every website different.....help

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRSYCOLL

Mar 10, 2003
Okay.......I leave Monday the 11th for 10 days in Puerto Plata. ( for the 3rd time) I love the Dominican Republic....
ANYWAY.....can a local person please assuage my fears ( weather-wise) I am bringing a group of 15 people..and I am the (unofficial) tour guide.
I have been on weather.com/yahoo weather/ and the underground weather for Puerto Plata.....they all say various degrees of bad....
All I would like to know from someone that actually lives there...( and knows)...Is the weather predictable??? I mean if it is saying rain everyday..in your experience...should I start crying now??? THANX so much for anything you can tell me!!!!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Ignore all those sites!!!!! Just read DR1. We are in the know and right here. Check out the weather I do for Puerto Plata.

Now, youwill have rain, thunderstorms etc while you are here. BUt you will also have sun etc.... Don't worry come downa nd have fun.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
JRSYCOLL said:
Okay.......I leave Monday the 11th for 10 days in Puerto Plata. ( for the 3rd time) I love the Dominican Republic....
ANYWAY.....can a local person please assuage my fears ( weather-wise) I am bringing a group of 15 people..and I am the (unofficial) tour guide.
I have been on weather.com/yahoo weather/ and the underground weather for Puerto Plata.....they all say various degrees of bad....
All I would like to know from someone that actually lives there...( and knows)...Is the weather predictable??? I mean if it is saying rain everyday..in your experience...should I start crying now??? THANX so much for anything you can tell me!!!!
You are traveling during hurricane season and hence the weather is generally determined by..., well, hurricanes and tropical storms. If there is one in the area, expect lots of rain. (Luckily it is extremely rare for a hurricane to directly hit the north coast). If not, it will be very hot. Check on whether.com to track any tropical storms that are heading to the area.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Average rainfall for July, throughout the DR, is 163 mm/month. I believe that translates into 6 1/2 inches for the month.
Average sunshine per day in July is 7 hours.
(Stats taken from Berndtson & Berndtson Maps)

I have been living in Sosua for 14 years now, and I have yet to see a hurricane.
I have seen some bad weather, even some tropical storms. But, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER a hurricane.
C'mon down, swim with the dolphins, take a break, eat some good food, have a few drinks, hang out by the ocean, go on some excursions, meet some kool people, etc.
Life is what you make it. If it pours one day, we can get a poker game going, or just sit around & tell stories.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Rocky said:
Average rainfall for July, throughout the DR, is 163 mm/month. I believe that translates into 6 1/2 inches for the month.
Average sunshine per day in July is 7 hours.
(Stats taken from Berndtson & Berndtson Maps)

I have been living in Sosua for 14 years now, and I have yet to see a hurricane.
I have seen some bad weather, even some tropical storms. But, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER a hurricane.
C'mon down, swim with the dolphins, take a break, eat some good food, have a few drinks, hang out by the ocean, go on some excursions, meet some kool people, etc.
Life is what you make it. If it pours one day, we can get a poker game going, or just sit around & tell stories.
Just curious Marco...What did you call Jeanne?? A tropical storm?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
ggn420 said:
Just curious Marco...What did you call Jeanne?? A tropical storm?
Dang if you aren't the most pessimistic guy on this site.
Is your glass half empty?
It's like doomsday for you.
Don't you ever have anything positive to say?
It's like you're always trying to scare people off.
YES !!!
Jeanne was downgraded to a tropical storm when it went through here.
Would I lie to you or anybody, for that matter?
What's eating you?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Rocky said:
YES !!!
What's eating you?

Rocky... let?s go to Guananico soon!!! We need it! ;)
I will bake bread and take along!!!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
carina said:
Rocky... let?s go to Guananico soon!!! We need it! ;)
I will bake bread and take along!!!
Yummmmmmyyyyy.
I think I'm going out there tomorrow with a buddy from St. Thomas.
Maybe we can do it next wek.
As long as there isn't a hurricane, lol.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Rocky said:
Yummmmmmyyyyy.
I think I'm going out there tomorrow with a buddy from St. Thomas.
Maybe we can do it next wek.
As long as there isn't a hurricane, lol.

I am always ready for that, you know it... just let me know 5 min in advance!!! LOL
And give our friends my best, best regards and love!
You showed me a treasure, seriously.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Rocky said:
YES !!!
What's eating you?
Always plan on the worst.....that way, you will never be disapointed.
If you drink fast enough, it is neither.
All depends on who I'm saying it to.
Do I scare you off?
Ahhhhh, that's what I was asking, now I have the answer.
No, I have no reason to think you would lie to me, por que?
It's not what's eating me, it's what I'm eating!!
Hummmmm, hope that covers it.

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
Listen to planner. Weather forecasts suck.

Last week Richard and I spent 6 days around under yahoo and weather.com predictions of heavy storms. We almost cancelled our week vacation because of the "bad predictions". We were 3 days in Bayahibe with 5 minutes shower rain each day and 2 days in Sosua, the first day was great. In the second night it rained a lot... but what the heck... we had tons of fun and a great tan to proove it :cool:

BTW, AZB, I am PMing you my email address, I want that foto!

Jess

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
carina said:
Jeanne was a tropical storm when coming here to us. Not a hurricane.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34645&highlight=jeanne+tropical+storm

Jeanne was a hurricane when she arrived in Punta Cana, a direct experience of PJT.

For our original poster, the weather is somewhat predictable. However the internet sites such as those you mention are cookie-cutter type information sites based upon computer programs, rather than direct observation. They are generalize information.

Regards,
PJT

Regards,
PJT

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Listening

Let's pay a bit more attention to the OP's question.

JRSYCOLL said:

That's Puerto Plata. Not Punta Cana. What the heck would this poster care about Punta Cana, if he's going to POP?

JRSYCOLL said:
ANYWAY.....can a local person please assuage my fears ( weather-wise) I am bringing a group of 15 people..and I am the (unofficial) tour guide. I have been on weather.com/yahoo weather/ and the underground weather for Puerto Plata.....they all say various degrees of bad.... All I would like to know from someone that actually lives there...( and knows)...

Hey. I'm a local person. I live here. I know about the weather here on the North coast. I know that there hasn't been a hurricane here in the 14 years I've lived here. I can truthfully "assuage" his fears.

JRSYCOLL said:
Is the weather predictable??? I mean if it is saying rain everyday..in your experience...should I start crying now??? THANX so much for anything you can tell me!!!!

We all know how inacurate a science, weather predicting is. Why make this dude suffer more than he already is? The odds are heavily in his favour that he'll have mostly good weather and have a great ole' time with his friends.
I could understand if some old Canadian lady fell in love with a 20 year old sanky panky, that we would all feel the need to sway her away from getting herself into trouble, as the odds are not in her favour, but to start to suggest that one should not come to the DR, specially the North coast during hurricane season, is wrong, and quite frankly, not very bright.
If there are an average of 15 hurricanes per year in the tropics, and I haven't seen one here for 14 years, then that makes over 200 tropical hurricanes in a row that haven't hit us.
Give this guy a break!!!

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
PJT said:
Jeanne was a hurricane when she arrived in Punta Cana, a direct experience of PJT.

For our original poster, the weather is somewhat predictable. However the internet sites such as those you mention are cookie-cutter type information sites based upon computer programs, rather than direct observation. They are generalize information.

Regards,
PJT

Regards,
PJT

I remember reading that PJT. I was just responding the OP about Puerto Plata and the North Coast, where we have had no hurricanes that I have experienced during my years here.
I remember one of my clients, having boats in Punta Cana, going through living hell because of Jeanne. Sea Pro also sent an emergency divingteam to PUJ for rescuing people.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Geez Folks!

Let's keep cool now, OK! All of us weather folks work too hard to keep you all informed to have to deal with schoolyard disagreements... Keep cool!

To the OP - Chances are that you will find a mixed bag of weather, between sunny and very hot, to sunny and hot with a little cloud cover, to some quick tropical storms that blow over quickly, to some breezes that keep us all cool. None of us can guarantee that this will be exactly what you find, but the probability is high that that is exactly what you will find.

Come and down with your group of people and enjoy! You'll have a good time.

Status
Not open for further replies.