From Santiago to Samana

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Are there any scheduled flights from Santiago to Samana? I want to go to Los Haitises National Park in July but don't want to drive. :nervous:

Zeus (primus inter pares)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yes, but there is no place to land!

Why not take the bus?

I'll bet you didn't know that you can't drive to the Los Haiteses National Park? You have to go by boat!! And the boat leaves from the Saman? dock in the morning!

So , go to Saman?, relax, sleep someplace and get down to the docks early for the ride across the bay....Piece of cake, or should I say bizcocho??

HB:p:p:p

The First Hillbilly!! LOL!

dropitlikeithot

Jun 22, 2005
Hillbilly said:
Why not take the bus?

I'll bet you didn't know that you can't drive to the Los Haiteses National Park? You have to go by boat!! And the boat leaves from the Saman? dock in the morning!

So , go to Saman?, relax, sleep someplace and get down to the docks early for the ride across the bay....Piece of cake, or should I say bizcocho??

i have driven already to samana from santiago... but now
i would like to know what flights are avail to samana from sti. thnx.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Good work!

However dropitlikeithot, I think that the only flights out of Arroyo Barril are charters. You'd probably have to go over there and ask when there are some flights scheduled to come in and see if you can pick up a ride to Santiago.

And you should know that there are at least four buses per day that leave Saman? for Santiago direct. One heck of a lot cheaper!.

HB :D:D:D

dropitlikeithot

Jun 22, 2005
Hillbilly said:
However dropitlikeithot, I think that the only flights out of Arroyo Barril are charters. You'd probably have to go over there and ask when there are some flights scheduled to come in and see if you can pick up a ride to Santiago.

And you should know that there are at least four buses per day that leave Saman? for Santiago direct. One heck of a lot cheaper!.

thnx HB

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Fly!!

The bus is fine if you have all the time in the world....FLY into Las Terrenas airport via AERO Domca. It's about 40US and under a half hour. Transportation is available from there.Buses and taxis will break you and will will lose a day combined for both ways.....Locals and backpackers take the bus, tourists.....they FLY
Hillbilly said:
Why not take the bus?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Two problems with that

One is that you have to pay a lot of money to fly to the Saman? peninsula, plus the fact that Las Terrenas is on the North side of the peninsula and Samana is on the South side onf the peninsula and about an hour's drive from Las Terrenas. I wonder how much that taxi ride would be.

Second is that the bus from Santiago is only about RD$150 or so, takes just three hours or so and can get you to the dock early enough to get a ride to Los Haitises....if you take the earliest bus.

Plus Saman? is a great place to spend a night or two....

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Which company provides service betwen STI and Samana? How would I go about getting their schedule? I am trying to decide between a quick weekend trip to Samana or Jarabacoa and I will be staying in STI.

Hillbilly said:
One is that you have to pay a lot of money to fly to the Saman? peninsula, plus the fact that Las Terrenas is on the North side of the peninsula and Samana is on the South side onf the peninsula and about an hour's drive from Las Terrenas. I wonder how much that taxi ride would be.

Second is that the bus from Santiago is only about RD$150 or so, takes just three hours or so and can get you to the dock early enough to get a ride to Los Haitises....if you take the earliest bus.

Plus Saman? is a great place to spend a night or two....

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
rafael said:
Which company provides service betwen STI and Samana? How would I go about getting their schedule? I am trying to decide between a quick weekend trip to Samana or Jarabacoa and I will be staying in STI.
It is only about40US from STI to Las Terrenas(it was 60 from SDQ)
Pick-up trucks run between the Texaco station in Sanchez and Las Terrenas 2 times every hour for 60RD(as of last Mar.) You would have to get from Sanchez to Samana, about 50km.I am not sure on public transportation for this section of Rt5 but it is the main drag...the only drag.Sooooo40plus 2...a better deal than the bus, and half the time.
Fly Aero Domca

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Is it just me

or do these 2 posts contradict each other?

ggn420 said:
The bus is fine if you have all the time in the world....FLY into Las Terrenas airport via AERO Domca. It's about 40US and under a half hour. Transportation is available from there.Buses and taxis will break you and will will lose a day combined for both ways.....Locals and backpackers take the bus, tourists.....they FLY

It is only about40US from STI to Las Terrenas(it was 60 from SDQ)
Pick-up trucks run between the Texaco station in Sanchez and Las Terrenas 2 times every hour for 60RD(as of last Mar.) You would have to get from Sanchez to Samana, about 50km.I am not sure on public transportation for this section of Rt5 but it is the main drag...the only drag.Sooooo40plus 2...a better deal than the bus, and half the time.
Fly Aero Domca

Tourists don't take the bus, but they do fly to a place on the other side of the Samana peninsula from where they want to go, then hire a cab from the El Portillo airport to Las Terrenas, catch a ride across a trecherous mountain road on the back of a pickup truck and flag down a gua gua for another 45 minute ride. Spend 10 times as much, load and unload luggage 3 extra times, risk their neck, and (maybe) get there an hour sooner.

