Why so many invisible DR1ers?

purplebunniern

May 13, 2004
just one more month

sorry guys but going to hijack this thread for a quick moment. Ive been a DR1 lurker for a number of years, posted a few thoughts but usually keep to myself.
Heading back to Puerto Plate first week of Sept and bringing a newbie and want to show her why I keep going back.
So my question is are any of the resident DR1 willing to show my friend and I where the real fun is? ( Im sick of Mangu and Hemmingways plus all the local dives - La Canita, La Barrica)

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Malibook said:
Show thy selves.
Some people don't like being "attacked" for posting their opinion, and some people don't feel they should have to "defend theirselves" after posting.......

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Mali, can you expand on your post?

I think all members should have a picture in the mugshot section of the media gallery...

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
purplebunniern said:
sorry guys but going to hijack this thread for a quick moment. Ive been a DR1 lurker for a number of years, posted a few thoughts but usually keep to myself.
Heading back to Puerto Plate first week of Sept and bringing a newbie and want to show her why I keep going back.
So my question is are any of the resident DR1 willing to show my friend and I where the real fun is? ( Im sick of Mangu and Hemmingways plus all the local dives - La Canita, La Barrica)
You'll get more responses if you start a new thread in the Travel forum.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Could be....

Malibook said:
Show thy selves.
Maybe, just maybe for the same reason some use a nickname instead of their real names: "PRIVACY".

There are many reasons.

Do you really, really care if they show "thy selves"?. Some do care. Some don't care. I, for one, could not care less.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Absolutely right

miguel said:
Maybe, just maybe for the same reason some use a nickname instead of their real names: "PRIVACY".
If a guy is a drag queen, perhaps he wants to remain anonymous. I'm just looking out for my buddies Larry and Miguel :laugh: :laugh:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
When somebody comes to this board looking for help or information, I don't think it is important that the person or persons who provide it have "shown" themselves or not.

Every poster has PM or email access to other owners if he wants to know more about a particular poster. I've gotten PMs from posters who wanted to know more about me, and I was happy to reply to their questions. Also, if you are a regular on this board, you get to know quite a bit about many of the posters from the information they mention in various posts.

And it is rare that something isn't posted about an upcoming get-together or a desire to meet other dr1ers when they are here on a vacation visit.

I think the only ones really "invisible" are the lurkers.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Actually there aren't that many members that choose the invisible mode if that's what mali is referring to. Many don't even know about the option.

Mods might choose it for obvious reasons and others might be at work and don't want to appear online unless they decide to respond to a thread. We do have tons of lurkers though that either don't sign in or don't have a username and just read. But that's different than being invisible.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
ggn420 said:
Some people don't like being "attacked" for posting their opinion, and some people don't feel they should have to "defend theirselves" after posting.......

Please, it's getting boring.

Moving on...

As I post this, we have 425 people looking at the board.

Currently Active Users: 425 (60 members and 365 guests)
The most was 1058 (05-15-2005 06:10 PM)

The guests mainly come from posts that are in the search engines or they are lurkers/bookmarkers.

It's amazing how many posts some people have that I haven't noticed posting. You read a thread, notice a name and realize they have 30-40 posts already.

Last edited:

Memon7

Aug 4, 2005
Hhmmm....

Talldrink said:
Mali, can you expand on your post?

I think all members should have a picture in the mugshot section of the media gallery...

That's a great idea!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Don't think so!

ggn420 said:
I believe that making yourself invisible has nothing to do with "attacking" or "defending" after posting. There are MANY that don't even know who they can make themselves invisible.

As I said before, it could be privacy or any other reason.

For me, I do like when people see that I am on and click on my name and ask me a question or ask me if I want to go to the chat room or to Msn or Yahoo instant message or send me a "hate" mail.

My favotite one is when a Miguel "hater" saw me on, clicked on my name, sent me a email and wrote to me telling me that something that I had posted was amazing, " a work of a genious" but ended the mail telling me that he still hated my guts and that he would not post anything positive on any of my posts because I "was an axx hol". PRICELESS!!.

Maybe some Do get many hate mail/PM's and they do not want to bother.Some just don't care if they get them. In other words: IT'S THE MEMBER'S CHOICE!.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
stop attacking....LOL

Robert said:
Please, it's getting boring.

Moving on...

As I post this, we have 425 people looking at the board.

Currently Active Users: 425 (60 members and 365 guests)
The most was 1058 (05-15-2005 06:10 PM)

The guests mainly come from posts that are in the search engines or they are lurkers/bookmarkers.

It's amazing how many posts some people have that I haven't noticed posting. You read a thread, notice a name and realize they have 30-40 posts already.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Malibook said:
I would think the norm would be to be open and show one's self so the question is why don't you want to be seen?
I made the mistake of anwering a PM from Mango Larry and NOW have me 10 PM from him in the box in 4 minutes.

Hope that answers your question. I like to read and write and not be summoned like a machine gun. But I hate people so maybe I am different.

Escott

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Conchman said:
stop attacking....LOL

Some people automatically feel that they are being attacked (I'm not talking aobut YOU Cochman) That is THEIR problem. People cannot assume everything being said is a direct remark or attack to their person.

Some people should sort message board messages in their lives as 'not so much a priority' after all...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Memon7 said:
That's a great idea!

But it's never going to happen, as it requires effort.
You are always going to get the 5% that will do it, but the other 95% will not.

At the end of the day, what does it matter if someone prefers to make themselves invisible?

Memon7

Aug 4, 2005
...(sigh)

Edited by Robert:

I just edited you out.

My guess is that was pretty positive experience for most of us on this board :)

Last edited by a moderator: