Fuel Shortage affects the Dominican Passangers

Jun 5, 2004
Not that only AA is the only airline which is being affected by the high price of fuel but today AA decided to cancel flight 1889 from JFK to STI 1892 on the Return portion to save fuel. To accomodate passangers AA flight 833 was delayed and departed at the time which flight 1889 was due to depart. Guess airlines have to do something to save fuel.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
If two flights can be combined into one, it seems that occupancy had as much to do with this as fuel price.

Jun 5, 2004
santobonao said:
since there not alot of load now going on to dominican republic now, AA cancels sometimes one of its flight during low season.

Well that's the reason why flights 2295 to STI and 1683 to SDQ are not operating. But one would guess that this will solve the problems for the airline well I guess not. My friend was on 833 and that was the reason she was given.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
apdomini100max said:
Well that's the reason why flights 2295 to STI and 1683 to SDQ are not operating. But one would guess that this will solve the problems for the airline well I guess not. My friend was on 833 and that was the reason she was given.
And since when should the passengers believe the explanation given them. Blaming the cost of fuel is much more palatable than blaming the airline's lack of business.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
During the low season, a lot of the charters out of Toronto are doing double drops..Puerto Plata-Punta Cana and the same for the return journey..therefore fewer "direct" flights . Hopefully the regular schedules will resume in the winter since they've introduced yet another fuel surcharge (4th this year??).:ermm:

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
For what it's worth, my experience in the last several months is that much of these cancellations of flights, re-routes, etc., relate more to the lack of passenger reservations than it does with anything else. I went to Puerto Vallarta in August and, originally, was to have a 1 hour layover in Houston. But, when I arrived to my airport of departure, I was told that the layover would be 9 hours in Houston as a result of the cancellation of the flight that I was originally booked for.

I will also be flying in to Santiago next month and the flight that I had originally reserved to leave out of JFK at midnight has now been scrapped and I was booked on an earlier flight to Santiago, and have to leave on a much earlier flight for my departure back home. I did notice when making the original flight that there were not many reserved seats.

So, Im inclined to agree with HOWMAR, in that much of what you see relates more to a lack of reservations than it does any issues with fuel.

Jun 5, 2004
I totally agree with all of you guys but we have to realize that this also started happening more frequently when the prices of oil went BANANAS!!!