No thank you! I'll risk being called a backpacker and take the 3 hour air conditioned bus ride directly to Samana for 5 bucks!

Last edited:

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
sweetdbt said:
or do these 2 posts contradict each other?

Tourists don't take the bus, but they do fly to a place on the other side of the Samana peninsula from where they want to go, then hire a cab from the El Portillo airport to Las Terrenas, catch a ride across a trecherous mountain road on the back of a pickup truck and flag down a gua gua for another 45 minute ride. Spend 10 times as much, load and unload luggage 3 extra times, risk their neck, and (maybe) get there an hour sooner.

No thank you! I'll risk being called a backpacker and take the 3 hour air conditioned bus ride directly to Samana for 5 bucks!
On the contrary...read them again, they say the same thing. I am comparing the bus versus flying. You bus it, I'll fly. I was going to Punta Bonita sooooo it didn't envolve any ground transportation other than the ride from the airport to the hotel.Hummmmmmm maybe I should have taken a bus to Samana and try and work my way up north, 2 days later. It's all just a matter of what floats your boat, and how much money you want to spend.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I guess the contradiction

I was referring to was not so much between the first and second post as it was throughout both. You make a statement that buses are for backpackers and locals. I don't agree, since lots of tourists (and expats) as well as budget travelers and locals, ride the late-model, well maintained, air conditioned buses of Caribe and Metro tours. You then suggest a route that involves riding on the back of a pickup truck and flagging down a gua gua. Who does this? Backpackers and locals come to mind, and they do it because it's what they can afford. But I guess the fact that it was preceded by a flight makes it convenient?

There are some trips within the DR which IMHO ARE best done by plane. For example, for $90 each way, I would probably pay for a flight if I wanted to go from Puerto Plata to Punta Cana. The trip by ground is just too long. To fly from Santiago to El Portillo in order to get to Samana is trying to fit a round peg into a square hole. But if money is no object and saving about 90 minutes each way is worth an extra $140 or so (round trip) , you could hire a cab directly from the airport to Samana by the new road. To backtrack through las Terrenas to Sanchez makes no sense whatsoever if convenience and time are important to you as you say.

Round trip by plane and cab - about 90 min each way for about $150
By bus - 3 hours each way for $10 total

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
sweetdbt said:
I was referring to was not so much between the first and second post as it was throughout both. You make a statement that buses are for backpackers and locals. I don't agree, since lots of tourists (and expats) as well as budget travelers and locals, ride the late-model, well maintained, air conditioned buses of Caribe and Metro tours. You then suggest a route that involves riding on the back of a pickup truck and flagging down a gua gua. Who does this? Backpackers and locals come to mind, and they do it because it's what they can afford. But I guess the fact that it was preceded by a flight makes it convenient?

There are some trips within the DR which IMHO ARE best done by plane. For example, for $90 each way, I would probably pay for a flight if I wanted to go from Puerto Plata to Punta Cana. The trip by ground is just too long. To fly from Santiago to El Portillo in order to get to Samana is trying to fit a round peg into a square hole. But if money is no object and saving about 90 minutes each way is worth an extra $140 or so (round trip) , you could hire a cab directly from the airport to Samana by the new road. To backtrack through las Terrenas to Sanchez makes no sense whatsoever if convenience and time are important to you as you say.

Round trip by plane and cab - about 90 min each way for about $150
By bus - 3 hours each way for $10 total
What I am saying is that I prefere flying to Las Terrenas rather than the bus. I am not going to Samana. If you are, and fly into the airport, there is no other way than via Sanchez. I have done it BOTH ways, last in March. I live part of the year in the DR and own property here, I have traveled AL over, different ways, and am suggesting what I thought to be better. I guess it's "each to their own" and yes backpackers ARE attracted to the buses....there cheeper, and no, money is no object, that's why I fly. Just curious, have you ever been to Samana or Las Terrenas??

