santiago/puerto plata map

pumy

Sep 17, 2005
Hi everyone,
can anyone tell me where i can find a detailed map of the Santiago provience, and puerto plata? I'm tryign to gather info for a friend of mine. and I'm having no luck :tired:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The US Geological Survey has some 25000::1 maps if you can get them....

I am sure that there must be some onthe internet, too. In fact thare was a thread on this not too long ago. Do a search on this site and see...

What are you looking for, maybe I can help..

HB :D:D:D:D

pumy

Sep 17, 2005
well i'm looking for a map of the most northern part of santiago, where it meets puerto plata. i think the community is called Ruale? Or Ruole? My boyfriend is going to be serving there in the peace corps. Ofcourse i didn't write the community name down!!.. i will do a search, thanks.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No way that is the name of any place in the area.

You might be trying to write Rural/////??????

Try and get me a name....Pedro Garcá, Altamira, El Llano are all in the area. He might be in a section that is not usually on the maps...What kind of work will he be doing in the Peace Corps?

Anyway he is not that far from Santiago (or Puerto Plata for that matter) so he can get in touch real easy..

HB :D:D

Ex-PCV 62-64 :p

pumy

Sep 17, 2005
not rural.. he said it was the name of a family, and almost certian it began with an R. He's going to be in the sanitation/water building area. He did say it was a small community, so I probably won't find too much i suppose. I have to ask him whenever i hear from him next. You were a PCV?! cool! where did you serve/what did you do?

pumy

Sep 17, 2005
the name of the community (probably very small) is Los Ruales and he'll be the first volunteer to serve in the area

Sep 19, 2005
whats with all these maps....none of them SEEM to show STI on the map...I drive from the airport into Moca and i know the turns I make and i dont travel across the roads shown on these maps to get to moca from the airport...so the best i can tell is that none of them are actually showing the new STI airport on them. And are showing the old airport in the city!......Does anyone have a map of the area showing exactly where the STI airport is located?.... thanks...........Bob

Sep 19, 2005
ok this has always bothered me, because i know i am good with maps and directions, and seldom get lost. I looked up some older posts about the airport and various directions to and from..especially the one a few years ago to Puerto platta.. and which path was the best. Through moca and up north and then west to sosua or, through santiago and north to PP and then east to Sosua...

And i have figured that the airport MUST be in between rte 14 and rte 1

...come out of the airport looking at the parking lot and you are facing SOUTH.... go south on the main road there and you hit rte 1..turn right and you are going into santiago...turn left and you are heading towards La Vega. But if you make a direct left from the aiport parking lots, you head east. At the first road turn left and you are heading north and eventually come to rte 14!!! turn left and you are heading to santiago!!!, turn right and you are heading towards Moca!!!...I have taken it a half dozen times aleady.... and every map was always showing the "airport" NORTH of route 14!!!!!!!... that drove me crazy thinking how can i come to route 14 and turn right to go to Moca if I was coming from the north!!!!!!!!! crazy.......man I feel much better now.....can anyone verify that info.....or better yet come up with a map showing the STI airport exactly where it really is?........

now on to the next question.....traffic considered( trucks especially) is it faster still to go to Sosua Via the Moca-San Victor- Jamao al Norte route??????

even with the "all's fair in love and war AND DRIVING IN THE DR" rules. ...ie pass when ever you feel the need, just make sure all other occupants have blinders on....is the mountain road that goes north out of santiago(rte 25) the best route to Sosua from the area right close to STI( thats where I stay when in the DR) or can one really save time and keep the blood pressure by taking the other route?.... thanks...bob

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2005
come on one of you guys got to be able to verify for me that that dammmm airport is where I think it is.......dont hold out on me!!!!!!!!!!!!!.........bob