Transportation to Puerto Plata from Santiago

lucky49

Nov 8, 2005
I am looking for the best way to get from STI to my RIU in Puerto Plata. I know I can book a transfer for about $85 online, but I was wondering if it is easy to get a bus or local taxi....any advice?

I have never been to DR(don't know if that makes a difference)

Thanks

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You can take a cab from airport to your hotel in Puerto Plata, or a cab from airport to terminal of Caribe Tours. When bus gets to Puerto Plata, take a cab to hotel.

If you transfer to POP, you will need to take a taxi from that airport to hotel.

If you are getting to STI during day, no problem getting a Caribe Tours bus as one leaves every hour. But if arriving at night or in early morning hours, your best bet might be a taxi all the way. What time do you get to STI?

lucky49

Nov 8, 2005
The flight lands at STI at 10:30am on Thursday morning and we leave on sunday afternoon at 5:20pm...

So I need to cab to Caribe Tours and take a bus...where is the bus going to drop me, that I need to take a cab again?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Here is your solution:
You email palomalinda0890@hotmail.com
You give them your arrival time and flight number
You make a deal with them to pick you up and take you to RIU
It will cost you about $50 bucks-door to door
Rocío has just had a baby, but I am sure that her husband JJ will take excellent care of you. He speaks very good English and , of course so does she.

If you want her phone number, just send me a PM...

And you can arrange for JJ to pick you up in time for your return flight.

RIU is about 50 minutes from the airport over a pretty nice highway.

HB :D:D:D

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Hillbilly said:
Here is your solution:
You email palomalinda0890@hotmail.com
You give them your arrival time and flight number
You make a deal with them to pick you up and take you to RIU
It will cost you about $50 bucks-door to door
Roc?o has just had a baby, but I am sure that her husband JJ will take excellent care of you. He speaks very good English and , of course so does she.

If you want her phone number, just send me a PM...

And you can arrange for JJ to pick you up in time for your return flight.

RIU is about 50 minutes from the airport over a pretty nice highway.

I agree with HB. If you are going to take a cab, use JJ. He is extremely reliable with a very comfortable car. Plus he is an excellent tour guide for Santiago and/or the North Coast.

JJ/Rocio, congratulations on the baby!

Hi Luis ! How are you? Just sent them (Rocio) an email. Problem is we will have four people and all their luggage plus we would need to stop at a grocery store before we leave Santiago for Costambar! Work on house starts this month!
Kathie

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
kjt96 said:
Problem is we will have four people and all their luggage plus we would need to stop at a grocery store before we leave Santiago for Costambar!
Four people with luggage should be no problem for JJ. He has a very comfortable minivan. He also has no problems making stops. BTW, you might be better off stopping at a supermarket in POP, so you perishables won't perish on the trip.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
since you dont speak any spanish I HIGHLY suggest using this guy or some other english speaking recommended taxi. If you could understand and speak even some spanish I would have suggested either Caribe Tours or Metro is another busline that goes to/from Santiago/Puerta Plata and is even cheaper. my last trip from Peurta Plata to Santiago in February was 70 pesos or just over 2 dollars!I will say carrying luggage also makes me want to use a taxi. I am coming in for a visit in 3 more weeks and with my luggage i am definitely using a taxi.

rellosk said:
Four people with luggage should be no problem for JJ. He has a very comfortable minivan. He also has no problems making stops. BTW, you might be better off stopping at a supermarket in POP, so you perishables won't perish on the trip.
I've heard the grocery stores in Santiago have a bigger selection, etc. Plus we should come to Costambar - where our house is - BEFORE Puerto Plata.
How long does the drive from Santiago airport to Costambar (between Cofresi and Puerto Plata) take?
Thanks! Appreciate the help and the humor!
Kathie

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
KJT96: I just sent you a PM with basically the same thing that rellosk said.

No problems with any of that.

The drive from the airport->Supermarket-> Costambar will be about an hour and a half--depending on who is doing the shopping at the supermarket...:p:p

the actual drive is just about an hour.

Cordially,

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Oh Great Guru !!

;) Hb are you saying the the Highway from Santiago to Puerto Plata is in good shape?...Dominus Tecum

Zeus (primus inter pares)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The tunnel route is in fine shape and they are working on major repairs on the "mountain" road.

(that's the duarte highway and the Carretera Luperón for you newbies!:p)

HB

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Do all your shopping in Santiago. The road from Santiago to just short of Costambar is OK. From Costambar to downtown Puerto Plata the road is torn up for a major sewar and repaving project. It currently takes an hour for the trip from Costambar ot POP during construction hours. This project will take at least another month to complete.

tomtuke

Oct 26, 2006
HB,

I presume that the same cab advice would apply for getting from STI to the Marien Coral Hilton in Puerto Plata. Any idea of the cab fare? I just booked a week for 4/21/07-4/28/07. Too soon to email the cab driver?

Thanks.

Tom Tuke

kcl060

Dec 10, 2006
I speak Spanish fluently and I was wondering if you still recommend JJ as far as cost and reliability. I want to go from Santiago to Puerto Plata as well.