The latin grammys will be in spanish this year!

Sep 19, 2005
sure the year I get hooked they switch to spanish.....thats fine what i dont understand, ill read from the subtitles at the bottom !!!! ha ha ha.......bob

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Starts @ 8PM EST

I hope it won't be as biased as it usually is. I will be watching the event for sure but traditionally Dominican artists who are nominated in any category never win. Especially merengue it is always awarded to someone else. One thing I know for sure Olga Tañon can't win because she has not been nominated for album of the year. Two Dominican artists are: Toño Rosario and Kinito Méndez.

LDG.

Jun 5, 2004
Why did they switch it to Univision? To give more spanish people to watch the thing or was it to take it off an American channel?

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Since the Latin grammys began in 2000 it has always been on Univision. It used to be in Eng/ Span- the commentary. Apparently now it will be in Spanish only.

LDG.

apdomini100max said:
Why did they switch it to Univision? To give more spanish people to watch the thing or was it to take it off an American channel?

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Ricardo

Juan Luis' performance was great! A nice mix of songs -Ojal? que llueva cafe, La bilirrubina etc.

I even enjoyed the reggaet?n performance by Don Omar.

Now Cachao is on a Cuban Legend.

So far the Grammys seem more balanced this year. More Caribbean representation is what I mean.

LDG.

Ricardo900 said:
Juan Luis Guerra just performed and received a standing ovation.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I agree...

Yari my dear you bet! That music will always be pleasant to my ears. Cuban music is legendary on its own. Very hard to imitate that's why it is so well respected.

LDG.

Yari said:
The old salseros still got it :)

Yari

Aug 18, 2005
Lesley D said:
Yari my dear you bet! That music will always be pleasant to my ears. Cuban music is legendary on its own. Very hard to imitate that's why it is so well respected.

LDG.

Agreed Lesley! I would like to see some bachateros get some love though...some of them truly deserve it.

Yari

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Yari..

Don't hold your breath. Since I have been watching the Latin Grammys Dominican artists are ignored! It's a shame and I agree with you. Bachata is a genre exclusive to the DR so Dominican artists should be the primary candidates.

There is a beautiful article in today's Listin Diario because Monchy & Alexandra got nominated for 'best tropical album' which I think downplays the genre. The category s/b best bachata album of the year.

Anyway Vico C and Ivy Queen's performance just now was great. I must be delirious embracing all this reggaeton.

LDG.

Yari said:
Agreed Lesley! I would like to see some bachateros get some love though...some of them truly deserve it.

Yari

Yari

Aug 18, 2005
Lesley D said:
Don't hold your breath. Since I have been watching the Latin Grammys Dominican artists are ignored! It's a shame and I agree with you. Bachata is a genre exclusive to the DR so Dominican artists should be the primary candidates.

There is a beautiful article in today's Listin Diario because Monchy & Alexandra got nominated for 'best tropical album' which I think downplays the genre. The category s/b best bachata album of the year.

Anyway Vico C and Ivy Queen's performance just now was great. I must be delirious embracing all this reggaeton.

LDG.

Ill check out the article & you're right it should be a category on its own!

& lol at the regaeton comment :lick: you're warming up to it...I must admit that I like some of don omar's stuff and some of la caballota's stuff (but that's it!!)

Yari

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Yari

Reggaeton has its place for me-the nightclub! Yes, some of the songs are contagious but no matter how popular it gets or remains I don't see myself buying reggaeton albums and I am huge music collector as you know. I will always revert back to the big three- salsa, merengue and bachata. For example today on Despierta America they were celebrating the independence of Panama and they were playing La murga de Willie Colon. That's all it took for me to pull out that cd and play it on my way to work. I have a weakness for those genres but not reggaeton.

LDG.

Yari

Aug 18, 2005
lol, I know exactly what you mean about it's place being in the club especially when we're a lil tipsy ;). Where do you live (DR?)...I feel like raiding your CD collection!!

It's funny because today I was googling a Michel (Batista) CD and I found the thread on it. I absolutely love that song mi primavera.

Yari

Lesley D said:
Reggaeton has its place for me-the nightclub! Yes, some of the songs are contagious but no matter how popular it gets or remains I don't see myself buying reggaeton albums and I am huge music collector as you know. I will always revert back to the big three- salsa, merengue and bachata. For example today on Despierta America they were celebrating the independence of Panama and they were playing La murga de Willie Colon. That's all it took for me to pull out that cd and play it on my way to work. I have a weakness for those genres but not reggaeton.