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I've been to both.

Several times to Samana. I drove. If I didn't have a car and were going from Santiago to Las Terrenas, I would consider the plane as well. Buses don't go to LT, and the El Portillo airport is close. The OP wants to go to Samana, which is why I was presenting options for that trip.

FYI, there is a new road which cuts through the mountains. You catch it East of El Portillo, and it takes you to the North coast highway just a kick or 2 West of Samana. Not only a lot more direct, but a MUCH better road than the one from Sanchez to Las Terrenas! Every bit as scenic too.

I've had people call me cheap when I travel because I shop for value in things like hotel rooms and rent an economy car instead of an SUV. I've used the buses a couple of times, and found them to be comfortable and cheap. In deciding how to get from point A to point B, there are a few factors to consider:

Time
Cost
Safety
Convenience
Comfort

I usually rent a car and drive in the DR. It's probably not the cheapest way to get around, but I like the convenience and flexibility of being able to set my own schedule. After multiple trips, I now also feel safer behind the wheel than with someone else driving.

For the proposed trip from Santiago to Samana, I'd have to rate the bus over the flight and taxi for cost, convenience, safety and comfort. IMHO the flight would not save enough time to outweigh these. As I said before, POP to Punta Cana, or Santiago to Las Terrenas would be another matter.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
sweetdbt said:
Several times to Samana. I drove. If I didn't have a car and were going from Santiago to Las Terrenas, I would consider the plane as well. Buses don't go to LT, and the El Portillo airport is close. The OP wants to go to Samana, which is why I was presenting options for that trip.

FYI, there is a new road which cuts through the mountains. You catch it East of El Portillo, and it takes you to the North coast highway just a kick or 2 West of Samana. Not only a lot more direct, but a MUCH better road than the one from Sanchez to Las Terrenas! Every bit as scenic too.

I've had people call me cheap when I travel because I shop for value in things like hotel rooms and rent an economy car instead of an SUV. I've used the buses a couple of times, and found them to be comfortable and cheap. In deciding how to get from point A to point B, there are a few factors to consider:

Time
Cost
Safety
Convenience
Comfort

I usually rent a car and drive in the DR. It's probably not the cheapest way to get around, but I like the convenience and flexibility of being able to set my own schedule. After multiple trips, I now also feel safer behind the wheel than with someone else driving.

For the proposed trip from Santiago to Samana, I'd have to rate the bus over the flight and taxi for cost, convenience, safety and comfort. IMHO the flight would not save enough time to outweigh these. As I said before, POP to Punta Cana, or Santiago to Las Terrenas would be another matter.
Ahhhhh, then you too are seasoned.I guess i just like the easy way. We do some work in STI sooo it's off to Samana area or PC. Traveling here in the DR gets old fast, more so in the interior. I do agree with your last, although it will be a while yet till I get behind the wheel. I think, overall, that flying intercountry via local carriers is cheap, fast, and allows people to see more than one part of the country in their stay. This is how I started several years ago, getting out of the city, or AI's to explore the other areas.
Thanks for the info on the NEW road, it will be helpfull next trip...

davidypatri26

Jul 8, 2005
How about driving from La Romana to Samana?

sweetdbt said:

Time
Cost
Safety
Convenience
Comfort

If I rent a car, what would be the easiest way to get to Samana?

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
Santiago to Samana

I am spending a Week in Las Terrenas we are using a relative's car. So from Santiago to Laterrenas is aprox hrs.. Anyone knows how long from Driving back from Las Terrenas to Santigao Rodriguez is?

and does anyone knows How far is from Las Terrenas to Cayo Levantado in Las Galeras??

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
re the second question, Cayo Levantado isn't in Las Galeras. It is reached by boat from the port at Samana town. So calculate driving time from Las Terrenas to Samana town only.

Sep 19, 2005
I drove from samana to santiago, and while i cant remember exactly how long it was long..at least 2.5 hours i would think, maybe 2 if you dont care about wrecking the vehicle....I seriously doubt that a BUS could do it in 3 hours... the roads are poor from SFdMacoris ro santiago, and SFde Macoris was crowded when i passed through on a sat afternoon......isnt there an airport on the southern side of the Samana Penninsula???? I find it hard to believe the flight from santiago to samana is only $40 US.. thats awful cheap for a plane ride!!!!!........bob