Dominican Citizenship

kiskeyanoking

Jul 2, 2005
I'm a male and Dominican, but was born in Philadelphia as well as my immediate family. I wanted to live in D.R. and acquire citizenship. How to i take the legal steps before i get there, such as applying for a visa, residence, the good conduct from the police? Is there any site or law books where i can know the laws inside out? I once belived it would be easy to get my citizenship back since i didnt have stds, a criminal record, etc.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I once belived it would be easy to get my citizenship back

Are you suggesting you once held dual citizenship? Since the 1994 Constitution dual and/or multiple citizenships are allowed in the DR. You will have no problem claiming your DR citizenship back.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
kiskeyanoking said:
I'm a male and Dominican, but was born in Philadelphia
If you are the son of a Dominican father or mother, you have the right to acquire to acquire Dominican citizenship by virtue of Article 11 of the Constitution and Article 26 of Law 1683 of 1948. The steps to be taken are the following:

1. Petition to the Minister of Interior.

2. Affidavit prepared by a Notary Public in which the applicant states his wish to apply for Dominican citizenship.

3. Birth certificate of the applicant, authenticated at a Dominican Consulate and translated into Spanish by an official translator.

4. Birth certificate of the applicant?s Dominican parent.

5. 4 pictures, 2 x 2 inches.

6. Application and newspaper fees.

kiskeyanoking

Jul 2, 2005
Is it easier to recieve citizenship having bought a house? Also, My grand father was born in D.R., but i stated that my i and my parents were born in Philadelphia, would that cause a problem or would i haft to start from scratch and be treat like a foreigner by my own people?!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
kiskeyanoking said:
I wouldnt be obligated to loose my american status?

Absolutely never ever never. ;) The US allows you to have duel, if you indeed are now an American Citizen you cannot lose that. EVER!!!

jsk173

Feb 16, 2005
Anna Coniglio said:
Absolutely never ever never. ;) The US allows you to have duel, if you indeed are now an American Citizen you cannot lose that. EVER!!!

This is not true. It is very easy to jeopardize one's U.S. citizenship. Careful procedures need to be followed. The original poster should read the U.S. State Dept. web site regarding dual citizenships and pledging allegiance to foreign countries.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
uuuuuuu watch out or the boogie man will come get you. :rolleyes:

Be informed

Key word is renounce. You would literally have to renounce your US citizenship in order to lose it.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

However, dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country. They are required to obey the laws of both countries. Either country has the right to enforce its laws, particularly if the person later travels there.Most U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport does not endanger U.S. citizenship.Most countries permit a person to renounce or otherwise lose citizenship.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
jsk173 said:
This is not true. It is very easy to jeopardize one's U.S. citizenship. Careful procedures need to be followed. The original poster should read the U.S. State Dept. web site regarding dual citizenships and pledging allegiance to foreign countries.

Nonsense, really. There are risks of having dual for example obligatory miltary service, or being treated under local law without the advantage of being an extranjero. Some countries, like Germany don't allow it and tell you to renounce your existing when you apply for theirs but the USA allows it routinely. In a lot of cases you have it by birth or through parents and the USA (or Canada) don't expect you to renounce what you already have, if you even can, when you get US/Can. citizenship through naturalization.

kiskeyanoking

Jul 2, 2005
Escott said:
His parents are NOT born in the DR. They are Americans. He will have to do it the GRINGO way.

Escott

:cry: I figured that would be the case. Do you know the best way to recieve citizenship in the DR. I'm going to have to live and work here, and No country would allow you to do so if youre an alien. I want to recieve the same benefits and be treat like the rest of my people instead of outcasted.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
kiskeyanoking said:
:cry: I figured that would be the case. Do you know the best way to recieve citizenship in the DR. I'm going to have to live and work here, and No country would allow you to do so if youre an alien. I want to recieve the same benefits and be treat like the rest of my people instead of outcasted.
You need to apply for temp residency. 800-1500 depending on which attorney you use. After 1 year you apply for permanent 800-1500 again depending on the attorney you use. Wait I think 2 years and 1000-1500 again depending on which attorney you use. Go to the interview and wait, wait, wait and then wait some more.

Good luck,
Escott

kiskeyanoking

Jul 2, 2005
Ok, so if i start from ground one and apply for my Temp residency and Permanent residency , could i do it in Philly or would i haft to go to D.C. or Santo Domingo? Are there any fees i pay upon submitting the forms?

jsk173

Feb 16, 2005
ricktoronto said:
Nonsense, really. There are risks of having dual for example obligatory miltary service, or being treated under local law without the advantage of being an extranjero. Some countries, like Germany don't allow it and tell you to renounce your existing when you apply for theirs but the USA allows it routinely. In a lot of cases you have it by birth or through parents and the USA (or Canada) don't expect you to renounce what you already have, if you even can, when you get US/Can. citizenship through naturalization.

There is a big difference between having dual citizenship by birth and actively seeking out a second citizenship. I couldn't really care less what people do, but the lady who said you can "never, never, never" lose your U.S. citizenship could not be more wrong. The State Dept. web site is clear about that. Dual U.S./D.R. citizenship might be common, but the idea that people can just rack up citizenship papers without worrying about jeopardizing U.S. status is wrong and bad advice. Caveat emptor.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
jsk173 said:
There is a big difference between having dual citizenship by birth and actively seeking out a second citizenship. I couldn't really care less what people do, but the lady who said you can "never, never, never" lose your U.S. citizenship could not be more wrong. The State Dept. web site is clear about that. Dual U.S./D.R. citizenship might be common, but the idea that people can just rack up citizenship papers without worrying about jeopardizing U.S. status is wrong and bad advice. Caveat emptor.
The US won't even let you renounce citizenship. They want your money for taxes all the way down the road!

Escott

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There was a law passed about ten years ago in the U.S. that states if you want to renounce your U.S. citizenship and the U.S. determines that this is to avoid taxes, you must wait ten years before you can get away from the clutches of the IRS. The benchmark is either earning more than 100K per year or net worth of 500K.

This law was passed because people with money are tired of giving 40 percent or more to the U.S. Also, people are not too happy paying 55 percent to the U.S. in inheritance taxes.

Do not worry. You will get to keep paying the IRS until you die, and then some after.

kiskeyanoking

Jul 2, 2005
Once i recieve some type of residency, i wont need a tourist card will i? Also, is it possible to prepare some of the paper work in philly or the Washington D.C. embassy prior to arriving in santo domingo, or does it all have to be completed in the D.R.?

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
kiskeyanoking said:
Once i recieve some type of residency, i wont need a tourist card will i? Also, is it possible to prepare some of the paper work in philly or the Washington D.C. embassy prior to arriving in santo domingo, or does it all have to be completed in the D.R.?
You will no longer have to purchase the 10$ visa with residency. You need to give the papers to a lawyer here to do the work for you.

Escott