How Strong Are The Dr Armed Forces...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
How strong are the DR Armed Forces, and how confident are you in their ability to protect and defend the people of the Dominican Republic from attack by foreign and/or domestic powers?

Yvette

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
They could hold off Haiti which is the only remote possibility and only if they went totally nuts more so than they are now. I think the Russians and North Koreans are not targeting the DR, and of the other 200+ countries in the world nobody is. So it is sort of a moot point.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Attacks by foreign or domestic powers in the 'Travel' section of this board...
Yvette, you hold some strange ideas about travelling...
if this can give you some assurance: the DR forces did go and protect 'DR interests' in Iraq.
Bartolomeo

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
Bartolomeo67 said:
Attacks by foreign or domestic powers in the 'Travel' section of this board...
Yvette, you hold some strange ideas about travelling...
if this can give you some assurance: the DR forces did go and protect 'DR interests' in Iraq.
Bartolomeo

Bart,

Posting under 'Travel' was a mistake, I thought I posted under 'General', I aplogize for the error.

Yvette

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
A Little Back-up

A short time ago, 2500 troops just came in from Spain to POP and traveled to Haiti in support of Dominican troops......which oviously couldn't handle the ongoing problems in Haiti themselves.

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
ricktoronto said:
They could hold off Haiti which is the only remote possibility and only if they went totally nuts more so than they are now. I think the Russians and North Koreans are not targeting the DR, and of the other 200+ countries in the world nobody is. So it is sort of a moot point.

I understand your point Rick, but in an hour that you think not...how many wars have been started as a result of greed? If a country is considered a weaker power, and they are also rich in marketable resources, (which I don't have the knowledge that the DR has such resources) anything is possible.

Yvette

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Well, ggn, anyone with a brain would know the DR is not the only force in Haiti for the peacekeeping mission, and if Spain arrived as part of the UN Peacekeeping mandate it doesn't mean that the DR or other armed forces couldn't handle it , it means they are performing under the UN charter as they are a member.

Practice quoting and also facts, too. Two assignments now.

Note from the UN itself, the absence of ANY DR troops in Haiti as part of the mission - oops, dang, dagnabbit, yet an other error. Maybe you confused Burkina Faso and the DR as they have two words in the country name.

Total initially authorized strength:

Up to 6,700 military personnel; 1,622 civilian police; 548 international civilian personnel, 154 United Nations volunteers and 995 local civilian staff (S/2004/300)

Temporary reinforcement

On 22 June 2005, the Security Council, by its resolution 1608, decided that for a temporary period MINUSTAH would consist of a miliatry component of up to 7,500 troops of all ranks and of up to 1,897 civilian police, and requested the Secretary-General to devise a progressive drawdown strategy of the MINUSTAH force levels for the post-election period, in accordance with the situation on the ground

Current strength
(30 June 2005)

7,666 total uniformed personnel, including 6,229 troops and 1,437 civilian police, supported by 425 international civilian personnel, about 800 local civilian staff and 139 United Nations Volunteers

Contributors of Military Personnel Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Croatia, Ecuador, France, Guatemala, Jordan, Malaysia, Morocco, Nepal, Paraguay, Peru, Phillipines, Spain, Sri Lanka, United States and Uruguay

Contributors of Civilian Police Personnel Argentina, Benin, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Canada, Chad, Chile, China, Egypt, El Salvador, France, Ghana, Guinea, Jordan, Mali, Mauritius, Nepal, Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, Philippines, Portugal, Romania, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Spain, Sri Lanka, Togo, Turkey, United States, Uruguay and Zambia

Last edited:

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
yvette said:
I understand your point Rick, but in an hour that you think not...how many wars have been started as a result of greed? If a country is considered a weaker power, and they are also rich in marketable resources, (which I don't have the knowledge that the DR has such resources) anything is possible.

Yvette

Greed? For what? Sugar cane they can't sell worldwide now? Bananas and pineapples? Prostitutes? Who do you think is the most likely to invade? Let's see.....Cuba maybe or the Puerto Ricans want their own territory.

This was a really pointless question, barely scratching the rhetorical boundary.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
yvette said:

Yvette

Wars between countries where one wants to conquer the other are extremely rare nowadays. Iraq tried to conquer Kuwait, Argentina the Falklands, but that's already a long time ago. Civil wars and wars about secession are much more common. And if the DR could not defend itself against some unlikely attacker, the US or NATO would surely give support.

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
ricktoronto said:
Greed? For what? Sugar cane they can't sell worldwide now? Bananas and pineapples? Prostitutes? Who do you think is the most likely to invade? Let's see.....Cuba maybe or the Puerto Ricans want their own territory.

This was a really pointless question, barely scratching the rhetorical boundary.

Rick,

Too late in the week, I'm not trying to start a fight with anyone. Reread my first reply to you.

Yvette

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Glad to see you did your homework Rickie..........
The problem is.......the start of another "Civil War" the most dangerous of all....

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
ricktoronto said:
Well, ggn, anyone with a brain would know the DR is not the only force in Haiti for the peacekeeping mission, and if Spain arrived as part of the UN Peacekeeping mandate it doesn't mean that the DR or other armed forces couldn't handle it , it means they are performing under the UN charter as they are a member.

Practice quoting and also facts, too. Two assignments now.

Note from the UN itself, the absence of ANY DR troops in Haiti as part of the mission - oops, dang, dagnabbit, yet an other error. Maybe you confused Burkina Faso and the DR as they have two words in the country name.

