Flying from D.R to Canada with a USA green card

TorontoBlonde

Feb 10, 2005
Hi All

I need some info about flying from Dominican Republic to Toronto Canada with a USA green card.

My boyfriend is Dominican but has been living in th states since 1999. He has a Dominican passport and a USA greencard. I have been in D.R since Feb 2005 and he has been here on vacation from the US since April 2005.

I am ready to go home to Toronto Canada and I wanted him to come with me to visit. I have been getting mixed info about him flying with me. I heard that he can not go straight from D.R (pop) to Toronto Canada (yyz) that he has to go back to the US to check in through customs so that they know he has entered back into the US then he can catch a flight from US to Canada. Also if this info in correct does he have to be in the US for a certain amount of time before he can leave to Canada????

Any info or any websites with accurate info would be very helpful

Toronto Blonde

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
I stand corrected if you find out different but a US green card has no standing AFAIK in Canada. He would, I think, need a visa just like any Dominican - although he might find it easier to get than many others.

Not, I'm sure what you want to hear.

Gregg

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I agree

FireGuy said:
I stand corrected if you find out different but a US green card has no standing AFAIK in Canada. He would, I think, need a visa just like any Dominican - although he might find it easier to get than many others.

Gregg
He needs a visa.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Hold on maybe not

Visitor's visa exemptions

persons lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence who are in possession of their alien registration card (Green card) or can provide other evidence of permanent residence.

Read here

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.html

I'd double check though if I was you and check with the airline to see they they would allow him to board from the DR.

RevenueCanada

Apr 13, 2005
My wife is Dominican and holds a Green Card. Last year we drove from the US to Canada (Niagara Falls). She had no visa, only her Dominican Passport and her US Green Card...I called the Canadian Consulate before we went to be sure...

Call the Canadian Consulate.

RevenueCanada

Apr 13, 2005
VISITOR VISA EXEMPTIONS
persons lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence who are in possession of their alien registration card (Green card) or can provide other evidence of permanent residence.

From the link above...

TorontoBlonde

Feb 10, 2005
any problems?

Did you have any problems at the border when entering into Canada???

I don't know if it would be easier to fly across the border from JFK New York airport to Toronto or to take the Grey Hound bus across the border???

Toronto Blonde

RevenueCanada said:
My wife is Dominican and holds a Green Card. Last year we drove from the US to Canada (Niagara Falls). She had no visa, only her Dominican Passport and her US Green Card...I called the Canadian Consulate before we went to be sure...

Call the Canadian Consulate.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
In May 2002 I went to a bachelor party in Montreal with about 30 Dominicans and some had US permanent resident cards and could enter Canada without a visa.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
I too stand corrected.

FireGuy said:

Gregg
As I indicated it was just an opinion and I defer to the investigative powers of our Anna.

Gregg

RevenueCanada

Apr 13, 2005
TorontoBlonde said:
Did you have any problems at the border when entering into Canada???

I don't know if it would be easier to fly across the border from JFK New York airport to Toronto or to take the Grey Hound bus across the border???

Toronto Blonde

We had no problem at all. Make sure the card has not expired....

JC171

Oct 20, 2002
official word from airline

National DOMINICAN REPUBLIC (DO)
Residence U.S.A. (US) /Destination CANADA (CA)

CANADA (CA)

Passport required; or
Alien Registration Receipt Card (permanent Green Card either
form I-151 or form I-551) provided coming directly from:
- U.S.A.; or
- St. Pierre and Miquelon.

If holding Alien Registration Receipt Card:
visa not required.

So Your best option is flying from DR to USA then fly or go by land to canada