Metro Bus = Excellent method of transportation!!!

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Hi everyone :)

I took the Metro bus from Santo Domingo to Santiago.

The seats are soft and comfortable, it has A/C, and a bathroom.
But there is no TV.

It costs only 220 pesos.

But keep in mind, the bus will leave as scheduled. For example, if your bus leaves at 12, it will leave at 12 sharp!

Gringoloco

Feb 10, 2005
caribe tours aint so bad either...

you got me do dig up my reciept from my trip to the DR a year ago. Dated 12/10/04 one way from Sosua to Santiago Tarifa = 80 pesos!

Como si dice bargain??

I paid US $80 to go from Santiago to Sosua a week earlier via taxi.

Next time I go I will be going via bus.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
AHHHHHH, the sweet voices of experience....

As I sit here and cry, remembering the time it was RD$5.00 each way to STO DGO..:(

Yeah, and Cokes were 10¢, Johnny Walker Red Label was RD$6.66 in Mao and Barbacourt rhum was US$1.25 a litre...

AH those were the days. RD$2.50 by Linea Duarte to Santo Domingo door-to-door in big Chevy Impalas....kings of the road...

HB :D:D

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Gringoloco said:
you got me do dig up my reciept from my trip to the DR a year ago. Dated 12/10/04 one way from Sosua to Santiago Tarifa = 80 pesos!

Como si dice bargain??

Yes, Caribe Tours is a bargain. It, too, has comfortable seats, AC, bathroom, and some buses have TV. Prices have been increased several times since 2004 due rising fuel prices, but have remained below those of Metro. My trip from Sosua to Santo Domingo this week cost RD$240 each way. Don't know price from Santiago to Santo Domingo, but less than RD$200.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
It's a shame that both Caribe Tours and And Metro Bus don't either include the airports (SDQ, POP, STI) in their routes or have a shuttle from the airports to the bus stations.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
You guys don't mention that the bathrooms on these busses are so dirty that no woman can use them ...... yuk! But other than that they're pretty comfy.

Stay well,
Amy

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
HOWMAR said:
It's a shame that both Caribe Tours and And Metro Bus don't either include the airports (SDQ, POP, STI) in their routes or have a shuttle from the airports to the bus stations.

I agree with you--it would be an excellent idea.

It would save us a lot of money.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
HOWMAR said:

I doubt it will ever happen. Taxi unions too strong.

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
Metro and Caribe Tours not the same.

On Metro you get a more upscale type clientele, the buses are quiet and all you hear is the occasional cell phone and some light background music. On Caribe Tours you get loud TV and music, more lower class clientele and even some riff-raff. It may be snobby but Metro is well worth the price difference.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
As mentioned earlier the buses don't travel to the airports due to the taxi unions hold on the service rendered there.

The main highway is about 3/4 of a miles from the airport so your options are;

1. Taxi to the bus terminal.

2. Depending on your amount of luggage a walk to the main highway and flag down a local bus to town which then requires a taxi to the bus terminal.

3. A taxi to the highway, flag down a bus like number 2.

4. If not much luggage involved a motorchoncha to the highway and then 2 above.

javi0680

Oct 29, 2006
As mentioned earlier the buses don't travel to the airports due to the taxi unions hold on the service rendered there.

The main highway is about 3/4 of a miles from the airport so your options are;

1. Taxi to the bus terminal.

2. Depending on your amount of luggage a walk to the main highway and flag down a local bus to town which then requires a taxi to the bus terminal.

3. A taxi to the highway, flag down a bus like number 2.

4. If not much luggage involved a motorchoncha to the highway and then 2 above.

How much is the taxi fare from the airport to the terminal?

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Just for what it's worth information wise. The gua-gua (bus) from the main highway at SD airport cost about 35 pesos to SD. A taxi from the airport to the highway should cost no more then 50 pesos (I wouldn't pay more then that). The taxi in SD to the bus terminal shouldn't cost more then 100 pesos but they will try to get you to pay 120 to 150 pesos.

Therefore if you wished to travel like a typical Dominican the total fare can be done for about 250 pesos which is about US$7.50 and no more then 10 dollars.

If the taxis are charging US$30 then you can see the mark up that their monopoly of their service from the airport is costing you.

Rick

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Just for what it's worth information wise. The gua-gua (bus) from the main highway at SD airport cost about 35 pesos to SD. A taxi from the airport to the highway should cost no more then 50 pesos (I wouldn't pay more then that). The taxi in SD to the bus terminal shouldn't cost more then 100 pesos but they will try to get you to pay 120 to 150 pesos.

Therefore if you wished to travel like a typical Dominican the total fare can be done for about 250 pesos which is about US$7.50 and no more then 10 dollars.

If the taxis are charging US$30 then you can see the mark up that their monopoly of their service from the airport is costing you.

Rick
In theory sounds good, but it ain't gonna happen.
First flaw is that no airport taxi will give up his position in the queue (they keep a chalkboard of whose turn is next) to take passengers with luggage just to the highway for 35 pesos. The second flaw in your logic is saying that the US$30 is high for a one-way ride. You fail to take into consideration that the taxi must dead-head back to the airport as union rules prevent him from picking up a passenger in SD for the return.(The same rules preventing a city taxi from picking up a passenger at the airport after a dropoff.)
For most, door to door (airport to terminal) for US$30 is the way even most Dominicans who can afford to fly will go.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
I have no idea as to why you wish to argue the semantics of the mark up of a monopoly with me when I was just pointing out the reality of the situation as it stands.

As I have found taxis, (not so marked), out in the parking lot that will take you where ever you wish to go, for a price, that are not a part of the regular taxis. This may be in contridiction to the established rules of the taxi union but it is still in fact done as that is the Dominican way.

You won't see a line of motoconchas waiting to carry you to your destination but they too can be acquired in the parking lot if that happens to be your desired way to travel.

For every stupid law that this country has it has an equal amount of people that are willing to circumvent said laws for the purpose of earning a living.

The same can be said with the supposed 'dead-head' rule. If you think the over abundance of taxis all adhere to that rule I have a bridge I want to sell you.

The information I supplied earlier was information only with the words "for what it's worth". It can be done because I have done it. The only difference is that upon reaching the highway I go East to El Seybo rather than West to SD. I was just trying to show actual costs for transportation versus that which the taxi union charges. Nothing more nothing less.

It must also be emphasized that the mode of travel that I mentioned is very difficult when luggage is involved but as my post was only for the purpose of showing the markup equated to a monopoly I think I have proven that.

I mentioned in my post 'a typical Dominican' and your post said 'Dominicans that can afford to fly' and I will concur with your statement. Enough said.

Rick