Remitances Re-visited

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
I have read several post regarding Dominicans "expecting" remitances from those who live abroad.

I can understand someone who sends money to older folks who have no income such as grandparents etc. However, I cannot understand Dominicans who are young and able to work expecting their family member to send them money while the sit under a tree and drink Presidente.

No one has the right to EXPECT anything from anyone else!!! I would like others take on this issue.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
My experience is with young (early 20's) Dominicans who have been repatriated (deported) because of trouble (usually fairly minor) with the American judicial system. These are people who spent most of their lives in New York, got into hot water over an illegal act,got deported and left their entire family including parents and siblings in the US. I find they are for the most part hard-working and want to make a life in the DR. I can't blame them for wanting, or their family in the US providing, help from time to time. Any parent or brother or sister would surely want to help. That 50 or 100 dollars doesn't make a lot of difference in the US, but it can be the difference between living or just surviving in the DR. (The usual senario I am referring to is that the parents and small children entered the US undocumented in the 1980's. These children grew up, were educated, lived their life in the US, but were never able to become legal. They may have commited as minor a crime as posession of small amounts of weed. Once they entered the legal judicial system they were prosecuted, punished and deported. Many of them view this as a life sentence to Devil's Island. Many that I know have worked hard and started families in the DR. I don't criticise them for wanting a better apartment or a better school for their kids. I think family in the US (living in fear of their own deportation) have a duty to send support.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Fred said:
I have read several post regarding Dominicans "expecting" remitances from those who live abroad.

I can understand someone who sends money to older folks who have no income such as grandparents etc. However, I cannot understand Dominicans who are young and able to work expecting their family member to send them money while the sit under a tree and drink Presidente.

No one has the right to EXPECT anything from anyone else!!! I would like others take on this issue.
Are you referring to all the non-Dominican girls that get sucked in to sending their "Sankie" money for his poor sick mother......... or other girlfriend???

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Repy

No I am referring to Dominicans that move to US or elsewhere and their family members expect them to send money.

My family immigrated after the 2nd world war when Europe was devastated. Not once did anyone ask for money. If my parents send money it was because they wanted to.

However, Dominicans expect something from those living abroad. No one has the right to demand anything from anyone. I am just trying to understand this mentality

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Fred said:
No I am referring to Dominicans that move to US or elsewhere and their family members expect them to send money.

My family immigrated after the 2nd world war when Europe was devastated. Not once did anyone ask for money. If my parents send money it was because they wanted to.

However, Dominicans expect something from those living abroad. No one has the right to demand anything from anyone. I am just trying to understand this mentality
Ahhh, OK My mothers family came from Poland after the depresion, and farmed all their lives, never sent any monies back home, they hardly had any contact with their relatives in the homeland.
Today.......people think differently, I don't think it is a Dominican thing, I beleive you will see the same anywhere you go.... If their relatives or family are "lucky" enough to make some "big"money in the states, they feel it should be shared with the "less fortunate"
We have many Dominican Puerto Rican, and Mexican farm workers here, for potato's and tobacco in the summer months. They come here to work, and work hard,make some good money, which most of, is sent back to their family. They keep very little, but drink Heinies, and eat lobster and steak at the bar. Come winter they return home to their family, and in the summer do the same all over again. I guess it's the new generations revised way of thinking LOL

May 31, 2005
Fred said:

My family and I living in the US send money to my grandparents. We do not send money to people that are young and can work.

You misunderstood when you read that other post about Dominicans expecting money from family members abroad.

May 31, 2005
Fred said:

Plus, my grandparents do not ask me for money. I send it to them because I want to and I can. Again you are mistaken.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Siiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Fred said:

To answer your question, YES, many dominicans expect their US relatives to help them, not all, but many.

Many, also, think that their US relatives have a little "money tree" in the backyard and all they need to do is go to the yard and get money from the tree.

I have a motto: "I will help WHOMEVER I want, when I want. WHOMEVER asks me for money WILL NOT get it". As simple as that. I know my family and friends needs, no need to ask.

And I would never make it a "custom" because if you do, they will expect it all the time.

But, I must say, many, many foreigners that comes here to make a better life for themselves end up sending money back home.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Dragonfly32837 said:
Plus, my grandparents do not ask me for money. I send it to them because I want to and I can. Again you are mistaken.
In his initial post, Fred explicitly excluded Grandparents. He was questioning the expectation that of those younger Dominicans expecting their relatives that had made it to the US/Canada/Europe to send money home.

I don't believe he is mistaken. It seems common amongst the poorer Dominicans.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Not unique to Dominicans...

My husband was from an Asian country and we REGULARLY got telephone calls and letters asking for money, for shoes and for many other types of goods.

If my husband ignored the demand, it was followed up by telegrams!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
La Profe_1 said:
My husband was from an Asian country and we REGULARLY got telephone calls and letters asking for money, for shoes and for many other types of goods.

If my husband ignored the demand, it was followed up by telegrams!
It's good to hear it's not just a Dominican thing.

As others have said, those that haven't been to the US think that money grows on trees. Their believes are reinforced when those that have been to the US return home with suitcases of gifts, and money to burn.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Indeed!

rellosk said:
Their believes are reinforced when those that have been to the US return home with suitcases of gifts, and money to burn.
And that is EXACTLY the problem!!.

As I said before, on another thread about the same topic, MANY dominicans would travel to the DR and make their relatives and friends believe that they are well-to-do. Some bring all these gifts just because they want to impress and open people's eyes when in reality, in many cases, their dominican family and friends are better off than them.

Not many of their family and friends know that SOME are showing off. SOME want to hide the fact that they need to save about a year in order take a vacation. SOME hide the fact that they need to borrow money in order to buy things for their loved ones. SOME hide the fact that they buy all these crappy and cheap items just so they get everybody something, not because they want to, but to impress. SOME would even take pictures of fancy cars and make believe that it's theirs just so they can send that pictures to their relatives and friends back home.

And those SOME are the same that would complain when their family and friends ask them to send them money!. I mean, you want to them to believe that you are well-to-do, then they will expect you to send them money.

SOME think that you have a money tree. And that's because of those that go there to show off. All of a sudden, EVERYBODY that lives here MUST have a money tree. Go figure!!.

BTW, SOME means some and not ALL.