LDG.

Yari

Aug 18, 2005
lol, dont be! I just have to admit though that "pobre diabla" by don omar I like...I think it has to do w/ the fact that his style is a lil different than the rest. that song is kinda bachataish...so dry your tears my pet:).

concon_quemao said:
HOW COULD YOU... :cry: im crushed@!

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Yari..

Estoy en Canadá. Raid my collection you better have a big basket! Like I said I am a collector- a serious one.

Well, the show is closing off now. I think it was one the bests ever thanks to the tropical rhythms. You see no mention of true Dominican music except for the performance by Juan Luis G.

Anyway Yari let me know if you read the article in El Listin Diario. I will save it for you...por si acaso.

LDG.

Yari said:
lol, I know exactly what you mean about it's place being in the club especially when we're a lil tipsy ;). Where do you live (DR?)...I feel like raiding your CD collection!!

It's funny because today I was googling a Michel (Batista) CD and I found the thread on it. I absolutely love that song mi primavera.

Yari

Last edited:

Yari

Aug 18, 2005
Lesley D said:
Estoy en Canad?. Raid my collection you better have a big basket! Like I said I am a collector- a serious one.

Well, the show is closing off now. I think it was one the bests ever thanks to the tropical rhythms. You see no mention of true Dominican music except for the performance by Juan Luis G.

Anyway Yari let me know if you read the article in El Listin Diario. I will save it for you...por si acaso.

LDG.

I did read the article...so who did win in that cotegory ?lbum Tropical contempor?neo? I must have missed it...but im out for tonight. I'm starting to type things that I dont understand:ermm: must need sleep

tata, yari

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Yari..

Carlos Vives won 'best tropical album'. Okay by me I like his vallenato and also he is a good live performer. ¡Que viva Colombia!

Here are some of the other categories (from MSN Latino):

Mejor Canción Tropical: 'Las avispas', Juan Luis Guerra, (Juan Luis Guerra 4:40).
Mejor álbum de salsa: 'Valió la pena', Marc Anthony.
Mejor álbum de merengue: 'Saboréalo', Elvis Crespo.

-You see Yari this is what I mean. Dominican artists in these award shows are ignored. In my opinion Elvis Crespo's music is a watered down version of merengue. Definitely not Dominican sounding! I liked him better when he was with Grupo Manía.

Mejor álbum tropical contemporáneo: 'El rock de mi pueblo', Carlos Vives.
Mejor álbum tropical tradicional: 'Ahora sí!', Cachao.

LDG.

Yari said:
I did read the article...so who did win in that cotegory Álbum Tropical contemporáneo? I must have missed it...but im out for tonight. I'm starting to type things that I dont understand:ermm: must need sleep

tata, yari

Last edited:

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
you gotta be kidding

Lesley D said:
Mejor ?lbum de merengue: 'Sabor?alo', Elvis Crespo.
LDG.
I can't believe "El Suavamente" won best merengue album, I know there are better merengue albums out there.

Yari

Aug 18, 2005
Lesley D said:
Carlos Vives won 'best tropical album'. Okay by me I like his vallenato and also he is a good live performer. ?Que viva Colombia!

Here are some of the other categories (from MSN Latino):

Mejor Canci?n Tropical: 'Las avispas', Juan Luis Guerra, (Juan Luis Guerra 4:40).
Mejor ?lbum de salsa: 'Vali? la pena', Marc Anthony.
Mejor ?lbum de merengue: 'Sabor?alo', Elvis Crespo.

-You see Yari this is what I mean. Dominican artists in these award shows are ignored. In my opinion Elvis Crespo's music is a watered down version of merengue. Definitely not Dominican sounding! I liked him better when he was with Grupo Man?a.

Mejor ?lbum tropical contempor?neo: 'El rock de mi pueblo', Carlos Vives.
Mejor ?lbum tropical tradicional: 'Ahora s?!', Cachao.

LDG.
Yes I love Carlos Vives too so I can be mad @ that one. Marc is hot right now so I cant be mad at that either plus I love his stuff always..but like Ricardo said, are you f...ing kidding me with the merengue category!!! That guy (& I use the term lightly) hasn't had anything good out in a while. I also agree that he better served the listening public when he was in Mania. Why can't these awards people just accept that merengue is a Dominican thang?

Yari