Nowhere to stay

Kika

Feb 23, 2005
Hola todos...

This is my first post on DR1 although I have been browsing the forums for months now. I have vastly expanded my knowlegde about the Dominican Republic thanks to all the informative people that post on this site....and I am hoping that you all can help me out now. :nervous:

I have just purchased my airfare to POP, without really thinking or planning, and now (after the fact) I find that my brain is starting to function again and I realize....I have nowhere to stay!!!

I have done the all-inclusive thing a few times but I wanted a different experience this time around, and I think it will be! This will be my first time travelling to the DR by myself (I am a 22yr old female) and I am having some second thoughts because of this, and because again....I have nowhere to stay!!!

So my questions are this:

- Does anyone know of cheap and comfortable accommodation on the north coast?? I am open to where on the north coast to stay. All I want is to be somewhat close to the beach and restaurants/stores etc.

- Do you feel that it will be safe for a young female to be travelling by herself in the Dominican Republic in general?? I was contemplating maybe taking the bus to Santo Domingo (I have never been), but mostly (weather permitting) just soaking up the sun on the north coast.

Thanks in advance for your time!

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Here is a copy of some hotels in Puerto Plata that I wrote down in another thread:

Portofino guesthouse - walking distance to Long Beach/Malecon, plain rooms, most forigners.Popular bar/restaurant beside the guesthouse.

Puerto Plata Beach Hotel - Big suites, 1 bedroom, 1 livingarea, 1 bathroom and kitchenette. Pool. By the Malecon.

Lomar - Rooms, pool, safe etc. Also by the Malecon

Hotel Hans - Small roomrental close to Malecon

Victoriano - Hotel downtown. Also many foreigners.

Castilla/Sams Bar - Legendary hotel downtown from 1890. Rooms very plain, crowdy, from 4 US/night American owned by Joanne.

Serena - Located close to Central Park. Apartments- suits.

Village - Located close to supermarket Tropical in the city. Also apartments.

Larrys apartments - on his own toproof with pool, close to city and Long beach. Larry is Canadian.

Studio/apartamentos Atlantico. Small nice studios with kitchenette, beside the Rum factory

Canadian Apartments - Just across Supermarket Jose Luis

Hotel Majestic. Downtown. Big rooms, cable, etc

Ilra - Old house from 1860 in the city, just around the corner from Central Park. Many Americans/backpackers from all parts of the world.

Juans Apartments - Behind the policestation.

Castilla del ambar - in the Marapica area of Puerto Plata.

Condado - Close to supermarket Jose Luis.

Sunshine - Same as Condado. Has a quite popular restaurant for lunch.

Papagayo - Very accommodation place in the city.

Latin Quarters - Also Malecon

There are more, on the Malecon and on Long Beach itself, but I think this would be enough...

Apart from that you have Costambar, Maimon and Cofresi just outside Puerto Plata, and of course Sosua that is 30 min away and a great place to have fun in.

Last edited:

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Malibook said:
Perhaps you should go to Sosua.

The beach in Puerto Plata is disgusting.

There is no real beach in Puerto Plata at all.
There is small one by Cosita Rica on the Malecon, and it is horrible.
If you stay in Puerto Plata, you need to go to Costa Dorada or Playa Dorada Beaches.. or any of the others, Bergantine for example.

I agree Mali! ;)

Kika

Feb 23, 2005
carina said:
Why not Rockys in Sosua.
Send a pm to Marco ( username Rocky ) from the messageboard, or email him
rockysbluesbar@hotmail.com

It?s a great place to be. ;)

Thanks for your response Carina....I will look into that.

Do you think that it will be safe for me to venture out at night? I would like to learn to dance bachata and merengue....but do you think that would be a bad idea because I will be alone? (I am not looking to bring any dominicans home with me ;) )

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Kika said:

Do you think that it will be safe for me to venture out at night? I would like to learn to dance bachata and merengue....but do you think that would be a bad idea because I will be alone? (I am not looking to bring any dominicans home with me ;) )

You?ll be safe.
Just behaive as you would in any other country when visiting.
;)

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Two questions

that will help with the recommendations I'm sure will be forthcoming:

1) What are the dates for your trip?

2) When you say cheap, what sort of price range do you have in mind?

I'm not as knowledgeable about the North Coast as many others on the board, but I agree that Sosua or Cabarete is probably where you'll want to be.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Kika said:

If I may make a suggestion, one of the best ways for a lone traveling female to go out dancing without being bothered, is to go with a Dominican girl who knows your agenda and will keep the wolves off your back.
Dawnwill can tell you about it.
She frequently used to go out, accompanied by a Dominican gal and they would have a great time.
If you come to Sosua, I can introduce you to some gals who would be glad to keep you company.
It may cost you buying her a few drinks, but it's well worth it.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Rocky said:
If you come to Sosua, I can introduce you to some gals who would be glad to keep you company.
It may cost you buying her a few drinks, but it's well worth it.
Can you introduce them to me? I don't mind buying a few drinks. :):)

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Hi Eddy:

Where exactly is Condos Dominicana?
Is that the small complex off of Ayuntimiento near Super Duper?

T.

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
I agree that Sosua might be a better choice - less of a hassle with respect to getting a hotel that is not all inclusive...as well - more action, shops and grocery options close by and fewer cab rides...

I have been to DR 3 times alone and as long as you keep your wits about you there is no issue. I think the idea the opther poster had about going out with a Dominican girl to the clubs is great- especally since you ahve not done this before. Wish I had had that option a few times....

Also agree with stayin gaway from hotels in PoP or on the malecon for a first timer - getting to hht nice beaches will be more time and trouble for you alone. Thew Peurto Plata Beach Resort is pretty nice but the beach does SUCK!!!

Have a great trip

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Little advice!!!!!!!!!!!

Kika said:
Hola todos...
This will be my first time travelling to the DR by myself (I am a 22yr old female)
Just be prepared to have many, many, many guys after you. Like flies on schit (not saying that you are, but you know what I mean).

Also, be prepared for the "I love you", "you are pretty", "I want to make babies with you", "I can not live without you".... comments.

And lets not forget about the TEARS. Oh those tears.

Bottom line, do not forget to take your common sense with you and DO NOT believe EVERYTHING that comes out of people's mouths!!!!!.

Good luck!.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
miguel said:
Also, be prepared for the "I love you", "you are pretty", "I want to make babies with you", "I can not live without you".... comments.
And that's just from the American ex-pats and tourists.:)

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Indeed!!!!!!

rellosk said:
And that's just from the American ex-pats and tourists.:)
Man, you are absolutely righ!!. Some of them can be much worse!!!!.