding one for less than half the listed price.

I typically pay 600 pesos for 3 hours or so in Puerto Plata and 800 for Sosua.
I am prepared to walk outside of Playa Dorada but it is rarely necessary.
I just ask them if they want to continue sitting around hoping some uninformed newbie (actually, I usually say stupid gringo or idiot) might come by some day or do they want to make some money.
I always buy them some drinks and they all want to see me manana.
I like to use the same driver many times and I get very good flat rates which is great because the "thieves" are the ones who ask for an arm and a leg just because it is late at night.
Some of them want more for a 15 minute ride than I pay for a few hours.

The issue is that it doesn?t matter if one or two or three tourists can manage to get a better price, or want to buy the drivers a drink.
The whole taxi system from Playa Dorada has a smelly structure and the businesses in the city suffer from that in the long run.. It?s not worth it to a rather big % of the tourists to go downtown for a beer or a walk..
Yet the latest brochure that Playa Dorada itself has produced encourages tourists to do the walk in the Victorian part of Puerto Plata, to visit the bars and restaurants in the city for the "True Dominican" feeling, go on your own up in the cable car etc etc etc...

Many tourists don?t do any of this when they see they have to start dealing with a driver first... they get scared of what will come next and end up staying at their resorts..

So, in the end the best thing would be if the drivers were to sit there all day and night without one single passenger.
That?s my opinion. ;)

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
I agree with you Carina.
They could sit there forever without a single fare for all I care.
I just try to make the best of a ridiculous situation but I don't expect to change the system.

I feel the same way about the airport crooks and the late-night opportunists.

I think the answer is simple.
Anybody who wants a license to drive a taxi must have a certified meter and they must be willing to use it or they lose the license.
Of course, flat rates would still be negotiable.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Malibook said:
I agree with you Carina.
They could sit there forever without a single fare for all I care.
I just try to make the best of a ridiculous situation but I don't expect to change the system.

I feel the same way about the airport crooks and the late-night opportunists.

I think the answer is simple.
Anybody who wants a license to drive a taxi must have a certified meter and they must be willing to use it or they lose the license.
Of course, flat rates would still be negotiable.

Spot on! Of course you are right!
There is no chance it is possible to promote PD the way the association of Playa Dorada are doing right now ( It is a really great 8 by 11 in the finest paper book/brochure ), and expect the tourists to start arguing to get a taxi and still have their mood up!
I understand that tourists can pay a little more without even thinking it is expensive, but there are limits!
And looking at the "avarage" tourist that visits Playa Dorada, by the associations own statistics, it is families with 1 - 2 children, or couples.
Is this a good way for this "typical tourist group" then to start their visit to
lets say Puerto Plata? First an argument and dealing with a taxi driver that most surely speaks a little English - at least to know the price he wants -
Secondly, the family will feel insecure how to go back, so they will order him to pick them up as well.
That would mean only the taxi would be around 4000 pesos!
Then they have a few minutes or should I say seconds and a blue shirted guide will attack them at Central Park.
It is a good thing that the guides are licenced and easy to identify, but they are everything but smooth, it happens they mention how much they want for tips before the "typical tourist family" even realized they have booked him!

I know I sound more than sarcastic now, but my point is to blow it up a little, in the hope that people involved in the association of PD would understand how everything is tied together. Its not just separate pieces, its all a puzzle in tourism as well.

And we all want tourists to love this island as much as the island actually deserves! Just a matter of a better structure! ;)

Last edited: