Puerto Plata in late Sep - early Oct

Status
Not open for further replies.

svenny83

Jul 13, 2005
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the bored. My girlfriend and I have just paid for a 2 week all-inclusive holiday to Puerto Plata. We are *so* excited about it! Booked into the Occidental Grand Flamenco...

I've got a couple of queries about this area - probably stuff you've heard many times before, but I need to clear them up so I can get them off my mind!

Firstly, the weather. Obviously I know that late Sep-early Oct is towards the end of the hurricane season. Generally speaking, what is the weather like at this time? When shopping around for the holiday, many travel agents tried to dissuade us from going on account of the weather.

Secondly, the travel agent we have booked with has recommended, almost insisted, that we do not leave the hotel compound, unless on an organised tour, when we are there. I just need to hear it from someone else that this is a completely unorthadox ploy to get us to spend more money with them! I love exploring an area, and wouldn't be silly enough to walk alone at night etc anyway. Additionally, I've been on a hostile environment course for work anyway, so could probably deal with most problems. Surely that part of the country isn't actually dangerous?

Next, vaccinations. Various vaccinations have been recommended before we travel (from the UK), but I've noticed that they are not mandatory. Would you recommend they are done anyway?

Finally, currency. At this moment of time, we can get US dollars for a fantastic rate against the British pound. Would I be best advised to take US dollars to the Domincan Republic as opposed to the local currency, to get more for our money?

Sorry if these questions sound pathetic or basic, but once I have the answers to these, all that is left to do is count down the days!

Many thanks,

Stephen H (London, UK).

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Hi Stephen, first welcome to the board. I live and work in Puerto Plata. It is very safe here as long as you use your head. YOu are correct, this is a ploy to sell more tours and to save themselves headaches....

The Flamenco is a very nice hotel and you will enjoy yourselves! Do get out of hte hotel and out of Playa Dorada and explore the north coast! There is a lot to see and do. Get to Sosua, Cabarete, up into the mountains, maybe to Luperon... Get into Puerto Plata and explore the city... of course go dancing....

Weather: will be a mixed bag. Yes you will see lots of sun and you will get some rain storms too. But usually they are short in duration and happen later in the afternoon or early evening. Bring mosquito repellant with high DEET content.

Shots: tell us what is recommended and we can give you our opinions....

Currency: you can bring either US or pounds. I have generally found (but not always) the best exchange rate is against the US dollar. Up to you.... won't make a huge difference but do not exchange your money at the hotel!!! They will give you a very bad rate. Go to the plaza and shop around for the best rate.

Any more questions, don't hesitate to ask....

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
planner said:
Currency: you can bring either US or pounds. I have generally found (but not always) the best exchange rate is against the US dollar. Up to you.... won't make a huge difference but do not exchange your money at the hotel!!! They will give you a very bad rate. Go to the plaza and shop around for the best rate.
The airport in POP also has a fair exchange rate.

kirkland1222

Mar 9, 2005
I too was curious about the weather as I am going down at the same time.
Other than this I agree entirely with Planner.
Explore as much as possible. You will have a much better time than staying in an all inclusive. It is much less dangerous than people imply.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
My experience is that october is one of the better months. November to february usually sucks. In that period you risk not to see the sun at all for periods up to a week.

svenny83

Jul 13, 2005
Hi to all!

Thank you Planner for your help last month. I'm sorry I haven't got back to you since then!

Well, 6 weeks from today my girlfriend and I will be flying out to the Dominican Republic. Excitement isn't the word!

Thanks for the info on the weather - what you said is pretty much what I've heard from other people, and I know you have the definitive word on weather issues in Puerto Plata ;) As long as its warm and mainly sunny, I'm sure I can deal with some rain once in a while!

Shots: well thats been and done. I got a shot for Hepatitis A last week, and I didn't need typhoid as I am protected against that already from previous shots.

Currency: As far as shops and hotels go, would I be best advised to use the local currency (DR pesos?)? Someone told me US dollars are widely accepted too, is this true?

I am now going to do some reseach, find out what there is to see and where we can visit when we get there!

Counting the days! :) (42....)

Take care,

Stephen H

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Thanks Stephen, I like to be helpful. Remember though to really guarantee the weather you have to bribe me....

IT really does not matter all that much which you use. Quite often people will carry both currencies and use whichever is in their favour. In some cases buying tours works out cheaper when you use dollars then pesos. Always ask what their exchange rate is that they are using! Do the math in your head and then pay in whatever currency works for you.

Be careful not to be left with too many pesos! They are worthless at home...

Do your research and look at tours / excursions and day trips. Do not exclude the option of walking out to the road and getting on the local bus and going into town, or to sosua or to cabarete. Also look at negotiating with an english speaking taxi driver and going off for the day!

If you like adventure go to Damajagua falls! Do a search for this and you will see a wonderful trip report about the falls. I've done them 12 times and loved it each time..

There are so many options here, it just depends what you really like to do.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
svenny83 said:
As far as shops and hotels go, would I be best advised to use the local currency (DR pesos?)? Someone told me US dollars are widely accepted too, is this true?
Yes. Bring US dollars, change them in the DR, as needed.

jimmynj116

Aug 16, 2005
Also in Sept...

I cannot wait as well and was glad to pick up some more info. from this post. I will be heading down the week of the 9th thru the 17th with my girl. Hopefully we can rival our last trip to Hedonism.

cvgworker

Aug 30, 2005
Popular time of year

My fiance' and I are going to Puerto Plata the first week in October for our honeymoon, and we can't wait!!! Looking forward to all of the things I've read on this board!! Can someone recommend a good snorkel/scuba tour, a good all around tour, and any other good things to do? Also, we have been advised to bring school supplies (pencils, paper, crayons, markers, ect) to donate to the local elementary schools. It was represented as an expected part of our visit and potential tours of the island. Is this true? Thanks to all.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
YOu will have an awesome time here on your honeymoon.

It would be wonderful if you could bring down school supplies as there is a great need for them. IT is not expected but it is greatly appreciated.

Snorkelling - the best in the area is off sosua beach. One option is to take the all day catamaran trip. Leaves the beach at Playa Dorada around 9 am and returns late in the afternooon, you will see the coastline, have a wonderful sail, lunch, swimming, snorkelling, music dancing and drinking... make sure to tell them you are on your honeymoon.

I also recommend (weather permitting) that you do the jeep safari to Damajagua falls. Do a search here on DR1 for a thread about that trip. It is amazing! I've done it 12 times...

In Playa Dorada you have many choices for night time fun as well.... What hotel are you coming to?

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
First, DR is like a second home to us. My friend and I stayed at the Grand Flamenco, POP, for one week, last Nov/Dec and are going back again this September. We are two women, and we never stayed on the resort any nights.

The travel agents prefer you booked with the tours agents as they received commission. You need to find a local taxi driver and make a deal with him to take you around POP, and the other towns close by.

You will need to use some caution, but get outside the resort.

We had the most fun the night we hop on the local bus carrying the resort worker's home. We were walking to take a taxi when the bus stop and we hopped on. I'm still laughing everytime I think of this.

cvgworker

Aug 30, 2005
Hotel

planner said:
YOu will have an awesome time here on your honeymoon.

It would be wonderful if you could bring down school supplies as there is a great need for them. IT is not expected but it is greatly appreciated.

Snorkelling - the best in the area is off sosua beach. One option is to take the all day catamaran trip. Leaves the beach at Playa Dorada around 9 am and returns late in the afternooon, you will see the coastline, have a wonderful sail, lunch, swimming, snorkelling, music dancing and drinking... make sure to tell them you are on your honeymoon.

I also recommend (weather permitting) that you do the jeep safari to Damajagua falls. Do a search here on DR1 for a thread about that trip. It is amazing! I've done it 12 times...

In Playa Dorada you have many choices for night time fun as well.... What hotel are you coming to?

We are staying at The Hacienda Tropical

Mogwai7

Sep 15, 2005
My wife & I are also visiting DR at the end of September beginning of October. Just wish we had found this forum sooner. We booked the holiday months and months ago and I bookmarked this site back then but a combination of being real busy and trying not to get too excited too soon has meant we haven't done any more research until know.
Have to say this site and forum has been a real help. Thanks Planner & Co.
We're staying at Occidental Jack Tar Village, Puerto Plata and travelling from the UK.
I hope to do a little fishing while I'm out there, does any one have any advice / recommendations for the area?
Also my Wife & I would like to contribute towards some school supplies is there anything specific that would help? Any advice would be appreciated thanks.
Well not long to go now and we're both getting excited. :classic:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Welcome to the site. YOu will find a lot of really useful information here as well as some entertainment.

School supplies: pencils, erasers, stickers, glue, markers etc are all really appreciated! Paper tends to be really heavy in your suitcase. BUt, we can always take you shopping in Puerto Plata if you want to buy some.

Do you know that many classrooms still have no blackboards? $10 US will outfit a classroom with a new board.... We know how to make this happen....

Fishing: can't really help you there, but I am pretty sure Carina knows someone....

I will send you a PM with contact information.

megamania

Sep 10, 2005
January weather-Not so good?????

Hello Planner.

I have read with intersest some of your posts. One person on this forum said the weather usually is not very good at all from November to February. Is that true??
We are planning on being in Cabarete on Jan 8-15, 2006. Sure hope we catch some beach weather.
What are your thoughts on this??
I am glad to see also that most people who actually "know" what is going on in D.R. have made it clear that is is not as dangerous to go off a resort as some people make it out to be. You would not believe it when I tell people that I am not doing an all inclusive and I am going to D.R. They look at me like I have three heads!! The travel agents in Canada must do a real number on people when they are booking their trips.
Of course, I am in a different country, and I will be careful, but that goes without saying.
Anyways, thanks for info.
Meg

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Hello and thanks for your questions. The weather patterns seem to be changing. IT seems we aren't exactly sure what to expect! I can tell you that last year it was not all that nice at times. But November to February is a really big stretch of time to say it wasn't nice - not true either.

It is highly likely you will get some decent weather. But, do be prepared for some rain, then it won't be that big a deal. It is warm tropical rain and sometimes it is a welcome break!

One of my pet peeves is what is being said by travel agents and representatives. It is safe to live here. It is safer then Toronto, Montreal, Chicago, Detroit, New York, Miami, Los Angeles, London England, etc etc etc.... So, I am sure it is just as safe as manymany many other places.

Just use your head!!! That isn't directed at you megamania but to everyone who reads this. Use your common sense. Sometimes I think tourists get on a plane and leave their common sense at home! Please bring it with you and use it....

It is okay to go off the resort! It is okay to get out there and meet the people of this wonderful country. It is okay to eat outside the resort, go dancing, interact with locals etc etc.

You will go home with amazing stories and memories!

Mogwai7

Sep 15, 2005
Thanks Planner & Fireguy.
Planner not received your PM.
Only a matter of hours now before we go yipeeeeee!

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Mogwai7 said:
I hope to do a little fishing while I'm out there, does any one have any advice / recommendations for the area?
The dominican Republic in general and Puerto Plata in particular is not a fishing destination. This is evidenced by the number of charter fishing boats home-ported here----very few. There are a few charter boats and fishing excursions, but in general they are for the tourist who wants to say that they went fishing. Don't expect to catch much more than a sunburn, certainly no large gamefish. Of course the tour operator or captain will show you the picture of the big one he landed (probably 12 years ago and God knows where).

Status
Not open for further replies.