Que voy acer? Grammatics

M

Mr.Mark

I think that getting a job here, especially in the conditions you've told us, depends a lot on who you know that lives here and who those you know know. In the second place, you gotta let us know what your skills are and about your previous work experience.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Its "hacer" not "acer".

Now you said you want a job in dollars? Why? because you have studied in USA and now you want to move to DR so you think you deserve to be paid in dollars? get in the line buddy. There are many folks who are as qualified as your and jobless here or making money in pesos.
Jobs are very scarce here to beguin with and if you dream about getting paid in dollars, god help you.
AZB

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
AZB said:
Its "hacer" not "acer".

Now you said you want a job in dollars? Why? because you have studied in USA and now you want to move to DR so you think you deserve to be paid in dollars? get in the line buddy. There are many folks who are as qualified as your and jobless here or making money in pesos.
Jobs are very scarce here to beguin with and if you dream about getting paid in dollars, god help you.
AZB

And it's "Que voy a hacer?".......don't forget the preposition "a"......you don't want to speak like a caveman :)

AZB is right. Dollar incomes are scarce. Don't come to the DR thinking that opportunities will be jumping out at you. Take a look around, learn about the place first hand and then CREATE an opportunity for yourself.

Scandall

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
not to be a stickler about it

but if you're trying to say "What am I going to do?" instead of "Que voy hace", which to me doesn't make sense :cry: , how about "?Que hare yo?" :classic:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
AZB said:
Its "hacer" not "acer".

AZB
Absolutely, with his attitude he will become a man without a country. The Dominicans will resent his thinking he is too smart to work for pesos. The ex-pats will consider him another Dominican who couldn't make it in the States.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Maine is a state fyi, not an adjective!
Perhaps you can get a job teaching ESL or ETL!

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Scandall said:
And it's "Que voy a hacer?".......don't forget the preposition "a"......you don't want to speak like a caveman :)Scandall

Scandall, I never heard anyone say: Que voy a hacer.

Does the 'a' need to be included in this sentence? I really dont think so, then again, I had my last Spanish lesson when I was 8. Thanks.

Lesly or Jessy - where are you when we need you?!

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Tamborista said:

He he he he...Don't you just love it when DR1ers smell fresh meat????

And I'm the LAST guy who should be correcting anyone. Especially in Spanish.

Poor guy.

Scandall
Professor of Gorilla Grammar

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Tamborista said:

I really didnt want to comment on his poor English use because I really cannot point fingers... But if his true writing skills are presented in his post - he is hit both in Spanish and in English! Good luck with the job search...

M

Mr.Mark

Ricardo900 said:
but if you're trying to say "What am I going to do?" instead of "Que voy hace", which to me doesn't make sense :cry: , how about "?Que hare yo?" :classic:

The most appropiate translation for "What am I going to do?" in that context is "?Qu? voy a hacer?", "?Qu? har? yo?" is not very idiomatic in Spanish.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Mr.Mark said:
The most appropiate translation for "What am I going to do?" in that context is "?Qu? voy a hacer?", "?Qu? har? yo?" is not very idiomatic in Spanish.

And if you want to sound Dominican you should stick in a "Diablo!" or a "Co?o!". You can use them just about anywhere.

Scandall

M

Mr.Mark

Talldrink said:

Does the 'a' need to be included in this sentence? I really dont think so, then again, I had my last Spanish lesson when I was 8. Thanks.

In this case, the Spanish preposition "a" has the same function as the English "to". In Spanish it's necessary, in other romance languages such as Portuguese it is not. Hence, in Portuguese you say "o que vou fazer" and in Italian you say "che vado fare" -note the absence of any preoposition-.

May 31, 2005
Talldrink said:

It is que voy a hacer.... It just sounds like if you are saying que voy hacer.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Talldrink said:

Yes. You need it.

Examples: "Vamos a comer." "?Vas a comer?"

The expression is the equivalent of "going to". If you omit the "a" it would be like:

I going eat. Are you going eat?

I am far from being an expert but this is correct. We usually can't hear Dominicans say it because they speak quickly. But we do the same.

Example "Jeet your lunch today?" = "Did you eat your lunch today?"

Scandall
Not a Spanish expert

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Mr.Mark said:
Idiomatic or Correct Spanish, I am confused now, I will bring this fight in SPANISH 101 Thread, I'll let Anna & the Crew sort it out.

M

Mr.Mark

Ricardo900 said:
Idiomatic or Correct Spanish, I am confused now, I will bring this fight in SPANISH 101 Thread, I'll let Anna & the Crew sort it out.

Ricardo, there's no need to react like that. There are two ways of building the future tense in Spanish -if we can call the second one I will point out a tense-. One is by conjugating any verb into future (i.e.: comer= yo comer?, tu comer?s, ?l comer?, etc.) and the other one is by using the auxiliary verb "ir" in its present tense followed by the preposition "a" and the verb in question in its infinitive form (yo voy a comer, t? vas a comer, etc.).

Now, the second way I pointed out has its almost perfect equivalent in English. Guess which is? Yes, the verb "to be" in present tense, followed by the verb "to go" in present participle plus the verb in question -which has another denomination in Grammar, I just don't remember how it is called-. That's exactly what "what am i going to do" is. Hence, the correct translation is "?Qu? voy a hacer?".

"?Qu? har? yo?" as well as being too poetic would be the translation for "What will i do?". BTW, El Chavo del Ocho is one of the funniest and most popular Latin American sitcoms ever. It comes from Mexico.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
since you put it that way

Mr.Mark said:
Ricardo, there's no need to react like that. There are two ways of building the future tense in Spanish -if we can call the second one I will point out a tense-. One is by conjugating any verb into future (i.e.: comer= yo comer?, tu comer?s, ?l comer?, etc.) and the other one is by using the auxiliary verb "ir" in its present tense followed by the preposition "a" and the verb in question in its infinitive form (yo voy a comer, t? vas a comer, etc.).

Now, the second way I pointed out has its almost perfect equivalent in English. Guess which is? Yes, the verb "to be" in present tense, followed by the verb "to go" in present participle plus the verb in question -which has another denomination in Grammar, I just don't remember how it is called-. That's exactly what "what am i going to do" is. Hence, the correct translation is "?Qu? voy a hacer?".

"?Qu? har? yo?" as well as being too poetic would be the translation for "What will i do?". BTW, El Chavo del Ocho is one of the funniest and most popular Latin American sitcoms ever. It comes from Mexico.
Thanks for the translation and I will see if they have "El Chavo del Ocho on DVD"
Chao