Total initially authorized strength:

Up to 6,700 military personnel; 1,622 civilian police; 548 international civilian personnel, 154 United Nations volunteers and 995 local civilian staff (S/2004/300)

Temporary reinforcement

On 22 June 2005, the Security Council, by its resolution 1608, decided that for a temporary period MINUSTAH would consist of a miliatry component of up to 7,500 troops of all ranks and of up to 1,897 civilian police, and requested the Secretary-General to devise a progressive drawdown strategy of the MINUSTAH force levels for the post-election period, in accordance with the situation on the ground

Current strength
(30 June 2005)

7,666 total uniformed personnel, including 6,229 troops and 1,437 civilian police, supported by 425 international civilian personnel, about 800 local civilian staff and 139 United Nations Volunteers

Contributors of Military Personnel Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Croatia, Ecuador, France, Guatemala, Jordan, Malaysia, Morocco, Nepal, Paraguay, Peru, Phillipines, Spain, Sri Lanka, United States and Uruguay

Contributors of Civilian Police Personnel Argentina, Benin, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Canada, Chad, Chile, China, Egypt, El Salvador, France, Ghana, Guinea, Jordan, Mali, Mauritius, Nepal, Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, Philippines, Portugal, Romania, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Spain, Sri Lanka, Togo, Turkey, United States, Uruguay and Zambia

I'm the poster, I know very little about the DR I depend on others like you who are knowledgable about this country, to supply me with answers to my questions; now if you need a punching bag, go to the gym, I'm not the one.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
ggn420 said:
Glad to see you did your homework Rickie..........
The problem is.......the start of another "Civil War" the most dangerous of all....
I agree, the Dominican Republic's biggest enemy is itself. A civil war or massive riots and strikes are much more possible than invasion.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
yvette said:
I'm the poster, I know very little about the DR I depend on others like you who are knowledgable about this country, to supply me with answers to my questions; now if you need a punching bag, go to the gym, I'm not the one.
Just ignore him....always looks for the weak link in the chain......

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
To answer your original question...

The DR armed forces are undisciplined, ill equipped and poorly trained. I don't say that to be a jerk, it is just the truth. They have more generals than they have posts for. For example, two years ago a report was published on the rediculous number of generals. Where did they work? What did they do? One was assigned to be the general of the pool which was built for the Pan Am Games.

There are thousands of men/women in the Navy but only a few "ships". There are also thousands of men/women in the Air Force but only a couple of "Aircraft".

The DR doesn't need a military. We need a kick *** national police force with special capabilities (special ops like hostage rescue, counter terrorism, sea air and land capabilities). It is rediculous to try and mirror the US or any first world country. We could be a model for other small countries. Lean and mean is the way to go.

Scandall

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
DR similar to all 3rd world countries

yvette said:
How strong are the DR Armed Forces, and how confident are you in their ability to protect and defend the people of the Dominican Republic from attack by foreign and/or domestic powers?
Yvette
The military exist in all '3rd world' countries for the sole purpose of keeping the peace in the country and not necessarily to protect it from any foreign/external threat (from another ragtag army which can't even feed its troops?). And, the US already has de facto control of all 3rd world countries anyways.

So the question is, how strong is the DR Military to protect the Government from an internal revolt? The masses are poor and uneducated so remote to nil possibility of a revolt and the rich are happy with the status quo. Therefore, the DR can disband the military and save a lot of money but, don't hold your breath ... it won't happen!!!!!

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
Scandall said:
The DR armed forces are undisciplined, ill equipped and poorly trained. I don't say that to be a jerk, it is just the truth. They have more generals than they have posts for. For example, two years ago a report was published on the rediculous number of generals. Where did they work? What did they do? One was assigned to be the general of the pool which was built for the Pan Am Games.

There are thousands of men/women in the Navy but only a few "ships". There are also thousands of men/women in the Air Force but only a couple of "Aircraft".

The DR doesn't need a military. We need a kick *** national police force with special capabilities (special ops like hostage rescue, counter terrorism, sea air and land capabilities). It is rediculous to try and mirror the US or any first world country. We could be a model for other small countries. Lean and mean is the way to go.

Scandall

scandall,

Thanks for your post, plain, simple to the point, your take on the situation, the kind of response I was looking for.

Yvette

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Giving up the military?

Hmm, that's a little problem.

Look what happened to Haiti, Aristide disbanded the military and from what I know, the current uprising is heavily infiltrated with former Haitian militarymen who are still angry at the demolition of that institution.

Not to mention that one of the reasons Haiti's current situation has gotten out of hand was because there was no military to take control when the situation was starting to erupt.

Given that Haiti is right next door, literally, and the fact that we (the DR) also have had our share of a military junta who pretty much ruled the country during a good chunk of the 1960s, we can be pretty sure that the military is going to go absolutely nowhere.

The military (at least along its top ranks) keeps a very close eye on the government and they try to do the same to the elites.

May 12, 2005
THe only thing I can add to this post is what one of my co-workers shared with me. He is a major in the US Army reserve and spent 18 mos in Iraq as apart of a military police unit. During this time his unit had the soldiers from the DR attached to it. They provided perimeter security for the base. He told me that the DR Army comported itself very well and he had nothing but nice things to say about them. The base received several mortar attcks and all of the Dominicans held their posts and did not run and acted professionally.

My 2 cents worth........

Status
Not open for further replies.