Bugs in Dominican???

megamania

Sep 10, 2005
Hello again, it is me.....Megamania from Canada. Just a quick question on bugs, etc.
I gather from reading several posts that I need to bring repellant with Deet in it for sure. Is this all times of the year? When we were in St.Maartens we could not help but comment on the fact that we never saw a bug, no mosquitoes, etc.

I guess every island is different, but does anyone know why? Is it because D.R. is so much more "lush"?

Just curious, and just to be on safe side will pack my stuff for January.

Meg :cross-eye

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
megamania said:
Hello again, it is me.....Megamania from Canada. Just a quick question on bugs, etc.
I gather from reading several posts that I need to bring repellant with Deet in it for sure. Is this all times of the year? When we were in St.Maartens we could not help but comment on the fact that we never saw a bug, no mosquitoes, etc.

I guess every island is different, but does anyone know why? Is it because D.R. is so much more "lush"?

Bring some repellant just in case. And be aware that the mosquitos here are trained to favor biting people who refer to the DR as"The Dominican".

In all seriousness, the bug situation depends very much on the time of year and location. No need to pack cans of spray (which you may actually have problems flying with in your luggage). You can buy it here at just about any supermarket.

Scandall

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
The locals also find that keeping a blood alcohol level of 0.10%, supplemented with regular boosters of Brugal or Presidente will repel the mosquitos, or at least you won't feel them.

megamania

Sep 10, 2005
Bugs! and cure!!

HOWMAR said:
The locals also find that keeping a blood alcohol level of 0.10%, supplemented with regular boosters of Brugal or Presidente will repel the mosquitos, or at least you won't feel them.

Howmar, the 0.10 alcohol content in blood sounds like a sure cure for me.
Hope Presidente is good beer. Only Caribbean beer I sampled was Carib. I hear they are similar.
Look out pests, I plan on a little sun and consumption on my vacation!!

Exxtol

Jun 27, 2005
megamania said:

You know what's funny........I got bit wayyyyy more in the capital than i did in the country side. I'm talking 8-10 bites every evening--it was horrible--and the mosquitoes even bit through the deet. It didn't matter. All I know is the mosquitoes are persistent as hell--they bite again, and again, and again. Your best defense is a heavy duty fan--they couldn't fly near it.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Mosquito spray here is expensive compared to most other places!!! Bring it with you. AND make sure it has a high DEET count, over 22% or it is almost useless.

Rarely do I find this kind of repellant here and we are in a heavily touristed area.

Bring lots.... I am almost out tooo...LOL

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Meg,

Off - Deep Woods works well for me.

Available in Canada in Aerosol or pump spray. I recommend pump spray and transport it in a sealed ziplok bag.

Gregg

dontuseEltour

Feb 2, 2003
We go to a lot of places with bugs big one's and small blood suckers and just BIG.
The best we have found is Coppertone Bug and Sun works great on our boy but has a high spf factor is also water proof. And OFF Botanicals this is plant based but a loation worked better than spray as it didn't sweat of as quick, also was good at night after a day in the sun as it's loation.
We were in Central America and had the off batanical on and watched everone with spray get eaten alive so it does work for us anyway.

megamania

Sep 10, 2005
Deet!

planner said:
Mosquito spray here is expensive compared to most other places!!! Bring it with you. AND make sure it has a high DEET count, over 22% or it is almost useless.

Rarely do I find this kind of repellant here and we are in a heavily touristed area.

Bring lots.... I am almost out tooo...LOL
Hey,,,,the Deet is on the way,,,,but not till January!!!! Try to dodge the bugs till then. lol lol

All kidding aside, I would suspect it would be expensive to buy in D.R. and so,,,on that note, I will pack a little extra......any preferences???

Have a good one!!

Meg