Importing via UPS...

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Have read some of the previous posts in archive and am wanting a bit more specific info. I am wondering about importing costume jewellery and would be shipped via ups or fedex. I believe that it can be shipped to my door but am wondering about what is required other than the brokerage paperwork done by the carrier.
Will I still need a broker to clear the shipment? (I am assuming so) and has anyone ever brought in this type of merchandise? I am based in Canada, however the goods would be shipped out of the U.S.
Any help would be appreciated.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
All I can tell you is do your homeork.
I shipped a 1lb package to PC last year,minus the customs duty 60US
Not shure what they charged on the other end, it was 20 dollars worth LOL

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
All depends on what you want to ship.

Look, we have hashed this over a dozen or more times.

If you have important documents to ship...use FEDEX, DHL or UPS.

IF you have household goods that are heavy (for God's Sake, do not send mosquito nets, Christmas wrappings or decorations or lightbulbs!!) and valuable, use people like Business Mail, CPS, Mail Boxes etc. You pay for shippping from Miami, a generally smaller than usual customs fee and you get your goods in good shape, since they are insured by the forwarder.

No visits to sweaty customs offices , no delays, no problems. You pay a bit more but comfort and security are worth it....

People like Business Mail will ship an entire house if you so choose.

HB :D:D:D

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
jrf said:
Have read some of the previous posts in archive and am wanting a bit more specific info. I am wondering about importing costume jewellery and would be shipped via ups or fedex. I believe that it can be shipped to my door but am wondering about what is required other than the brokerage paperwork done by the carrier.
Will I still need a broker to clear the shipment? (I am assuming so) and has anyone ever brought in this type of merchandise? I am based in Canada, however the goods would be shipped out of the U.S.
Any help would be appreciated.

from NY, NJ, MIAMI, BOSTON areas there are many shipping companies
that for $75 you can send a box of stuff to DR (would take 3-4 wks).
But that only include food stuff i believe.

see link.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42003&highlight=shipping

Montessorian

Apr 1, 2002
www.patriaquerida.homestead.com
recent shippment via ups

I recently sent two race saddles via UPS, the cost was aproximately 18,000 pesos, and I was asked to pay 10,000 in tax. I did not, and thank goodness I was able to negociate my way around it. However my case was the exception and I would be very weary of sending anything of value.

They even lost my package and it took three days for them to find it.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Montessorian said:
I recently sent two race saddles via UPS, the cost was aproximately 18,000 pesos, and I was asked to pay 10,000 in tax. I did not, and thank goodness I was able to negociate my way around it. However my case was the exception and I would be very weary of sending anything of value.

They even lost my package and it took three days for them to find it.

Should have brought them with P.O. Box Int'l. I've brought down an english and a western saddle and the most I paid was RD$6000 and that was for the heavier western... They take care of customs and give you a copy of the bill they pay.